Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Funding new bank/CU account(s) with a credit card - Postmortem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funding new bank/CU account(s) with a credit card - Postmortem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:48 am

This still seems good to go. With it being on View From the Wing though who knows how long it will last.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
JerMah: Someday you're going to look back on this thread and realize your error. It may not be apparent to you now, but wait a few years!
My error? I brought up the concept, which is not a new one. If you're jumping on the bandwagon of those who believe, in their heart of hearts, that this concept was somehow secretive, perhaps you need to realize your error.

The specific CU was leaked on FWF, and many members have accounts both at FWF and FT. I didn't leak it. Don't act like I did. Also, another thread was created here (and since, has been merged with mine) regarding the exact CU I'm speaking of. Don't pin this on me, Mr. High and Mighty.

ETA: On top of the above, which I strongly stand by what I said, everyone keeps saying that this type of discussion should be had via PM. Honestly, how selfish can people be? What, is there some elite group of flyertalk membership that I'm supposed to PM? I don't know people here enough to know whether or not to discuss this type of thing with. Those of you who believe that this should be discussed via PM should, perhaps, rethink the concept of a forum. Especially one that promotes discussion about being frugal and/or exploiting credit cards, reward programs, and the like. Absolutely pathetic.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:58 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 6:52 am
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by JerMah
ETA: On top of the above, which I strongly stand by what I said, everyone keeps saying that this type of discussion should be had via PM. Honestly, how selfish can people be? What, is there some elite group of flyertalk membership that I'm supposed to PM? I don't know people here enough to know whether or not to discuss this type of thing with. Those of you who believe that this should be discussed via PM should, perhaps, rethink the concept of a forum. Especially one that promotes discussion about being frugal and/or exploiting credit cards, reward programs, and the like. Absolutely pathetic.
It definitely seems that PMs are the way things are going because noobies and others constantly exploit them to the max right from the start. With many of these things it's better to go slowly, which more experience people understand. I'm not in the "elite group" either, but I certainly understand and respect why they keep information away from the public forums.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babyshark31
It definitely seems that PMs are the way things are going because noobies and others constantly exploit them to the max right from the start. With many of these things it's better to go slowly, which more experience people understand. I'm not in the "elite group" either, but I certainly understand and respect why they keep information away from the public forums.
I just don't understand, then. I guess I am incapable of understanding. If there is an exploit to be had, why not share it with the community you contribute to? Holding back information is an elitist, entitled, douchey move.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Many folks with sensitive deals are more than happy to help you out via PM - they just ask that you give it some thought yourself first.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Many folks with sensitive deals are more than happy to help you out via PM - they just ask that you give it some thought yourself first.
How am I supposed to know that someone has a sensitive deal? If they don't post about it, am I just supposed to PM random people asking if they know of exploits? Seems counter-intuitive for a forum atmosphere.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:09 am

Because when it is shared with the community it is subsequently killed because so many people try to get in on it. An exploit can survive for a long time with 500 people are aware of it and don't max it out right from the start. When 50,000 people become aware of it through FT, SD, FW, etc and subsequently exploit it to the max right from the start, the bank/hotel/airline/etc will notice and close the exploit.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babyshark31
Because when it is shared with the community it is subsequently killed because so many people try to get in on it. An exploit can survive for a long time with 500 people are aware of it and don't max it out right from the start. When 50,000 people become aware of it through FT, SD, FW, etc and subsequently exploit it to the max right from the start, the bank/hotel/airline/etc will notice and close the exploit.
I understand the logic, but this isn't the place for that. When you have a forum of many thousands of members, the point is to share information with them. Not just some group of "500" elite people. If those people only want to share amongst themselves, they can go create their own, private, site and talk there like they're members of an exclusive club.

It's sad that people are trying to justify this behavior. I know, damn well, that the FT staff agrees with me, too. This type of discussion (my original topic) is what FT thrives on, and its own members are trying to steer FT away from that concept of community sharing.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: many
How am I supposed to know that someone has a sensitive deal? If they don't post about it, am I just supposed to PM random people asking if they know of exploits? Seems counter-intuitive for a forum atmosphere.
Try to imagine for a moment someone less intelligent than you. Are you there yet?

Okay, now, multiply those people by thousands and gather them in one place. Now share with them something you know that if you share it with them all those people will likely pull stupid moves and ruin the thing you shared with them.

Seem productive now?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pcharles
Try to imagine for a moment someone less intelligent than you. Are you there yet?

Okay, now, multiply those people by thousands and gather them in one place. Now share with them something you know that if you share it with them all those people will likely pull stupid moves and ruin the thing you shared with them.

Seem productive now?
Less intelligent? There goes that elitist, entitlement mindset I was speaking of...

Do you realize how you sound? From that one post, alone?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: many
Less intelligent? There goes that elitist, entitlement mindset I was speaking of...

Do you realize how you sound? From that one post, alone?
Sigh
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:20 am

I understand the logic, but this isn't the place for that. When you have a forum of many thousands of members, the point is to share information with them. Not just some group of "500" elite people. If those people only want to share amongst themselves, they can go create their own, private, site and talk there like they're members of an exclusive club.

It's sad that people are trying to justify this behavior. I know, damn well, that the FT staff agrees with me, too. This type of discussion (my original topic) is what FT thrives on, and its own members are trying to steer FT away from that concept of community sharing.
These "elite" members are all members of FT. It's easy for them to do it here since they're all here anyways. Some people have created their own private sites, but it's much easier just to do it over PMs or even emails than do that.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:21 am

It's sad that people are trying to justify this behavior. I know, damn well, that the FT staff agrees with me, too. This is what FT thrives on, and its own members are trying to steer FT away from that concept of community sharing.
And I understand your reasoning, but what's your solution? Just gold rush every deal that comes up and kill them instantly?

Deals stay alive when the people who know about them are sensible enough to keep them alive. It's not too difficult to filter out people who will kill the deal by exercising some reasonable discretion -- things like using hints rather than spelling out the details and using PMs. Nobody's born as a member of any elite group -- it's just networking of people who demonstrate sensibility with regard to sensitive deals.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:22 am

tough to keep these things quiet when they're posted in a public forum. Even with the coding, it will never stay quiet forever. On to the next one. I'm in for a small account to meet a spend but too conservative to max this one out..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.