Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

General Question on cash back with retail purchase

Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, United

Hello Fellow FT'ers

With the constant crack down of prepaid debit cards, I was thinking that the safest way to keep an account active is to use it for regular transactions. So what if I use a prepaid card 3-4 times in grocery stores every week and get cash back of say 200$ each trip. Will the card issuer know that I am getting cash back or will it look like a regular grocery store purchase.

Please share your thoughts/experiences.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:02 pm

I once tried to use my WF prepaid to get cash back at Staples & it was denied. I initially thought I had been shut down but a few minutes later I was able to use the same WF prepaid to pay at a fast food joint. The only thing that made sense why the cashback transaction did not work at Staples was that I have reached the $1500 ATM withdrawal limits for that week. This makes me think that the issuing banks do know when you get cash back from a merchant although I never formally verified this as fact.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rambo
Hello Fellow FT'ers

With the constant crack down of prepaid debit cards, I was thinking that the safest way to keep an account active is to use it for regular transactions. So what if I use a prepaid card 3-4 times in grocery stores every week and get cash back of say 200$ each trip. Will the card issuer know that I am getting cash back or will it look like a regular grocery store purchase.

Please share your thoughts/experiences.
Yes, they know

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.