Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
Originally Posted by Jamjaw
Was the large retail chain founded by the husband of Tessa Cohen?
No, It's "The Range"
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
I'm going to open this up as I have used this method to my intended aim now. Range Prepaid cards. Provided by large retail chain. You top up at the tills buying vouchers. No load fee on the vouchers, they take Amex. Do what you want with this information!

http://www.therangeprepaidmastercard.co.uk/tsandcs.php
How is this manufactured spending ?All it is is deferred spending, moving spend from Amex onto a prepaid card.

Manufactured spending is putting cash thru a card without having to have any or very little overall outlay, such as that mentioned in the 1st post. Other than the 1.5% fee, its totally free spend, you buy your TC and then put them in your bank.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC, KOP 305
Originally Posted by tangey
How is this manufactured spending ?All it is is deferred spending, moving spend from Amex onto a prepaid card.

Manufactured spending is putting cash thru a card without having to have any or very little overall outlay, such as that mentioned in the 1st post. Other than the 1.5% fee, its totally free spend, you buy your TC and then put them in your bank.
Now now, let's not give away more information than needed
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
Originally Posted by tangey

You can load the card for free and then withdraw it to a bank account for 4 pounds. This is the very definition of manufactured spending.

This is lower in cost than the scheme you purport to advocate by a significant margin.

I would also ask if you feel that the dismissive and curt manner of your response was needed?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
No, It's "The Range"
Ah-ha. All makes more sense now - had never heard of them... Might be doing a trip there later...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:24 am

I see, pity there are none anywhere near me.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:23 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Brief previous discussion of UK post office one4all gift card has been merged into this thread.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:29 pm

This is lower in cost than the scheme you purport to advocate by a significant margin.

I would also ask if you feel that the dismissive and curt manner of your response was needed

I am neither advocating a system, nor being dismissive/curt. The system that you mentioned talked about loading money onto a pre-paid card, which is fine, but did not suggest there was a way to get it off again, and thus as described is a classic description of deferred spending.

Now that you have indicated that there is a way to get the money back, it is proper manufactured spending
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The range card appears to have a maximum load of 6,500 per year.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:46 pm

So it might arose some suspicion by going in with large amounts. 4 is very reasnoble.

Supposing you get 500 on to it then you only pay 0.8% fee.

Has anyone actually withdrawn to an account yet? What amounts did you guys use?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
So it might arose some suspicion by going in with large amounts. 4 is very reasnoble.

Supposing you get 500 on to it then you only pay 0.8% fee.

Has anyone actually withdrawn to an account yet? What amounts did you guys use?
I did large amounts on a Priority club visa and a hilton visa. I put 3k on there before I used bacs to get it to myself. If you time it right, you can also stooze using this method.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:01 pm

I have also used the spark prepaid at a petrol station, getting double points using an amex gold charge card for only around 1.5% of the money churned. As Raffles said before though, you shouldn't go abusing inexperienced staff in small stores as this will put the retailer out of pocket. The chain I used was Texaco and I generally added the transaction to my petrol purchases. Max refil was 250 a time, so not as quick as some methods.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TheAberdonian
Alas he does not accept Paypal. As i am now officially addicted to maximising spend, I am loathe to just pay him into his account without first looking at all the options.
Assuming he is UK based, then he should take Paypal. Tell him!

No cost to him - he still receives 100% of money as long as you elect to pay the PP fee. And he can transfer the cash directly into his bank account. Seems a win-win to me.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
On a gift payment of 6k to a new account there is every chance Paypal would freeze the money for several weeks and/or require him to fax/send innumerable proofs of ID and address.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Can I just run this by you guys to make sure I've got my sums and everything else worked out ok:

1. I get The Range/Spark card
2. I go to a Payzone and use my Credit Card to load 300 onto it
3. I get charged 1.99 to do this
4. I repeat steps 1-3, three times
5. My Credit Card bill comes in with a 3 standard charges of 300, total 900.
6. Transfer balance of Range/Spark card into by bank account for 4
7. Pay off Credit Card with a pament of 900, with no extra fees to pay.

Job done.

Yes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.