Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:02 am

Thanks for the replies. It seems the EU has placed restrictions on anonymous payment methods to limit money laundering and terrorism. I have found some off-shore options but the fees are eye watering. I'm assuming The Range cards now need to be registered too before they can be topped up.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Originally Posted by luckyjim
I'm assuming The Range cards now need to be registered too before they can be topped up.
Yes, but I think you're onto a bit of a dead end with that one!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by luckyjim
Thanks for the replies. It seems the EU has placed restrictions on anonymous payment methods to limit money laundering and terrorism. I have found some off-shore options but the fees are eye watering. I'm assuming The Range cards now need to be registered too before they can be topped up.
The prepaid card fees here are just too expensive and not worth it real. Suppose you can use Billhop to pay bills? It's like Platiq but the EU version. 3% fee.

You basically pay with an Amex then they do a bank transfer on your behalf.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:18 am

I have been round and round this forum. I have looked at curve and paypal, range and god knows what else. I feel I am far to late to this party.
I had a wonderful experience collecting tesco club card points which sent us on holiday to florida with virgin for several years before tesco rudely down graded the club card point.
I then started with the va flying miles, and by hook or by crook I've managed several more flights out of them.
But I need to change tack ticks.
I am just in the process of moving my loyalty to ba, but I have missed calculated and need 41k flying club miles which I am not willing to pay Ł650 for.
I know that its not good to post public info But can someone please help me. I am in my cool off period for amex too ahhhhh
Please
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by millsmum
I have been round and round this forum. I have looked at curve and paypal, range and god knows what else. I feel I am far to late to this party.
I had a wonderful experience collecting tesco club card points which sent us on holiday to florida with virgin for several years before tesco rudely down graded the club card point.
I then started with the va flying miles, and by hook or by crook I've managed several more flights out of them.
But I need to change tack ticks.
I am just in the process of moving my loyalty to ba, but I have missed calculated and need 41k flying club miles which I am not willing to pay Ł650 for.
I know that its not good to post public info But can someone please help me. I am in my cool off period for amex too ahhhhh
Please
Can't you get the Amex PRG and just MS your way there? If you're prepared to pay a little, 41k points is achievable in a month, even without the sign up bonus. If you're willing to buy and sell products you could probably do that volume for much less than Ł650 - though you'd have to hope it'll still be available by the time it's done. Alternatively you could try the old buying expensive flights well in advance trick then get a refund once you've booked your redemption. But you'd have to put the account right after, or you'll be paying an unfavourable rate for those points!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
Can't you get the Amex PRG and just MS your way there? If you're prepared to pay a little, 41k points is achievable in a month, even without the sign up bonus. If you're willing to buy and sell products you could probably do that volume for much less than Ł650 - though you'd have to hope it'll still be available by the time it's done. Alternatively you could try the old buying expensive flights well in advance trick then get a refund once you've booked your redemption. But you'd have to put the account right after, or you'll be paying an unfavourable rate for those points!
PRG? sorry I can't work out which one that is? is that just a gold one?
can I open a starwood one?
If I have had a gold amex reward then which other one can I have? I am opening a BA one hopefully, which I should have held off with as thats for 2019.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by millsmum
PRG? sorry I can't work out which one that is? is that just a gold one?
can I open a starwood one?
If I have had a gold amex reward then which other one can I have? I am opening a BA one hopefully, which I should have held off with as thats for 2019.
You can have two credit and two charge cards at once. The PRG card is indeed the gold once. Make sure someone refers you so you get more welcome bonus points!

A note on MS with Amex. Be careful of what you see doing and do mix in some normal and MS. The Amex Credit Review Team do audit accounts and do Financial Reviews. I learned it in the relatively hard way.

​​​​​
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:42 pm

​​FOR YOUR BENEFIT. I AM TO ATTACH A BRIEF SUMMARY OF WHAT WOULD HAPPEN FOR AN AMEX FR IN THE UK:

1. No advance notice would be given. First red flag is small spending amounts are declined and the check spending power tool declined you for Ł10.
2. As you phone up, after you pass security on the pad, you will be directed to an agent immediately without an option. You will notice the people you are going to speak with is collet than your normal cheerful staffs. If you are here then well done. You are now speaking to the credit review team. You may speak to the fraud team though if they ask for a reference number...
3. They will ask your card number and security all over again and inform they are doing an audit on your account. All spending will be suspended immediately. A letter will also be senty automatically to your address.
4. To speed up the process, ask what they are after. They would usually say your three months worth of bank statement on the bank account you used to pay your bills. Moreover, they would ask for a payslip and utility bill.
5. They will then send an email to you and just upload the documents there.
6. They will respond within five working days
7. If you are in a rush, call at least once a day to chase it up. I need to a trio that weekend so I called on Monday and all done on Thursday by 5pm.
8. You will receive a latter if the decision by post. If you are honest with the income declaration and provided the documents they wanted then your account will most likely be opened. However, they may I pose a maximum spending limit. To spend more than that you will need to first clear the balance.
9. The decision will be reviewed once every six months.
10. Charge card review tram is different from Credit card review team. You will be rejected for any Amex products as you try to apply when a limit is in place (they won't even do a credit check - - they wold say pending decision and automatically decline you immediately after). Notd this may be different for the Gold credit card and other lowered product. SPG is NOT a low end product
11. They work between Monday and Friday 9-5 if I remember that right.

Last edited by cysyuen; Nov 26, 2017 at 5:47 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Revolut doesn’t have any card fees now (thanks EU), so in theory you could top up with any points earning visa/MasterCard and then withdraw to your bank straight away for free too...
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:26 pm
inY

Originally Posted by Lewis King
Revolut doesn’t have any card fees now (thanks EU), so in theory you could top up with any points earning visa/MasterCard and then withdraw to your bank straight away for free too...
Don't use Android Pay. Classes as “money orders - wire transfer” which often codes as a cash advance rather than “financial institutions - merchandises and services”.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:11 am

I would be wary of this as they will likely take a dim view on cycling the money through and close your account.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:56 pm

I've done the research already - to stop you wasting you time, you will be charged a cash advance fee, no interest free period on the transaction and get no points.
Aus_Mal and cysyuen like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
I've done the research already - to stop you wasting you time, you will be charged a cash advance fee, no interest free period on the transaction and get no points.
Don't we just feel envious of what FTers in the US can do?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Also revolut take a very dim view of "top up and transfer out" unless you are exchanging the currency. Expect to be shut down very quickly. Like @TheUrbanite i was also charged a cash advance fee across all the cards i hold.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by cysyuen
Don't we just feel envious of what FTers in the US can do?
I won't lie and deny that I've looked into getting a couple of US cards, but no dice. Just have to enjoy the opportunities we have - still get a couple of nice trips a year out of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.