Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Retailers that allow large Cash Back with purchase

Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Are all these CB options using Debit Cards, not credit cards?
only CC I know you can do cashback is Discover card (they call it cash over) at WM up to $120 per 24 hrs. It is not treated as cash advance but you don't earn cashback for it. At other grocery stores, I noticed that since its a CC and no PIN, the cashback option screen does not come out.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by buffball1
What is the advantage of cash back? I'm assuming if you use BB/Emerald card you can think of ways to move the money, is this for people who have low dollar gift cards? If I spend $20 on groceries but take out an extra $50, I'm losing the $20 in CC points if I'm using the prepaid GC, isn't the objective to always maximize points?
I used my USBuxx to get CB while buying something on sale at the store and they have the coupon for it making them just a few cents sometimes. Or let's say bananas are on sale 33 cents/lb, I buy one piece, then I press the $50 cashback. I like that it also posts as a purchase in my account history so that works for varying activity in my card instead of just load and w/d. In other words, I use prepaid cards for purchases $1 or less for purposes of getting CB.

If I'm spending more than $1, I choose the card with at least 1.5% CB or if it's an amex qualified grocery store, I use blue cash to maximize profit.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:18 am

Kroger self checkout is $100, and raises no questions. They're loaded with money too! Just hit it over and over
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by haloseven
Kroger self checkout is $100, and raises no questions. They're loaded with money too! Just hit it over and over
Is there a minimum purchase? Theoretically one could buy a single sample of candy for like 25 and then do cash back.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:16 am

Just so we're clear, there is nothing underhanded or unusual about buying a very small item with a debit card, and getting cash back. Plenty of people use it in lieu of an ATM.

For customers, it's convenient and cheaper. For stores, it draws customers into the store and also offloads their risky cash into less-risky debit card electronic transactions.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Just so we're clear, there is nothing underhanded or unusual about buying a very small item with a debit card, and getting cash back. Plenty of people use it in lieu of an ATM.

For customers, it's convenient and cheaper. For stores, it draws customers into the store and also offloads their risky cash into less-risky debit card electronic transactions.
^

no one needs to explain to cashier and act like they're asking them a favor for taking CB using a DC. as long as you're using a legit DC, it's none of their business if you want to get the maximum CB.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by greggarious
Quote:

Is there a minimum purchase? Theoretically one could buy a single sample of candy for like 25¢ and then do cash back.
Not that I'm aware of. Computers don't discriminate. If you really wanna be a dick, you could always buy something, take the large cashback, them return it. They will offer a return via cash when paid with debit.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 am

Apologies if previously covered, but:

If I use a ST DL debit card to buy a $1 item and get $100 cash back, will I get 101 miles?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Apologies if previously covered, but:

If I use a ST DL debit card to buy a $1 item and get $100 cash back, will I get 101 miles?

NOPE. If you get ANY cash back using ST, it negates the purchase points, too.

i.e. if you buy $300 of legitimate whatever, and take $20 CB.. you get 0 points.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI
NOPE. If you get ANY cash back using ST, it negates the purchase points, too.

i.e. if you buy $300 of legitimate whatever, and take $20 CB.. you get 0 points.
Calling BS on this unless you can prove , how does suntrust know its CB and not actual purchase ?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:03 pm

Look at your statement. Same reason you can't get cb on a vgc. They are coded differently and get approval for both before approving the transaction
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: Southwest Rewards
Confirming $300 at Safeway in the SF Bay Area using self-checkout. I tried $600 first, was over the limit. So it's somewhere between $300 and $600. Haven't tried repeated purchases in the same day.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:47 pm
XP1

I used to be able to get cash using credit card and get 1% rewards.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by haloseven
Look at your statement. Same reason you can't get cb on a vgc. They are coded differently and get approval for both before approving the transaction
That is consistent with my experience. Prepaid visa card (Buxx, etc) will work however.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:22 am

did my first $300 CB at self checkout... good way to liquidate debit card funds (that wud have shut me down using MO at WM)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.