FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Walmart refused to take credit card for WalMart Gift Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1439598-walmart-refused-take-credit-card-walmart-gift-card.html)

danisa21 Feb 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Walmart refused to take credit card for WalMart Gift Card

I have been buying WalMart gift card using my credit card for years. I use those at Sam's club, as Sam's club does not take my Fidelity Amex.
Today, the walmart in Secaucus NJ refused to give me a walmart gift card on a chase ink card. They said 'cash or debit only'.

I hope this is a one off, but just wanted to share.

AA_EXP09 Feb 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by danisa21 (Post 20266640)
I have been buying WalMart gift card using my credit card for years. I use those at Sam's club, as Sam's club does not take my Fidelity Amex.
Today, the walmart in Secaucus NJ refused to give me a walmart gift card on a chase ink card. They said 'cash or debit only'.

Just buy the GC at another store/online.
Or, try and add other items to your purchase.

danisa21 Feb 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 20266666)
Or, try and add other items to your purchase.

Thanks, probably that's the reason. I tried to buy just the gift card this time. Usually I combine it with other purchases. I wasn't aware of this. Thanks!!

distantarray Feb 17, 2013 7:05 pm

I"m confused.... Chase Ink is a world mastercard, Sams Club takes Mastercard and Discover? why would you buy a walmart/sams gift card?

danisa21 Feb 18, 2013 9:42 am

Originally Posted by distantarray (Post 20267100)
I"m confused.... Chase Ink is a world mastercard, Sams Club takes Mastercard and Discover? why would you buy a walmart/sams gift card?

:) I needed to meet the minimum spend quickly for an upcoming travel.

AnitaBryant63 Feb 18, 2013 9:51 am

I had that happen to me once. I just bought them online.

spgbus Feb 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Buy Walmart GC at cardpool.comm for 3% off with whatever CC you like

http://www.cardpool.com/buy/walmart-gift-cards

Ritz Feb 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by distantarray (Post 20267100)

You do realize you're posting/reading the "Manufactured Spending" subforum, right?

tsmith12 Feb 18, 2013 11:31 pm

Fwiw, I just bought WMT GCs today with a CC. Last week, one CSR refused to take my CC when I wanted to buy a GC and I kindly asked her to check with her manager....no problems after that.

distantarray Feb 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz (Post 20273316)
You do realize you're posting/reading the "Manufactured Spending" subforum, right?

yes, and you realize what the OP is doing is floating and not "Manufacturing Spend" right? now if she sold the card to cardpool or plastic jungle maybe.

steventravel Feb 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by distantarray (Post 20274124)
yes, and you realize what the OP is doing is floating and not "Manufacturing Spend" right? now if she sold the card to cardpool or plastic jungle maybe.

Uh Oh, I can see it now a new Sub Forum, "Floating Spend" ..... Life and times of a floater.

danisa21 Feb 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12 (Post 20274112)
Fwiw, I just bought WMT GCs today with a CC. Last week, one CSR refused to take my CC when I wanted to buy a GC and I kindly asked her to check with her manager....no problems after that.

Did you buy with some other items, as suggested by AA_EXP09 in the thread above? Or did you buy just the GC in that transaction? I was refused first time, but this was the only time when I tried to buy only GC. I followed the advice from this thread, and just bought it online. I did not even have to spend in round number, which I was trying at walmart. I bought it from walmart.com for exact amount to meet my 1k spend.

tbonekel Feb 23, 2013 12:36 pm

This thread is as close as I can find for the question that I have. Speaking of Sam's and Walmart GC's, I just signed up for Sam's credit. I usually have to use a debit card because I don't have a mastercard with rewards at this time. Anyway, I want to take advantage of some of the cash back rewards of the Sam's credit membership. I'm wondering if it is possible to pay the credit bill when it comes with a Walmart GC? If that is the case, then that would be great! Any help or tips are welcome. Thanks!:)

AnitaBryant63 Feb 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Anyone know of a direct or indirect way to buy Sam's Club or Walmart GCs via an Office Supply Store. I checked out the rack at Staples, couldn't think of a way to make it happen.

poser Feb 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12 (Post 20274112)

As a former retail employee I would suggest doing the above. The cashier is either lazy, trying to protect themselves or misinformed.