Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Manufactured Spending

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, UA
Canadian Manufactured Spending

I have read this Manufactured Spending forum almost every single day since it was introduced. It's fascinating stuff! It also doesn't make any sense, since I'm a Canadian living in Canada. Almost none of these methods will work for me.

I would love to see what other Canadians are doing to meet their minimum Credit Card spends and pad their FF/points accounts. Please put them in this thread. Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:16 am

How do Visa gift cards work up there? No Vanilla Reloads?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
How do Visa gift cards work up there? No Vanilla Reloads?
I didn't think they were available in Canada. However, your post prompted me to look again. We do have it. I guess I need to learn how to churn this.

https://www.vanillamastercard.com/le...39YBzX2EOceAMF
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadianpilgrim
I didn't think they were available in Canada. However, your post prompted me to look again. We do have it. I guess I need to learn how to churn this.

https://www.vanillamastercard.com/le...39YBzX2EOceAMF
So I honestly don't know the method or any necessary tricks associated with Vanilla reloads, but from the Canadian FAQs for Vanilla MC giftcards;

"Can I reload my prepaid card?
The Card is not reloadable or returnable."
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Here's a reloadable card; the Petro Canada PIVOT Prepaid Visa Card

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/creditcards/4661.aspx

Here's the basic method for churning

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-churning.html

The problem in Canada of course, is finding credit card spending multiples higher than 1x. Aerogold gives 1.5X on groceries and gas, so this PIVOT card gives you a chance at 1.5X. A long way from 5X, but it's something.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:53 pm

How far from the US border are you?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:04 pm

Would anyone know if purchases made with a Chase Ink Bold/Plus at an OD in Canada would be coded in such as way as to earn 5x URs?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
How far from the US border are you?
Depending on traffic and border crossing times, I'm about 3 hours away.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:56 pm

I have looked at diferent drug stores and office stores, none sell visa gift cards at a reasonable price. I'd love to hear about some other ideas.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:04 pm

There are possible reloadable card options but it's no comparison to OD VR and Bluebird. Fees and no bill pay/checking account just makes it unfeasable.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: AC*E, CX Silver, TK Elite, IHG Gold, HH Gold, SPG
A website I've been using to purchase gift cards and prepaid credit cards is giftcarder.ca They have a large selection of gift cards for different stores at a discount. They also sell prepaid credit cards without an activation fee. Currently they are offering a $1 discount by using promo code "SORRY". Pretty good way to meet minimum spends.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by highfly3r
promo code "SORRY".

If you've ever heard Canadians talk, you know why this is funny. Next months code: ROBERTSON SCREWDRIVER, followed by CANADIAN TIRE BUCKS.

Also, i used to work at a supermarket near the canadian border in upstate NY. It now dawns on my why people would come down on Holiday weekends and buy literally hundreds of packages of butter. They'd put them in a cooler, and drive them back across the border. I thought they just liked american butter, or it was more expensive in Canada. I bet they were getting tons of points on a supermarket category, or some other scam.

No offense intended to any Canadians. I love our neighbors to the north.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by bandana1948
Would anyone know if purchases made with a Chase Ink Bold/Plus at an OD in Canada would be coded in such as way as to earn 5x URs?
I used my Ink Bold to fill gas oversea and it was coded correctly. So I think it should be ok for OD in Canada too.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by highfly3r
A website I've been using to purchase gift cards and prepaid credit cards is giftcarder.ca They have a large selection of gift cards for different stores at a discount. They also sell prepaid credit cards without an activation fee. Currently they are offering a $1 discount by using promo code "SORRY". Pretty good way to meet minimum spends.
I'm curious about that site but wondering if it's legit. Have you used it many times, for a long time? I did a quick search on Google but didn't see much about that site.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canadianpilgrim
Here's a reloadable card; the Petro Canada PIVOT Prepaid Visa Card

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/creditcards/4661.aspx

Here's the basic method for churning

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-churning.html

The problem in Canada of course, is finding credit card spending multiples higher than 1x. Aerogold gives 1.5X on groceries and gas, so this PIVOT card gives you a chance at 1.5X. A long way from 5X, but it's something.
A better option would be using a Scotia 4% cash back AMEX.
I buy GCs to the paces I like and I also buy $250 GCs for a $7.49 fee, in which my net result is 1.1% cash back + 2 CX miles/$.
(Though if there's a promo I buy more of the cards to get better value)
My opinion of a good card is the AMEX + Infinite Avion.
The latter I can convert into AA/BA miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.