Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:22 am

> what's the possible impact of having a SAR filed on you?

Your life is scrutinized. Example #1: Eliot Spitzer
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Last week when I paid a bill at Walmart for $5000, they logged my name in a book. Curiously, however, three weeks earlier, at the same Walmart, they did not log me when I tried to pay $9000.

It may have had to do with my being more insistent this time. The prior time, they had said the bill couldn't be paid. This time, I had pursued quite a few sources at WM, and ultimately got a call from someone in Bentonville (WM world HQ) telling me how to do it. When the clerk at the Money Center again said she couldn't, I escallated it to a manager who was eventually able to pay it using the technique given to me by WM HQ.

Of the many things I worry about in life, the IRS, FBI, or Secret Service leading me away in handcuffs is way way down the list.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:37 am

I've never had a SAR filled out on me, but I keep my transactions under 3k
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by killercut
I noticed that over the years, one particular bank I go to never fills out any reports or anything no matter how big my cash or check deposits are. I've done $50k, $30k, $20k, $10k cash deposits a couple times and also checks ranging in the same sizes. Are some banks excluded? This is a FCU. Also this bank allows you to have an account without a SS# and only a foreign passport, but my account has all my info...
From what I have read most banks are set up to make CTRs electronically with no input at all from the cashier. All the cashier does is indicate the form of payment and the report goes electronically to the IRS.

Last edited by lkar; Feb 22, 2013 at 1:33 pm
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I've never had a SAR filled out on me, but I keep my transactions under 3k
I really don't see how you can know this.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:01 am
Suspended

I noticed that over the years, one particular bank I go to never fills out any reports or anything no matter how big my cash or check deposits are. I've done $50k, $30k, $20k, $10k cash deposits a couple times and also checks ranging in the same sizes. Are some banks excluded? This is a FCU. Also this bank allows you to have an account without a SS# and only a foreign passport, but my account has all my info...
Checks are not cash and CTR's don't require paperwork.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:41 pm

I noticed that over the years, one particular bank I go to never fills out any reports or anything no matter how big my cash or check deposits are. I've done $50k, $30k, $20k, $10k cash deposits a couple times and also checks ranging in the same sizes. Are some banks excluded? This is a FCU.
They don't do anything *that you see*. CTR's and SAR's are generally a combination of electronic info and back office staff discussing with front line staff. If the tellers are doing things correctly, you'll never know about a report like that. CTR's generally include info that your bank/credit union already have on you and you SAR's are never to be shared. If someone files a SAR on you, you're not allowed to be told.

A CTR is no big deal, that just means that you had over $X currency or monetary instruments (money orders). A SAR is no big deal *if* you're not doing anything illegal, which includes structuring. If you're specifically structuring your transactions to avoid a CTR, that is structuring. Don't do that. If you consistently do transactions right under the reporting threshhold then it's going to raise a red flag. If someone were to call you and ask you to explain the timing of your transactions and you have a legitimate answer other than "I didn't want a report filed" then you're probably fine. Don't do illegal things (intentionally avoiding reporting triggers is illegal) and you have no reason to worry.

The Walmart clerk in the OP pretty well screwed up every which way to Sunday. If they really are keeping all of that info in a binder at the desk then you should have a discussion with the manager about moving that info into a location that is properly secure so that the info will remain confidential. Not wanting your ID, address, DOB, SSN, and financial info stored in an open binder behind the Walmart service desk is a reasonable privacy concern.

For all of those saying that the reports go to the IRS, no they don't. They go to FinCEN which (like the IRS) is a part of the Department of the Treasury. They're part of the same department but are very different. The legal code is the Bank Secrecy Act.
http://www.fincen.gov/
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
In some jurisdictions it's illegal to tell the subject of an SAR that they are the subject of an SAR.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Can a foreign tourist buy a money order using their passport as ID? Just wondering if it's worthwhile to have my Aussie husband buy the money orders, make them out to me and I can deposit them in my account.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by stifle
In some jurisdictions it's illegal to tell the subject of an SAR that they are the subject of an SAR.
So there are jurisdictions where it is permissible? The answer is "NO" since there's only one jurisdiction that is of relevance.

I can see that there's a lot of misinformation being thrown around in this thread. A lot of Fters think they're experts. Quite amusing.

Sorry for trolling.

Last edited by Ducati; Feb 23, 2013 at 11:51 am Reason: grammar
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
In college I worked at a drug store that sold money order/grams and we never tracked anything. I used my 5% cash back credit card to pay rent every month and it was pretty awesome. This was a regional drug store and things changed after we were bought out by CVS and some bookkeeper embezzled about $200k from the company..
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Ducati
So there are jurisdictions where it is permissible? The answer is "NO" since there's only one jurisdiction that is of relevance.
This is a global forum, so that is a very short-sighted statement.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiki
Can a foreign tourist buy a money order using their passport as ID? Just wondering if it's worthwhile to have my Aussie husband buy the money orders, make them out to me and I can deposit them in my account.
I guess nobody here ever tries. You may be the first one to let us know the outcome.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by Happy
I guess nobody here ever tries. You may be the first one to let us know the outcome.
I have never been asked for an id when buying money orders, and in fact when I have had reports filed for me (at least the ones I knew about), they took all of the info from me verbally, and never asked to see id to confirm whether I was telling the truth
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Redhead
For all of those saying that the reports go to the IRS, no they don't. They go to FinCEN which (like the IRS) is a part of the Department of the Treasury. They're part of the same department but are very different. The legal code is the Bank Secrecy Act.
http://www.fincen.gov/
Correct. SARs go to FinCEN, not to the IRS.

I find it amusing when people speak as if they are experts for how these work yet don't even know who the reporting is going to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.