Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vanilla reload broken PIN scam reports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Smile 7 days to correct.

A week ago I bought an old style Vanilla reload card. One with the Green and Silver bar. "Already Redeemed". This was my first Scamed card , after hitting it heavy since the early Home Depot days. I called , filled out a report, and phoned every few days to check. I was starting to worry.
7 days after making my initial report InComm phoned me and gave me a replacement pin number. Happy ending. They were very nice, sounded like they have been hit hard by this , and the old cards were still coming in. I wish them the best of luck , and hope they can continue to supply us with this important product.

Of my 6 favorite Rx stores, 2 have empty racks , 3 have the old Green bar with Silver strip, and only one has the new style. I'm feeling a little shy about the old style cards.

Last edited by beachmiles; Oct 8, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: SPG Gold
bought a few new cards in the last few weeks... so far, so good
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:21 am

Scammers are back

Warning for the Atlanta folks. The CVS on Roswell Rd, in Sandy Springs, had numbers scratched out cards yesterday. Do not buy any VR cards that have the old style "Scratch Here" label on them. Only buy the updated no text on the scratch off area.

The scammers are getting the numbers and covering them up with old scratch off labels.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM
Any other reports of problems with the new style cards (with rePower on the front)? I just had one fail with "already redeemed"...

Edit: and yes, I already called and filed a dispute; it wasn't just a website bug.

Last edited by dyst0pia; Dec 1, 2013 at 11:10 am Reason: More information
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:42 pm

were the numbers missing?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by alik99
were the numbers missing?
No missing numbers
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dyst0pia
Any other reports of problems with the new style cards (with rePower on the front)? I just had one fail with "already redeemed"...

Edit: and yes, I already called and filed a dispute; it wasn't just a website bug.
New style card, bought yesterday.

I got one PIN already redeemed Error 90 on a load to BB a couple hours ago on the confirmation screen.

After verifying no input error on PIN from looking at my screen shot, I tried again from the first step. This time it went thru - so it was communication error between InComm and BB.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:00 pm

hmm... I dont understand how the scam happens now then... Before, it was fairly clear... but with new cards and with all numbers present...
Has to be a glitch in the system somewhere... card not activated, or smth like that...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:27 pm

Not a scam report here, but I think I may have foiled one. Walked into my local CVS, had plenty in stock, but none were of the new variety with the rePower and Money Network logos on front that I had seen at this same CVS in prior weeks. I was a little suspicious, so I carefully inspected the back. It was basically some hybrid of the older ones (green background, silver scratch-off) and the newer ones (silver scratch-off with the overlapping circles and "scratch gently" overlay).

I had never seen these before, so I pulled the entire stack off and closely inspected the back. Found 4 in the back of the stack that looked like they had been tampered with. Looked as though the "scratch gently" was already scratched off and a new silver scratch-off panel was laid over it. The text on the silver was even inconsistent. One of them said something like "Expose ID..." Suspicious as hell (to me anyway).

I brought them to one of the managers and showed him how these 4 were not like the rest of the pile. He wasn't as appreciative as I thought he'd be. He said he would put them aside and gave me a not very genuine thanks. He seemed more interested in complaining to me that everyone just comes in and buys them for the miles and that they should end the program. I don't see what the big deal is to him, but whatever.

Anyway, the two I purchased turned out okay, thankfully. I guess although they were unfamiliar, they were legit. I didn't want have to file what would be my third and fourth reports with Incomm. Atlanta, just give your cards a close look before you purchase!

P.S. The cards I got (pictured above) started with a 6, whereas the ones I had been buying for a month or two now started with 7.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have not foiled anything.

They are the real thing. I have had over $8K bought are in this type. They loaded perfectly. The first 3 digits are 600 series instead of 700.

Me think InComm has done a recall and overlay the PIN area to prevent tempering.

The background after scratching is green instead of white. Also the number stays on even scratch hard. The other new type you refer to, has white background and the numbers could be scratched off if you scratch too hard. There are posts about numbers being scratched off when scratching too hard. I myself Almost scratched one digit on an occasion.

This type you posted, does not have the danger for the number being scratched off.

Originally Posted by KCKC
Not a scam report here, but I think I may have foiled one. Walked into my local CVS, had plenty in stock, but none were of the new variety with the rePower and Money Network logos on front that I had seen at this same CVS in prior weeks. I was a little suspicious, so I carefully inspected the back. It was basically some hybrid of the older ones (green background, silver scratch-off) and the newer ones (silver scratch-off with the overlapping circles and "scratch gently" overlay).

I had never seen these before, so I pulled the entire stack off and closely inspected the back. Found 4 in the back of the stack that looked like they had been tampered with. Looked as though the "scratch gently" was already scratched off and a new silver scratch-off panel was laid over it. The text on the silver was even inconsistent. One of them said something like "Expose ID..." Suspicious as hell (to me anyway).

I brought them to one of the managers and showed him how these 4 were not like the rest of the pile. He wasn't as appreciative as I thought he'd be. He said he would put them aside and gave me a not very genuine thanks. He seemed more interested in complaining to me that everyone just comes in and buys them for the miles and that they should end the program. I don't see what the big deal is to him, but whatever.

Anyway, the two I purchased turned out okay, thankfully. I guess although they were unfamiliar, they were legit. I didn't want have to file what would be my third and fourth reports with Incomm. Atlanta, just give your cards a close look before you purchase!

P.S. The cards I got (pictured above) started with a 6, whereas the ones I had been buying for a month or two now started with 7.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 am

I think the new ones dont have the words "scratch off for PIN" on the back of the card.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You have not foiled anything.

They are the real thing. I have had over $8K bought are in this type. They loaded perfectly. The first 3 digits are 600 series instead of 700.

Me think InComm has done a recall and overlay the PIN area to prevent tempering.

The background after scratching is green instead of white. Also the number stays on even scratch hard. The other new type you refer to, has white background and the numbers could be scratched off if you scratch too hard. There are posts about numbers being scratched off when scratching too hard. I myself Almost scratched one digit on an occasion.

This type you posted, does not have the danger for the number being scratched off.
Thanks for the note. I didn't think to assume that the ones I posted pictures of were the latest version. The ones with the red logos just have this newer look to them, if that makes any sense. So I guess this hybrid with the green outline and SCRATCH GENTLY is the new thing. The ones I thought I may have foiled didn't have the SCRATCH GENTLY on top, but there was some evidence of it surrounding the "new" (looking) silver scratch-off, but it SCRATCH GENTLY definitely was not overlaid in a diagonal pattern across the silver. It's tough to explain. I'll see if I can get a pic of the suspicious ones if the crooks try to throw more into the mix.

In short, any of us reading this thread should know by now, generally (with recent cards), SCRATCH GENTLY should be running in a diagonal pattern across the silver.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL GM, AmEx Plat, DL AmEx Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Has anyone experienced this occurring outside general GA area?

I haven't bought many VRs but am planning to start purchasing more. I am in SoCal (LAX/ONT area) and haven't had an issue so far, but I'm glad I read this thread to help keep me on my toes.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Exclamation

I purchased 4 cards on January 1st while visiting family in GA and all 4 had missing PINs. I wasn't aware of the scam going on in the area or I would have been more vigilant. The cards were on a higher rack than I'm used to seeing them but I thought maybe it was just a lazy stocking job. All have the silver & green style strip. Very frustrating, but I'm hopeful that InComm will come through with a resolution -- the CSR I spoke to was very helpful and seemed genuinely concerned. This was the CVS in at the corner of Johnson Ferry & Roswell Rd in East Cobb.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by nkedge
I purchased 4 cards on January 1st while visiting family in GA and all 4 had missing PINs. I wasn't aware of the scam going on in the area or I would have been more vigilant. The cards were on a higher rack than I'm used to seeing them but I thought maybe it was just a lazy stocking job. All have the silver & green style strip. Very frustrating, but I'm hopeful that InComm will come through with a resolution -- the CSR I spoke to was very helpful and seemed genuinely concerned. This was the CVS in at the corner of Johnson Ferry & Roswell Rd in East Cobb.
sorry and good luck with dispute.
I wish CV$ would take down all the old style vanillas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.