Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

How to avoid BlueBird shut downs. Share your thoughts here.

How to avoid BlueBird shut downs. Share your thoughts here.

Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
^^
In my Opinion, Bluebird loses nothing if somebody uses VR bought on credit cards and funds Bluebird account.

It is the credit card companies which pay cash back or points or miles to customers are the affected parties.

Like Chase Ink together with Office Depot made sure that Vanilla Reloads which were offered 5X earlier are not made available anymore at that location.

Most 5% cashback come with a cap- typically $1500. Card companies can sustain 2% cashback or miles for a longer period compared to Chase Ink / Office depot where points and limits were both higher thus unsustainable.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Whoops! BB Account Under Review

We'll see how this plays out.

Last edited by ctbarron; May 17, 2013 at 7:50 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 17, 2013, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Despite this and another similar thread, it's interesting to note that there is not a single report of a closed Bluebird account.
Yes, the Blue Bird Cardinals are benevolent.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
Yes, the Blue Bird Cardinals are benevolent.
I hope so for ctbarron's sake...
Old May 18, 2013, 7:59 pm

Account now unlocked

The short version: AMEX unlocked my BB account and things appear back to normal. The issue seemed to be (not 100% sure) me moving money from my bank to BB. The transaction failed for some reason, and this triggered the problem. It took a rather long and detailed set of processes with AMEX to get the account unlocked. The details are below for those interested in data points.

The long version: first, some background. I load BB with the full $5k each month via VRs and GCs. I disburse it through bill pay, some bill pay/CC cycling, and swipes. When I first opened the account last fall I did the bank link verification whereby BB sends over a couple of tiny deposits and you verify them. Worked fine. I also did my own test where I sent $50 from my bank to BB, let it settle, waited and week, and then sent it back to my bank. No problems. The only other time Ive moved money was in late April. I had a bit of an imbalance between my bank and BB, so I sent $1k to my bank. I expected issues but there were none it settled with no alerts, warnings, or problems.

Fast forward to early this week. I tried to move $600 from my linked bank account to BB. I initiated the transaction with BB on Tuesday. I got a pending notice and it said the transaction would settle in up to 5 business days. On Friday afternoon I got an e-mail from BB saying the transaction had failed, call CS. I did and they were of no help. They had no idea why the transaction failed, no notes on the account, etc. I guessed some technical problem and figured Id try the transaction again another day.

Later on Friday I noticed I had missed a voicemail from AMEX. It was actually a fraud alert call for BB (sounded like a regular fraud call from AMEX) from earlier in the day about the same time as the above noted e-mail. It provided a reference number. So I called the fraud number (800-660-2454). The AMEX/BB fraud agent couldnt find anything, saw nothing on the failed transfer, and said the account was not locked.

After this I figured Id look online to see if I could find any issues but found I couldnt log into my account. I tried the iPhone app, could login but as soon as I did something a message popped up stating that my account was locked and under review, and to call the fraud line. Then an image of Cardinal Ximenez appeared and my phone went dark (just kidding on this one).

So I called the fraud line again and got the exact same agent as earlier. NOW she told me my account was under review. AMEX wanted to verify a bunch of stuff. First, she needed to verify my identity by calling the phone number listed in my account. She did (it was the same phone number as I was calling her from!), I clicked over and answered, identified myself, read my BB card number, she was satisfied, so I switched back over to the other line and we resumed the regular conversation. The agent then wanted to verify my bank account, so she set up a three way conference call with a rep from my bank. The bank rep came on, then the bank rep and I verified a bunch of info name on account, address on account, account #, etc. The only other question the BB rep asked was if the bank account had been open more than 90 days it had (like 10 years).

This was the end of the process. The AMEX fraud rep said she had to document some things in my file (my permanent record???) and then my account would be activated in under an hour. I asked the AMEX rep point blank what the problem was. I got the standard AMEX speech we constantly monitor fraud through hideously complex means that I could not possibly understand, but that everything was fine now. I asked if the failed bank transaction was the problem and got a non-answer. I hung up, waited a bit, and then logged successfully into my account.

Everything appears normal - I guess time will tell. This does reinforce my belief that the sensitive point with BB is bank links/tranfers.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Everything appears normal - I guess time will tell. This does reinforce my belief that the sensitive point with BB is bank links/tranfers.
Agree. From the very beginning, some of us who have JT bank accounts found out that the accounts were locked when the same JT bank account is linked to both BBs.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Agree. From the very beginning, some of us who have JT bank accounts found out that the accounts were locked when the same JT bank account is linked to both BBs.
But it appears to be fairly random. I have transferred money back and forth to my bank account without issue - and I know others have posted the same - but occasionally someone has an issue. In every case, however, it is always just a fraud issue, no closure or reprimand for "abuse" or anything like that.
Old May 19, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
No bank accounts for me. I'll stick to bean and GC loading and mix in some swipes.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:01 am

Some good thoughts on bank accounts. The bank account that triggered the problem on my BB was not a joint account. The issues do seem to be random. Personally I will limit or eliminate my use of bank transfers - it was not worth the headache and time to resolve.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CFFrost
But it appears to be fairly random. I have transferred money back and forth to my bank account without issue - and I know others have posted the same - but occasionally someone has an issue. In every case, however, it is always just a fraud issue, no closure or reprimand for "abuse" or anything like that.
No, I dont mean it would lead to account closure. Even to clear Fraud Alert involves time and energy. Why even bother to give an opportunity for such occurence even it is random?

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Some good thoughts on bank accounts. The bank account that triggered the problem on my BB was not a joint account. The issues do seem to be random. Personally I will limit or eliminate my use of bank transfers - it was not worth the headache and time to resolve.
Exactly my thought. I delinked the same JT from one BB and linked it with a different account. Only did very occasional withdrawals to drain the balances if they were not used up by month end - a rare occurrence anyway.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Can I pay a Chase CC that I used to buy GCs to load BB? I am sure people are going to bi**h me for asking/doing this.. But I do not have more than $3k of bills per month.. So, the balance $2k has to go back as a CC payment..

Or give a BB check to GF and transfer from her bank acct to mine?
Old May 21, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
Can I pay a Chase CC that I used to buy GCs to load BB? I am sure people are going to bi**h me for asking/doing this.. But I do not have more than $3k of bills per month.. So, the balance $2k has to go back as a CC payment..

Or give a BB check to GF and transfer from her bank acct to mine?
Yes & yes, either way is fine. The check to bank route just takes a bit longer.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:16 pm

Amex Bluebird did shut down today

Accounts got shut down today without notice. After going to 3 different ATMs and all saying invalid transaction, we called customer service. She said their systems were down for 2hrs and we could not use the card for withdrawls or purchases. We are so upset, this is our money and we could not access it. The guy said it's happened to many people not just me. We tried to escalated it but they said there is nothing they can do. 6hrs later their phones will not accept calls, "due to high call volume". I hope Amex Bluebird is going to make this big inconvenience right. This is unacceptable from a financial institution.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by FloridaConsumer
Accounts got shut down today without notice. After going to 3 different ATMs and all saying invalid transaction, we called customer service. She said their systems were down for 2hrs and we could not use the card for withdrawls or purchases. We are so upset, this is our money and we could not access it. The guy said it's happened to many people not just me. We tried to escalated it but they said there is nothing they can do. 6hrs later their phones will not accept calls, "due to high call volume". I hope Amex Bluebird is going to make this big inconvenience right. This is unacceptable from a financial institution.
Sorry to hear. Care to share your BB pattern?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by FloridaConsumer
Accounts got shut down today without notice. After going to 3 different ATMs and all saying invalid transaction, we called customer service. She said their systems were down for 2hrs and we could not use the card for withdrawlssince or purchases. We are so upset, this is our money and we could not access it. The guy said it's happened to many people not just me. We tried to escalated it but they said there is nothing they can do. 6hrs later their phones will not accept calls, "due to high call volume". I hope Amex Bluebird is going to make this big inconvenience right. This is unacceptable from a financial institution.
This happened to me as well a few months ago. Not only did it not give me the money but Bluebird was debited the amount I entered at the atm plus fees and I never got the money. Bluebird reversed the charges and gave me my money back I haven't used the atm since.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.