Wiki Posts
Search

What a bad year begining...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: Several dozen
3x12 > 4x1

Originally Posted by sam_goh
...Hi ADK, any thoughts on what larger transaction volumes are?...
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
3x12 > 4x1
Lol.... guess I'll let the cardinals chase after the big fat whales and leave us minnows alone Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
3x12 > 4x1
3x12 meaning the number of people x number of accounts?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Something new will eventually come along, it always does. Some of us have suffered through the Mint coins, Traveller's checks, savings bonds, bank accounts, CD's, and Home Depot Paper Gift certificates used in the garden center to buy light bulbs and get change back in real money! The next big thing is out there........ We just have to find it!
JudyJFLA
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:37 pm

My back is still suffering from those coins. We all put our backs into recapitalizing the banking system, but did we get our Nobel? Nooo!

At least one of the dead programs below lives on as a zombie. Thank Marie Laveau.

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Something new will eventually come along, it always does. Some of us have suffered through the Mint coins, Traveller's checks, savings bonds, bank accounts, CD's, and Home Depot Paper Gift certificates used in the garden center to buy light bulbs and get change back in real money! The next big thing is out there........ We just have to find it!
JudyJFLA
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Home Depot Paper Gift certificates used in the garden center
JudyJFLA
After this last year's Zombie Mulch promo-iasco, I'm not sure I'm allowed back in a few of the HD's garden centers
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:26 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by redbirdsj
I quit doing the OD/CVS thing a while back because the fees bring the cost of this method of purchasing URs to about .35c each. Maybe I'm just lucky but there is a simpler, much easier way in my neck of the woods to purchase VRs directly and get the UR points (and other points) for .39c. I won't post it here so don't ask, but will say that it is spelled out clearly in the T&Cs of the card and does not take long to figure out.

The added convenience is worth the extra .04c to me so I stopped going the OD route a long time ago. If doing runs of $2k per run, you're saving $4 per 10k points. Unless a liquidation center is literally right next door, is it really worth the extra gas and time?
I have to say I read this wrong at first and actually read the terms and conditions on the cc. No luck so I looked up VR since I don't have one laying around. The best I can come up with is you have a great local store that accepts your cc.

Oh, and I read all of your posts hoping to find a hint. ... that I did not. Sorry for being a cyber stalker. lol

Last edited by philemer; Feb 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by KM123
I have to say I read this wrong at first and actually read the terms and conditions on the cc. No luck so I looked up VR since I don't have one laying around. The best I can come up with is you have a great local store that accepts your cc.
1 VR @ $3.95 per 1000 points = 0.395 cents per point. So, either OP is buying $200 VRs at a 5X store or $500 VRs at a 2X store. Hint, it's not the 5X store.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:03 pm

in my limitied experience gas stations will not sell me VRs
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
JudyJFLA
And when you find it, it can disappear in a flash and/or have laws preventing you from taking advantage of it.
(I'm more upset about not being able to use HK as a transit point for my powdered milk; I rarely bought there as it was more expensive than in Canada/US.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450
in my limitied experience gas stations will not sell me VRs
I haven't had luck at Hucks but have heard of luck at some in the land of 10000 lakes if you search the bluebird thread.

To which I'll add the rhetorical question, from a eye test, what looks worst:
$500 at office supply store
$500 at target
$500 at drug store
$500 at grocery store
$500 at gas station
$500 at $ store

I think the gas station, followed by $ store multiple times.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zozeppelin
I haven't had luck at Hucks but have heard of luck at some in the land of 10000 lakes if you search the bluebird thread.

To which I'll add the rhetorical question, from a eye test, what looks worst:
$500 at office supply store
$500 at target
$500 at drug store
$500 at grocery store
$500 at gas station
$500 at $ store

I think the gas station, followed by $ store multiple times.
No, I've had success at gas stations many times buying GCs in excess of $2000 with no action against my card.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Devaluations are a normal part of loyalty programs. I don't blame the SPG C+P on blogs. I blame it on the Parker hotel that misleadingly inflated its guest count to get more $$ out of SPG for points redemptions.
Really? They're suing for ~$1m in damages. That is relatively small; hardly enough to prompt revamping an award program.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LAX88
Really? They're suing for ~$1m in damages. That is relatively small; hardly enough to prompt revamping an award program.
I didn't suggest they're a major reason. I just said that it's a bigger reason than bloggers.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:37 am

Which is why the zombie deals ain't getting direct references on the boards. Seen far too many opportunities pull a Houdini. The opposition may have their Cardinal Fang, but lucky for us we have Marie Laveau.

(For those unfamiliar with Marie Laveau, The Voodoo Queen of New Orleans, you make a signed request at her tomb (typically signed with an x) and she delivers. But Marie has quite the sense of humor. After the Mint died, upon request she brought it back as a zombie in the form of Littleton Coins' dollar coin offer. And she brought Citi bank bank deposit financing back in the form of The Bank of the Biker (where you can make small bank deposits by credit card if you ride a Harley). Beware asking Marie for a return of the pudding cups deal, the Thai rice farmer mileage runs, or Office Depot Vanilla Beans.)

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
And when you find it, it can disappear in a flash and/or have laws preventing you from taking advantage of it.
(I'm more upset about not being able to use HK as a transit point for my powdered milk; I rarely bought there as it was more expensive than in Canada/US.

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Feb 6, 2013 at 6:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.