Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Variable load gift cards to be pulled by Office Depot 2.4.2013

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Datapoint: buying WN gift cards at Staples, cashier called the manager for buying 'lots' of cards. He made a phone call, mumbled something about restrictions, and then proceeded to process the purchase (6 cards). I think they were watching out for Visa card purchases, not so much the others and in the end there was no issue at all.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:19 pm

Same thing happened to me yesterday, Staples manager's approval was required for buying $1k Visa GCs, I was told this was because of "high dollor amount" involved.

Originally Posted by robbert
Datapoint: buying WN gift cards at Staples, cashier called the manager for buying 'lots' of cards. He made a phone call, mumbled something about restrictions, and then proceeded to process the purchase (6 cards). I think they were watching out for Visa card purchases, not so much the others and in the end there was no issue at all.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I am going to spend a certain amount every month anyhow, so why not get 5X,

Now yes I see player on here not wanting to spend $69.00 for a card that will give them 50,000 miles. and when they get it they want to cancel it as soon as they have their spend limit...and then wonder why they get the boot.

I hear the term kettles, cherry pickers, and of course some are just talkers.

Give the banks a break, they also watch the numbers.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:07 pm

My comment referred to the fact that it seems like CVS has gotten a bit tighter about the cards. still dont know about the thing on the screen that said "alternative payment required" but both times it went away the second swipe attempt.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
Interesting Development at OD today 04.24.2013

Stopped at OD today to pick up something unrelated to GC's but checked rack out of habit. Found 50 of the 20-500 variable cards so I picked 4 to the counter. Of course the purchase failed but this is the same store I cleaned out the weekend the sales ended. Manager was surprised and said they just received them yesterday. She apologized that the purchase could not be completed then had her staff pull them from the rack.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by WOXOF
Stopped at OD today to pick up something unrelated to GC's but checked rack out of habit. Found 50 of the 20-500 variable cards so I picked 4 to the counter. Of course the purchase failed but this is the same store I cleaned out the weekend the sales ended. Manager was surprised and said they just received them yesterday. She apologized that the purchase could not be completed then had her staff pull them from the rack.
Did you see the fee structure on the card? If the fee is more than before, it's possible that they haven't loaded them into the system yet.

Can't hurt to be optimistic
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Thanks for the info. Good data point.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Very interesting - did you notice the fee for these cards - was it the same as before, or a higher amount?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Post 46 mentioned something along the lines of a new variable load card may be due back in OD by May according to a OD memo:

Originally Posted by spgbus
My local manager shows me the memo... it sited reason as Financial Cost associated with this product. On the footnote it also mentioned that OD may re-brand this product back around May...
The optimistic side of me also says it is not out of the realm of possibility that a variable load card may be back at some point
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:04 am

I would pay $10 for a $500 variable card available from Staples/OD/OMax. Are you listening Metabank/US Bank/Bancorp?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by bobfather
I would pay $10 for a $500 variable card available from Staples/OD/OMax. Are you listening Metabank/US Bank/Bancorp?
Why start the bidding so high? Metabank/US Bank already have variable load $500 gift cards in grocery stores for $5.95 fees. It's OD that you need to convince
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:45 pm

Eh, I value UR points at least 2x vs TYP, so even $10 in fees for every $500 would still be a "win".

Nevermind that TYP can't be transferred to any airline partners, no matter how valuable they are anyway.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:43 pm

Oh how I wish 500GC will come back. I now got 2 INKs and all my spend is Citi TYP, USB Club Carlson, and Amex Hilton. I would be nice to get Chase in there too!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:58 pm

Checked two local ODs today, no variable load cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.