Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Simple: The next pre-paid to rival Bluebird?

Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
https://simple.com/

It’s Simple
Use the Simple card for all your purchases. See transactions appear in your account in seconds.

Pay Anyone
The fastest, most intuitive way to pay your friends and pay your bills–by check or electronic funds transfer.

Get Cash
Welcome to the largest no-fee ATM network, Allpoint®.

See limits, terms, etc.
https://simple.com/policies/bancorp-account-agreement/

...These limits are $3,000 per check ($2,000 first 30 days) with a daily maximum of $5,000 and no more than 5 per day. There can be no more than 10 checks per week with a total of $25,000, or 15 checks not to exceed $75,000. Limits may be changed based on the length of time the account is opened and account activity.
Fees (Rivals Bluebird)
https://simple.com/policies/schedule-of-fees/

Shutdowns
Yes see post 137, 287
Print Wikipost

Simple: The next pre-paid to rival Bluebird?

Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by nrdk
Don't see how this would be any different as far as a refund check is concerned, it's still a bank just the same, just no physical locations. They're still FDIC insured and all the other bells and whistles.

The issue with depositing at a 'real' bank would be that the major players are in both banking and CC, so if you burn US Bank, you can't get US Bank cards etc etc. I guess you could always go with a local CU, however I assume you'd run into the same thing as Simple.
My point is, Bluebird is also technically ran by a bank. People have reported that when their BB accounts get shut down, their funds are frozen for quite a while. Whereas when a checking account gets closed, typically a refund check is in the mail within a couple of days of account closure.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by JerMah
My point is, Bluebird is also technically ran by a bank. People have reported that when their BB accounts get shut down, their funds are frozen for quite a while. Whereas when a checking account gets closed, typically a refund check is in the mail within a couple of days of account closure.
True enough, I may decide on going with a CU instead, however the last CU I signed up for (my main bank for convenience purposes) actually ran a hard pull on me! Was frustrated and would like to avoid that in the future.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
I wonder if there's a confirmed list of banks that don't do a hard pull for opening a checking account.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:46 pm

Most CUs will hard pull. A lot of "major banks" won't or will only soft pull, from my experience. I'm sure FWF or Creditboards has a list of hardpull banks.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
People have reported that when their BB accounts get shut down, their funds are frozen for quite a while.
It's interesting that you say this because I haven't read of a SINGLE BB account closure reported on FlyerTalk period.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:44 pm

Most CUs will hard pull. A lot of "major banks" won't or will only soft pull, from my experience. I'm sure FWF or Creditboards has a list of hardpull banks.
Looked and no luck. Not a big fan of opening an account with any of the major players, only one I found that seems to be somewhat consistently reported doing only soft was Ally, which I can't say I'm a huge fan of.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
It's interesting that you say this because I haven't read of a SINGLE BB account closure reported on FlyerTalk period.
Maybe you should look harder.

ETA: When did I say that "MEMBERS OF FLYERTALK FORUMS" have reported...I didn't. I said "people have reported."
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:22 pm

Looked and no luck. Not a big fan of opening an account with any of the major players, only one I found that seems to be somewhat consistently reported doing only soft was Ally, which I can't say I'm a huge fan of.
Even more of a reason to not care about the account, no?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:42 pm

ETA: When did I say that "MEMBERS OF FLYERTALK FORUMS" have reported...I didn't. I said "people have reported."
Will you tell us or me (by PM) where you read it?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Quote:

My point is that there are A TON of Flyertalk members doing some very "shady" stuff with their BB accounts (myself included) and if not a single Flyertalk member has reported a closure, it's not something to worry about.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:27 pm

My point is that there are A TON of Flyertalk members doing some very "shady" stuff with their BB accounts (myself included) and if not a single Flyertalk member has reported a closure, it's not something to worry about.
Again, putting words in my mouth...when did I say anything was shady? You quoted that word in your reply, implying I said it....
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Again, putting words in my mouth...when did I say anything was shady? You quoted that word in your reply, implying I said it....
He was implying the activities could be considered shady, just like I would say Kim Kardashian is in "love" with Kanye. Your name was never used or attached to that particular word, he just quoted your reply to show what he was responding to.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:24 am

Since you are not saying about where you read, tried the quick google. Are you referring to like this:

http://shaunie.me/amex-bluebird-closed-my-account/

I understand why BB closed this person's account. Stop using somebody else's debit. Doesn't matter if the debit belongs to this person's mom or whatever. And, supposedly this person is aware of MS since he/she mentioned linking PrePaid/GCs on the BB. Anyway, Christ.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: All of them!
Don't see how this would be any different as far as a refund check is concerned, it's still a bank just the same, just no physical locations. They're still FDIC insured and all the other bells and whistles.

The issue with depositing at a 'real' bank would be that the major players are in both banking and CC, so if you burn US Bank, you can't get US Bank cards etc etc. I guess you could always go with a local CU, however I assume you'd run into the same thing as Simple.
I deposit very large quantities of MO at a local CU (only open to residents of my small geographic area, so don't bother asking which one) and they have no problem with it whatsoever. I honestly told them what I was up to because I don't have a CC with them so they have no reason to care. Everyone at the branch I frequent knows me by name and expects my deposits. They've never even put a hold on any of my MO deposits, they are always available immediately like cash. They did not hard pull me when I joined either, although another CU I am a member of did pull TransUnion. I would recommend just asking them if they will do a hard pull or not. Even if they do, it might be worth a hard pull to get a good place to deposit large volumes of MO. I think at a smaller operation like a CU or regional bank you are more likely to be evaluated as an individual rather than at a big bank where you are just an account in a computer system that trips their loss prevention algorithm.

The main concern banks have with MO deposits that would lead to account closure, other than "perk abuse" is that you might deposit counterfeit MO and they would end up being on the hook. Oftentimes people receive these through some kind of scam and don't realize it, and by the time the bank reverses the deposit, which can sometimes take a few weeks, they have already spent the money (often sending a portion of it back to the scammer via Western Union/MoneyGram). If they are concerned about money laundering, they will just file SARs, but I doubt my CU does that because of how open I am with them. Even if they do, no big deal, worst that could happen is an IRS audit, and even that is unlikely considering the enormous volume of SARs that get filed.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: united 1k
I was told nowaday MO deposit ,like check deposit, are cleared much quicker than before, only 1 week
Originally Posted by Lemma
I deposit very large quantities of MO at a local CU (only open to residents of my small geographic area, so don't bother asking which one) and they have no problem with it whatsoever. I honestly told them what I was up to because I don't have a CC with them so they have no reason to care. Everyone at the branch I frequent knows me by name and expects my deposits. They've never even put a hold on any of my MO deposits, they are always available immediately like cash. They did not hard pull me when I joined either, although another CU I am a member of did pull TransUnion. I would recommend just asking them if they will do a hard pull or not. Even if they do, it might be worth a hard pull to get a good place to deposit large volumes of MO. I think at a smaller operation like a CU or regional bank you are more likely to be evaluated as an individual rather than at a big bank where you are just an account in a computer system that trips their loss prevention algorithm.

The main concern banks have with MO deposits that would lead to account closure, other than "perk abuse" is that you might deposit counterfeit MO and they would end up being on the hook. Oftentimes people receive these through some kind of scam and don't realize it, and by the time the bank reverses the deposit, which can sometimes take a few weeks, they have already spent the money (often sending a portion of it back to the scammer via Western Union/MoneyGram). If they are concerned about money laundering, they will just file SARs, but I doubt my CU does that because of how open I am with them. Even if they do, no big deal, worst that could happen is an IRS audit, and even that is unlikely considering the enormous volume of SARs that get filed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.