Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Remodeling with MVD

deleted

Last edited by scoobaboy; Feb 6, 2013 at 3:34 am
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Why not give a couple of Amex GCs? Larger denoms (so administratively easier) and cash back+points?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Doesn't take AMEX. That is more and more a problem.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Ok. Then buy $500 visa GCs at OD for 5x points at least.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You better tell your contractor that each transaction using the MVD would cost $0.50 so he needs to be really careful to monitor such as well..

I am not sure this is a good idea to make things difficult for a contractor who would do your house remodeling... Do you want him to do an excellent job or not? You realize that if he is not happy, you would be in big trouble, dont you?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Combine those at target with their Amex and do several transactions after reloading?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
I did pretty much this same thing, but I used standard Visa, Amex, and Mastercard gift cards (no fees for him). Also Amazon Payments, and finally he got Square and was happy using that to take my credit card payment. My electrician really liked the gift cards - no fees. This is about $15,000.
Also had a organizer that liked the gift cards. By the way "doesn't take Amex" does not apply here. No one cares what brand it is if it spends like money.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 am

Why don't you cash those cards out yourself? Or load to BB and send him a check like a halfway classy person?

Once your contractor figures out what a PITA cashing MVDs are , he'll get even with you - and you won't find out for 5-10 years...and you'll deserve it and then some.

Last edited by farwest101; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:26 am Reason: edit VRs for MVD
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by farwest101
Why don't you cash those cards out yourself? Or load to BB and send him a check like a halfway classy person?

Once your contractor figures out what a PITA cashing VRs are , he'll get even with you - and you won't find out for 5-10 years...and you'll deserve it and then some.
Seriously.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by farwest101

Once your contractor figures out what a PITA cashing VRs are , he'll get even with you - and you won't find out for 5-10 years...and you'll deserve it and then some.
i think you misunderstood the op (or maybe i did?), the contractor takes cc's which means they're just gonna swipe each of the 35 mvd's for $500 each and be done with it. it's not like they're walking away with 35 cards that they're gonna need to figure out how to cash out.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: ALL :)
Horrible idea.

Last edited by steventravel; Feb 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metallim
i think you misunderstood the op (or maybe i did?), the contractor takes cc's which means they're just gonna swipe each of the 35 mvd's for $500 each and be done with it. it's not like they're walking away with 35 cards that they're gonna need to figure out how to cash out.
I dont know what the OP is thinking to pay the contractor 35 MVDs.

35 GCs such as Visa and AMEX are different - they are just like cash, but MVD does not work this way.

The former is downright stupid to do this to a contractor doing remodeling on your house.

The latter is just like paying him cash.

Has the OP not heard of such saying, or the "Golden Rule" which exists in virtually all ancient cultures?

Dont do unto others what you dont want others do unto you.

This is the exact case here.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
I can't imagine a contractor who would want to futz around with 35 of anything. They don't play the miles game, they want to get their work done, get paid, and not screw around.

I can relate to the OP wanting to earn miles for the project though - I'm about to start a modest home remodel job that's going to cost some real money. I asked my contractor if I could pay with a credit card, and he said "sure, as long as you're willing to pay a 3% surcharge."

Cash or check is what he wants. So me and the wife have both been funding our Bluebird accounts as much as we can. We'll pay with a couple big checks from Bluebird (well, up to about $20K - after that, I think we'll just write a regular check and hope to make up the difference in other churning). I'll be glad to unload my large BB balance that I've been building up over the past couple of months - having large $$$ in there makes me a little nervous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.