Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PetroCanada Pivot Visa - cheap/free $2K "gas" spend per month

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PetroCanada Pivot Visa - cheap/free $2K "gas" spend per month

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Why would a purchase at PetroCanada ever get treated as a cash advance?
I recall some threads where that was the case for certain US prepaid cards or retailers. I agree that shouldn't be the case here.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry305
I recall some threads where that was the case for certain US prepaid cards or retailers. I agree that shouldn't be the case here.
The only time it can possibly be the case is for some CCs when prepaid products are purchased direct from the issuers, for example using a Citi card to buy Amex prepaid products direct from Amex.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Oh, okay. So if I need to generate $2000 spend on an Amex, I could buy the Visa card, load $250 on 8 occasions, then withdraw funds. This would generate $2000 in spend, and ____ points for the spend.

Are these cards ever treated as cash advances?
The only way I see that it's worth it is if you're getting 4% cash back on the Scotiabank Visa/Mastercard. I really absolutely see no point in wasting effort with AMEX at 2/$ which translates into 1cpm, or even worse, 1/$ spg at 2cpm.

Given that it's relatively easy to meet the low minimum spends on the cards in Canada, anyways, it's not really important as there's no 10k++ spend to hit in 3 months.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yerffej201
2 bucks to load 250, 3 bucks to withdraw. 5 bucks every 250 = 40 bucks/2k in and out. put on amex, 1cpm with 2x earning on gold bonus categories.
Some people may do it.
I think the ATM withdrawal fees would increase the cost per mile.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
I think the ATM withdrawal fees would increase the cost per mile.
So then use ATMs that don't charge fees.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:11 am

So then use ATMs that don't charge fees.
As far as I know, all banks charge an ATM fee for all non members and some bank members have to be on certain plans to have the fees waived. Non bank ATMs charge even more than the banks.
Wouldn't withdrawing from a Petro Canada Visa incur withdrawal fees? I'm guessing CIBC may be the only bank that may waive the fees as they have an affiliation with Petro Canada.
Its not a bad idea. Better than all the other prepaid visa, mc, amex options in Canada for generating some miles. 2miles / $ is ok but not as good as the US deals.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

As far as I know, all banks charge an ATM fee for all non members
You are incorrect.

Wouldn't withdrawing from a Petro Canada Visa incur withdrawal fees?
That has already been accounted for in the post you quoted above.

I'm guessing CIBC may be the only bank that may waive the fees as they have an affiliation with Petro Canada.
You are incorrect.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:55 pm

You are incorrect.

You are incorrect.
Maybe post something that offers insightful information or why even bother to respond. GEEZ!

Last edited by 1011TriStar; Mar 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-ca; SGH-T989D-parrot Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

You are incorrect.

You are incorrect.
Maybe post something that offers insightful information or why even bother to respond. GEEZ!
Ok, shall not bother correcting your assumptions going forward.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-ca; SGH-T989D-parrot Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Some people hate not knowing, then when you show them the path to knowledge, they hate the route that said path takes.
Better to leave those people ignorant.
(The only sad thing is that the ignorant are becoming a majority!)
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:12 pm

If you read my post, you'd see I stated " i guess" and I asked a question. That seems pretty far from an assumption, don't you think?
It's no biggie if you don't want provide information, that's fine, but why even bother to reply.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Some people hate not knowing, then when you show them the path to knowledge, they hate the route that said path takes.
Better to leave those people ignorant.
(The only sad thing is that the ignorant are becoming a majority!)
Seriously? We are talking about a $1.00 ATM fee. Not because I joined this site last year means I'm a novice at this. Like I said it is not a bad idea for a prepaid card. I share info with others on here and other sites (I've even had other posters ask me not to share certain info) and I keep some info to myself but why start a post if you want to keep this a secret.

"Path to knowledge....ignorant" - YGTBFKM

Last edited by 1011TriStar; Mar 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

It's no biggie if you don't want provide information, that's fine, but why even bother to reply.
why start a post if you want to keep this a secret.
I bothered to reply to just point out, to you and others reading, that there are ATMs that don't charge "convenience fees". With due respect, I am not a blogger with circles and arrows who is going to spoonfeed you, neither do I want to keep this a secret - I'm providing enough information for those who might not have come across these cards to do their own digging and develop their own strategy.

I think there is enough information in this thread for somebody interested in manufacturing "gas" spend for 2%, without too much information to get a newbie without enough tolerance for the game to get burnt.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:47 am

I bothered to reply to just point out, to you and others reading, that there are ATMs that don't charge "convenience fees". With due respect, I am not a blogger with circles and arrows who is going to spoonfeed you, neither do I want to keep this a secret - I'm providing enough information for those who might not have come across these cards to do their own digging and develop their own strategy.

I think there is enough information in this thread for somebody interested in manufacturing "gas" spend for 2%, without too much information to get a newbie without enough tolerance for the game to get burnt.
Thanks for the response. I understand what you mean. My apologies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.