Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:35 am

Not sure f this is normal or not... Didn't see it when I read through most of the back pages in this thread.

Loaded two $500 VGC's to Kate. 3rd $500 VGC, the payment method was declined. I clicked (with my finger) "try another payment method" or something like that and tried a different $500 VGC, payment method also declined. So I cancelled the transaction, waited for a receipt that didn't come and walked around for 15 minutes. I came back to Kate and tried yet another $500 VGC (the last one I had). and it went through. That was all I wanted to load so I could leave.

Is this usual? After loading $1K you have to wait 10-15 minutes before loading any more?

I called the VGC issuer about the 2 VGC's that were declined. They said no transaction about me having tried to use the card showed up.

It was interesting that when I loaded the second card, the first card hadn't posted to my GB acct yet, so the account total on the second receipt didn't reflect the first VGC. However the total on the 3rd receipt (that I had to wait to do the load for) did reflect the 1st two VGC's having been loaded.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by levander
Not sure f this is normal or not... Didn't see it when I read through most of the back pages in this thread.

Loaded two $500 VGC's to Kate. 3rd $500 VGC, the payment method was declined. I clicked (with my finger) "try another payment method" or something like that and tried a different $500 VGC, payment method also declined. So I cancelled the transaction, waited for a receipt that didn't come and walked around for 15 minutes. I came back to Kate and tried yet another $500 VGC (the last one I had). and it went through. That was all I wanted to load so I could leave.

Is this usual? After loading $1K you have to wait 10-15 minutes before loading any more?

I called the VGC issuer about the 2 VGC's that were declined. They said no transaction about me having tried to use the card showed up.

It was interesting that when I loaded the second card, the first card hadn't posted to my GB acct yet, so the account total on the second receipt didn't reflect the first VGC. However the total on the 3rd receipt (that I had to wait to do the load for) did reflect the 1st two VGC's having been loaded.
Yes. See the other threads about a "velocity limit" on Kates.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by unkinected
Yes. See the other threads about a "velocity limit" on Kates.
Okay, I'm going to look now, but I load 4 $500 VGC's on my Serve account one after another just fine... I was figuring it's a GoBank thing...

4th VGC being for only $499.99, of course.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:03 am

Just searched, I think you're talking about kate's velocity limit were you have to do the 4th VGC for only $499. I thought that was called the compliance limit...

When you hit that limit, the machine locks, a manager has to come over to put some codes into the machine...

What happened to me was my payments were just declined. No manager had to come over. When I cancelled the transaction, kate just went back to her regular start screen.

It's possible someone was there before me, but I had only loaded 2 $500 VGC's when I started getting this error. And like I said, the error symptons were different than hitting the compliance limit or the velocity limit.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:04 am

Keep swiping until it reads it. I swiped 4 times before it finally read.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:45 am

I've seen the problem you're talking about. It refuses to debit your card (and spits out a receipt with an error message), but doesn't lock itself down for velocity limit. I had the same reaction -- checked that I was using the right card, went out to my car and reset the PINs on both cards.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:27 pm

The other possibility is that GoBank has a $2500 load limit per 24 hour rolling day rather than calendar day. If you load in the afternoon one day and the next morning, it will spit out a "card over limit" decline slip.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
I think this product could best be described as No Bank.
Been off and on loading 1k to 2k a month for the past year. Then ramping about 3 months ago to 3k or 4k and not BP but letting build up a balance, even set up a small DD.
I'm just over $11k in NoBank and I get blocked.
I call in and CS issues thier lame verbal warning about excessive loading and unloading.
I argue a bit and get a supervisor because I'm just in the mood to tick someone else off.
Other than getting my side of the story and having them explain a vague, bogus rule - not much was accomplished.

I won't let them shut me down. I'll stop loading and BP out when CC bills come due and revoke my DD and leave the account with a penny balance.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:23 pm

I have been loading and unloading about 3k per month (pretty much all via bill pay except for a sprinkling of small swipes). About a month and a half ago, I started having a problem using the bill pay function on my account. The system would always say "technical difficulties." From the advice of someone on these forums, I had a workaround where I would just schedule the payment at least 1 day out. But now that doesn't work. I tried even scheduling 3 days out but I still get the "technical difficulties" error message. I have always done some small debit swipes mixed in. Oh, and I loaded it with 2 credit card loads at Rite Aid recently (just changed from Walmart loads to this type of load).
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Have you tried the mobile app?
I never had a schedule issue with it and the website was always buggy for me.

Originally Posted by Silverthunder
I have been loading and unloading about 3k per month (pretty much all via bill pay except for a sprinkling of small swipes). About a month and a half ago, I started having a problem using the bill pay function on my account. The system would always say "technical difficulties." From the advice of someone on these forums, I had a workaround where I would just schedule the payment at least 1 day out. But now that doesn't work. I tried even scheduling 3 days out but I still get the "technical difficulties" error message. I have always done some small debit swipes mixed in. Oh, and I loaded it with 2 credit card loads at Rite Aid recently (just changed from Walmart loads to this type of load).
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:11 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
What's the easiest way to get a card? I have one but I'd like to get one for my wife and I can't seem to get a good answer. Their facebook page is no help at all.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
What's the easiest way to get a card? I have one but I'd like to get one for my wife and I can't seem to get a good answer. Their facebook page is no help at all.
Currently you have to buy a GoBank starter kit. If memory serves me correct Rite Aid sells them.

For those that have used GoBank extensively have you loaded by other means? They have mobile deposit. Just wondering if the shut downs are directly related to swipe loading.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fuerza
Currently you have to buy a GoBank starter kit. If memory serves me correct Rite Aid sells them.

For those that have used GoBank extensively have you loaded by other means? They have mobile deposit. Just wondering if the shut downs are directly related to swipe loading.
when it comes to shutdowns, the answers are very YMMV.

With the monthly loading limits being lowered soon, I have been loading via swipes pretty heavy. I will use my balance for billpay over the next few months.

If shutdown happens, I still got in $$$ of load first.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
the monthly loading limits being lowered soon
When are they changing and to what amount? 3k/mo? I couldn't find any info on this but totally agree that if they are going to cripple the product might as well burn it to the ground and salt the earth!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by binnycode
When are they changing and to what amount? 3k/mo? I couldn't find any info on this but totally agree that if they are going to cripple the product might as well burn it to the ground and salt the earth!
Effective after 8/14, $3k load per rolling 30 days, max $2.5k per day.

http://travelwithgrant.com/wp-conten...ail-Update.png

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.