Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by ChurnCzar
So you loaded $6400 total this month? How much the month before?

Was the shutdown tied to your statement date?

I did about 3k last month and am looking at 15k this month - statement is about to cut - guess I should load for bear...
About 5K last month. No, my statement date isn't for another 2 weeks or so.

I emailed Customer Service about what was going on and this is the reply I got:

I'm sorry that your account is being closed. Unfortunately the decision is final. Here is the reason for your account closure:

To deter fraud and money laundering activities, we closely monitor accounts for activity that's inconsistent with how customers use checking accounts. We do our best to look out for our Members and wouldn't close accounts of any customers using GoBank normally. You've been depositing money and moving it out of the account with little-to-no spending activity (e.g., making purchases with your GoBank debit card). That is inconsistent with regular use and want to give you notice: we've closed your account.

We wish we didn't have to do this, but we just can't allow this activity to continue. It is a red flag for fraud and money laundering.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by rambro
You've been depositing money and moving it out of the account with little-to-no spending activity (e.g., making purchases with your GoBank debit card). That is inconsistent with regular use and want to give you notice: we've closed your account.
So, they are saying that this product has 0 value for this community and it is just a matter of time before everyone's account will be shutdown.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
So, they are saying that this product has 0 value for this community and it is just a matter of time before everyone's account will be shutdown.
Pretty much, although maybe mixing some regular spend may help? @rambro, did you have any debit card purchases?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:51 am

I'm sorry that your account is being closed. Unfortunately the decision is final. Here is the reason for your account closure:

To deter fraud and money laundering activities, we closely monitor accounts for activity that's inconsistent with how customers use checking accounts. We do our best to look out for our Members and wouldn't close accounts of any customers using GoBank normally. You've been depositing money and moving it out of the account with little-to-no spending activity (e.g., making purchases with your GoBank debit card). That is inconsistent with regular use and want to give you notice: we've closed your account.

We wish we didn't have to do this, but we just can't allow this activity to continue. It is a red flag for fraud and money laundering.

I received the same email, word for word.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
... and this is the reply I got:
You've been depositing money and moving it out of the account with little-to-no spending activity (e.g., making purchases with your GoBank debit card).
Thanks for sharing. Interesting.

MOs may be a way to go. At least 50% of unload...
Better from some grocery store, not WM (likely a well known route).

Some cashbacks with small purchases at grocery store might help a little...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:33 pm

What a complete load of Bull $hit.

That is the whole purpose of a checking account..put money in and the pay bills with it. I can't tell you the last time I used my chase checking debit card for a purchase....that's what credit cards are for.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by BenH

That is the whole purpose of a checking account..put money in and the pay bills with it. I can't tell you the last time I used my chase checking debit card for a purchase....that's what credit cards are for.
Yeah it sucks that they don't allow it. But oh well what can u do, they can do whatever they want, it's their property =(
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:51 pm

They should just come out and say it... If you dont swipe we dont get paid. Period.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:16 pm

I'm thinking about setting up about $100 of my paycheck to go DD to my account.

I'm also considering leaving about $2000 or so in my wife's account permanently.

I would think that someone doing DD shows that they aren't fraudsters.

Also, if I leave money in my wife's, aren't they earning off that? I think banks make as much holding onto your money then they do from a swipe fee or three a month...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:34 pm

Dunno man. People with good credit and a lot of options just don't seem to be of any interest to Green Dot. That's why they ban you from all their products.

Of course having DD plus a little everyday spend is better than not having it but if you are planning on funneling 5 figures through the cards billpay service rather than allowing them to collect the fees off of your swipe then you just aren't the customer for them. $100 DD isn't going to give them pause about closing accounts. Neither is holding $$$ in the vault. They can't go wild with that money and buy into risk/lucrative investments so the rate of returns they will be able to get off of your vault savings is nothing. Its just a marketing gimmick.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:48 pm

Just got my Gb card, and tried to load 2 $200 gift card with pin at the walmart register. The master gift card bought from staples works fine. however, when I continued to load the metallic vanilla gift card, it failed. tried several times, still not work. i checked the transaction online, it seems even the successful loading by the master gift card is caregorized as ' credit'. have anyone the same experience?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by woaibama
Just got my Gb card, and tried to load 2 $200 gift card with pin at the walmart register. The master gift card bought from staples works fine. however, when I continued to load the metallic vanilla gift card, it failed. tried several times, still not work. i checked the transaction online, it seems even the successful loading by the master gift card is caregorized as ' credit'. have anyone the same experience?
I couldn't load MC GC from Staples at WM Kiosks. All 3 attempts came back with errors.

I assume you did it with a cashier or CSR at Money Center?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:30 am

Is there any point in trying to fight with them over reopening it? Or trying to open a new account?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:00 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BenH

That's the exact same thing I was thinking. I randomly had to use my check card when I went to apply for a new passport. I didn't have another card on me to use as debit at the time and thought I could pay the fees with CC.

This at least lets me know that I need to make some debit purchases on my GoBank. I better hop to it since I have only made one ever.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:07 am

Is there any point in trying to fight with them over reopening it? Or trying to open a new account?
I don't think you would get it again. Try opening a new one from a friend/family and use their SSN (with their permission of course). That'll be the easiest way to continue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.