Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:09 pm

i'd like to try out this account. Can any current users pm me? I too will paypal upfront. TIA
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:47 pm

For those interested in an account, I highly suggest signing up the wait list and look out for their email in about two weeks. Check your SPAM because that's where I found my invite...
Old Apr 26, 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by jm38750n
For those interested in an account, I highly suggest signing up the wait list and look out for their email in about two weeks. Check your SPAM because that's where I found my invite...
signed up for wait list on 4/20, still waiting. if i receive an invitation i'll update on how long it took.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Originally Posted by phantasmic
signed up for wait list on 4/20, still waiting. if i receive an invitation i'll update on how long it took.
4/8 and still waiting
Old Apr 26, 2013, 4:59 pm

Got an invitation, signed up, got a message at the end saying that they can't allow me to open an account right now.

When I called I was told that their 3rd party system can't verify my personal info and there is no way for them to over ride this even if I send a copy of my DL. I have opened multiple CCs with exact same info so I am sure my personal info was not a problem.

I think the issue is that I have been kicked out by GD because of my loading - unloading freq and GoBank must be verifying my info against some sort of GD list. Will call CSR again to see if I can get more info.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:18 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by aegt123
Got an invitation, signed up, got a message at the end saying that they can't allow me to open an account right now.

When I called I was told that their 3rd party system can't verify my personal info and there is no way for them to over ride this even if I send a copy of my DL. I have opened multiple CCs with exact same info so I am sure my personal info was not a problem.

I think the issue is that I have been kicked out by GD because of my loading - unloading freq and GoBank must be verifying my info against some sort of GD list. Will call CSR again to see if I can get more info.
Rejected credit card funding..
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: ALL :)
Setting the Amount of Monthly Fee

So what do you guys recommend?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:25 am

+1
Originally Posted by jm38750n
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:32 am
jdl

Originally Posted by steventravel
So what do you guys recommend?
I found that odd. Why do they even ask that? Who would pick a fee greater than $0?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by jdl
I found that odd. Why do they even ask that? Who would pick a fee greater than $0?
Someone who thinks that useful things are worth something?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, UA, DL, SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Or someone who could not figure out if $0 will render the same service as $9
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:07 pm

I signed up March 14th and got the invite in my SPAM today. 6 weeks total. Just set up my account but I was unable to load using credit card. Not in any rush so I'll wait for my GoBank debit card and load with GreenDots then.

Originally Posted by vinyalwhl
4/8 and still waiting
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:18 pm
jdl

What do you get for signing up for a larger monthly fee on GoBank? The signup page lets you pick your amount from $0 to $9 with no indication a higher amount gets you anything more. I value Bluebird and their monthly fee is $0. GoBank will make money on the float and ATM fees regardless.

Last edited by jdl; Apr 30, 2013 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by jdl
OK, what do you get for signing up for a larger monthly fee on GoBank? The signup page lets you pick your amount from $0 to $9 with no indication a higher amount gets you anything more.
It doesn't, at least not directly. But if I thought GoBank was substantially better than all its competitors (I don't, at least not at the moment), I might be inclined to throw a few bucks their way in support. The idea is for it to be a way to motivate the developers to make a better product -- I'm sure the majority of people using it are paying $0.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:56 am

It doesn't, at least not directly. But if I thought GoBank was substantially better than all its competitors (I don't, at least not at the moment), I might be inclined to throw a few bucks their way in support. The idea is for it to be a way to motivate the developers to make a better product -- I'm sure the majority of people using it are paying $0.
I'd pay a few shekels if you could easily buy GDs with CCs and if they lowered the fee to $3.95 like VRs. But I'm not holding my breath...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.