Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Is there a good chance you will at least make it to your first statement before they close you or can you be closed prior to? What is the shortest amount of time before they close your account?
Several pages ago someone reported a shutdown with 800 dollars in load
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:27 pm

I got a GreenDot card a couple of years ago, and it expired during that time, with some money still on it (not much, perhaps as little as $100). However, the card has been deactivated and their system doesn't recognize it, or my SSN, so I can't talk to a human on their phone system.

Emailed them, they said I should use their phone system (which I obviously can't).

After reading posts in this thread for awhile, it seems like even people who put vast amounts of cash into GreenDot cards get screwed by them.

Isn't it, like, illegal for them to KEEP my money? Has anyone found a fast-track way to get them to give me back my money if a card has been deactivated? I saw there was a class action suit against them some time ago, but it got dismissed.

- Tim
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by tbessie
I got a GreenDot card a couple of years ago, and it expired during that time, with some money still on it (not much, perhaps as little as $100). However, the card has been deactivated and their system doesn't recognize it, or my SSN, so I can't talk to a human on their phone system.

Emailed them, they said I should use their phone system (which I obviously can't).

After reading posts in this thread for awhile, it seems like even people who put vast amounts of cash into GreenDot cards get screwed by them.

Isn't it, like, illegal for them to KEEP my money? Has anyone found a fast-track way to get them to give me back my money if a card has been deactivated? I saw there was a class action suit against them some time ago, but it got dismissed.

- Tim
There is no fast track anything when it comes to Green Dot. It was very surprising how easy it is to get your money when they shut down your GoBank card. Green Dot is a terrible, terrible company.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I check into my GB every day just to make sure it's active. I'm going to load slower once I get my second BB. I think I'll be able to ride out with this card for a while.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I check into my GB every day just to make sure it's active.
Same here. I'm loading and bill paying twice a week. I check it every morning bracing myself for the rejection
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by cowboyfan75220
Yes, you must involve a manager or it will stay locked. And don't assume that just bc manager unlocks it, that you can do another $1999. I had manager unlock it once and I did my 500 load while she was standing there. I told her that I had one more to load and she was ok with it, but she walked away. I tried my next load and it relocked it. Stick to the 12 min/under 2K rule and avoid the headache.
Sorry - but I tried 4 x 492 and it failed right away. I recommend everyone to swipe until 1500 or less and then go to the checkout lanes for the rest. Or wait 7 to 10 minutes and swipe some more.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
deleted

Last edited by mintcilantro; Aug 8, 2013 at 10:38 am Reason: TMI
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Gobank is like that porsche that you are afraid to take out because you will lose value by putting miles on it.

I almost feel tempted to go bonkers on my loads but I restrict myself to teh $800 loads to minimize # of loads. I'm still alive. I do about 4 loads every month and BP out.. not sure how long I'll be alive.
Great analogy. How many statements have generated for you?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Great analogy. How many statements have generated for you?
Can someone explain to me the "easy does it' logic? Why not go bonkers and do like $1500 a day in like 2-3 Walmarts and load up as much as you can...lets say 40,000 grand and if you get locked out....Ok Bill pay and it out and say thank you.

I don't get the $800/a week or a month....Am I missing something?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by michael21
Can someone explain to me the "easy does it' logic? Why not go bonkers and do like $1500 a day in like 2-3 Walmarts and load up as much as you can...lets say 40,000 grand and if you get locked out....Ok Bill pay and it out and say thank you.

I have enough other deals that I don't need to run that much through here. I'd rather estabilsh a pattern and have a set strategy that I can run through here. It's more valuble to me to be able to manufacture spend whenever I want than to crash and burn a deal and look or hope for a new one. Plus, I don't feel the need to buy a bunch of points just to jet across the world, so I don't need to run more than 10-15k through these avenues.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First

There is something to say for both methods, depending on one's goals. To each, their own.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:32 am

The whole going bonkers thing is what usually ends up killing deals for everyone. Not saying you shouldn't do it, cause there are definitely people on Flyertalk who will if you don't, but (in my opinion at least) it is detrimental to the greater good of the board.

I'm messing with buying a house right now, so I can't really participate in any of this stuff anyway for the time being. I'm just grateful I don't have coins to tempt me anymore - the lenders would have loved me back then.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
deleted

Last edited by mintcilantro; Aug 8, 2013 at 10:37 am Reason: TMI
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:44 pm

Well, it ended up that my card was unavailable because I had not used it in 2 years, and with the monthly non-use fee Green Dot applies, the card had dropped down to -$11.00 in value (I don't know what it had been originally). I didn't realize I was charged for not using it. Fun times. :-/

They'll send me a statement so at least I'll know how much I had in it before they closed it.

- Tim
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:46 pm

People are very happy with BB and their 5k/month limit. Most of the people shut down by Gobank have done more than 5k/month. Just because they don't have a limit doesn't mean they will look the other way. It would have been better if they had set a limit instead of just closing down accounts.

Secondly, the daily load limit is 2.5k. To push through 40k, it would take more than 2 weeks of loading the max every day. Gobank does shutdowns periodically and it wouldn't surprise me if you get shutdown before you reach your 40k or even a much lesser amount. So yes, you are missing something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.