Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by kenme1
Had 5 JP CG, loaded three at kiosk then locked up the machine. Took the other two to the MC and mentioned to the nice lady behind the counter about I must have locked it up and she mentioned that the machines always does that and then proceed to load my remaining 2 JP CG onto GB. Gotta love WM employees that don't give a sh*t!
Sorry for my ignorance but what is JP CG?

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
I knew somebody would get it.
And stop calling me Shirley!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by oracles4444
Sorry for my ignorance but what is JP CG?

Thanks
I interpreted it as a Chase product, but what do I know.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:11 pm

Account Closure

So am I correct that in all these closures with GoBank, once they close the account you can still billpay the rest out and you don't have to wait for any sort of check or anything?

Is that the same thing with MVD? You can ATM/CA it out and then it's over? By Closed they mean you just can't load anything on it anymore?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by michael21
So am I correct that in all these closures with GoBank, once they close the account you can still billpay the rest out and you don't have to wait for any sort of check or anything?

Is that the same thing with MVD? You can ATM/CA it out and then it's over? By Closed they mean you just can't load anything on it anymore?
As far as GB goes, yes. My account was closed, but I had no issues with billpaying the balance down to zero.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
My second statement closed and I'm still open. Here's an important note that someone posted a while back. Basically, if you keep loading while you have a sizable balance, it looks more like money laundering to them. Bill pay and swipe down to a small balance before you load again. Also, spread out your loads, even if they are 1k. 1k loads two or three days in a row seem to be bad. This is based on my experience and that of another member that said he got a bit more info from their customer service than we normally do.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:54 am

Can anyone confirm whether you can still load Chase GC to Gobank at Walmart kiosk?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
My second statement closed and I'm still open. Here's an important note that someone posted a while back. Basically, if you keep loading while you have a sizable balance, it looks more like money laundering to them. Bill pay and swipe down to a small balance before you load again. Also, spread out your loads, even if they are 1k. 1k loads two or three days in a row seem to be bad. This is based on my experience and that of another member that said he got a bit more info from their customer service than we normally do.
Im still open. 25K in July. Load and BP to $0. Maybe they are shutting people down alphabetically in reverse. My last name starts with an A lol.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriot Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Can anyone confirm whether you can still load Chase GC to Gobank at Walmart kiosk?
Yep, did this last Thursday. So I assume it's still working fine, but you never know...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by cashback
Im still open. 25K in July. Load and BP to $0. Maybe they are shutting people down alphabetically in reverse. My last name starts with an A lol.
that is awesome! GoBank has succeeded in scaring me into very low usage. I now only use for very low loads and then slow draws at the supermarket.

I hope your good luck streak continues. How much are going for in August?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06
that is awesome! GoBank has succeeded in scaring me into very low usage. I now only use for very low loads and then slow draws at the supermarket.

I hope your good luck streak continues. How much are going for in August?
Probably the same amount. I ended early in July and am starting late in Aug bc I was on vacation.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:06 pm

Anyone have advice on who sells MPs and accepts CC?

I live in NYC and the best option was RA, but the few I've checked don't have them anymore... 711 doesn't take CCs...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by crimson12
Anyone have advice on who sells MPs and accepts CC?

I live in NYC and the best option was RA, but the few I've checked don't have them anymore... 711 doesn't take CCs...
I believe it's been reported that you can't load with MPs anymore. If you can, then you slipped through the cracks.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:07 pm

Is there a good chance you will at least make it to your first statement before they close you or can you be closed prior to? What is the shortest amount of time before they close your account?

Last edited by ibleed0range; Aug 6, 2013 at 6:12 pm
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:18 pm

Im pretty sure almost everyone made it to one statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.