Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Re: TheCallange GF case
Your GF's loads can potentially be on the same time and/or on the same atm as yours ?.. And if such, gc between you two can be from the same batch...
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by vagrants
Not only $900, but TheChallenger was closed after a month. That's also new info. Did you load the cards while you were traveling? Was this $900 loaded the same day all at once?

I wouldn't say GB is completely useless. I don't think they close accounts randomly. There was/were things we did they didn't like. If the WM loading is getting people shutdown, all who loaded @ a WM get shutdown.
The loads were all done in my hometown at my normal WM's, the WM's actually happen to be in the same zip code as her office which is it address on file. And none of the loads on her card were in the same day. Each had a few days gap, she usually only loads or gets MOs for whatever I have left over.

Originally Posted by Bender464
That's just crazy, $900?!

The ONLY thing that I see as common are the swipe reloads. Why allow swipe reloads at all if it's not OK to do them!

What a way to open a new bank with a bang. Kick out a bunch of new members...
Yes I'm guessing in some way swipe reloads are what causes the issues.

Originally Posted by ChurnCzar
That is incredible that a $900 account got shut down.

2 semi-paranoid theories:

1) They are somehow able to tell where the loads originate - and OM $200 cards, which I'm sure they are seeing a bunch of - throw a trigger

and/or

2) Were you logging in to her account at the same IP address as yours? Of course that wouldn't trigger a shutdown, but maybe part of an account flag that since yours got shut down and someone is logging in from the same IP - that gets looked at.
To answer your questions,
1) Might be possible, the $500 load actually came from a real PayPal debit card. We drained a PP Cash card to GB to use as bill pay. And now that I think about it those two $200 gift cards came from a Safeway store due to the promotion going on, but they are the exact same type of cards as OM.
2) Last night was the first night I had ever logged on to her account, prior to that she only ever checked her balance on her phone after a load and her office. I'm fairly certain she signed up for the card using her office computer as well.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Not only $900, but TheChallenge was closed after a month. That's also new info. Did you load the cards while you were traveling? Was this $900 loaded the same day all at once? Was this $900 ever serially loaded (a part of your $15k loading...like you loaded her card 1 min after you loaded your card)? How close are your and your GF's zip? Is your GF AU on any of your CCs or vice versa or share a loan or anything that ties you and your GF?

I wouldn't say GB is completely useless. I don't think they close accounts randomly. There was/were thing(s) we did they didn't like. If the WM loading is getting people shutdown, all who loaded @ a WM get shutdown.

Since your GF has a legit concern, are you going to call them and see what you can find out?
Well, I think a couple of folks have reported a majority of MPs being loaded and being shut down. This is crazy and makes me think that GreenDot is going after the lowest of the low. I don't think they want ANY savvy customers and are simply trying to make fees off of poor people.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:53 am

TheChallenge, were your GF's card serially loaded? (I have a habit of modifying my post after I post...and you replied before my modification to the post was completed)? Are there any way of implicating you two live together like having a loan or AU on each others CCs, etc? I assume all bills sent to her goes to her office? What do you mean by "she usually only loads or gets MOs for whatever I have left over"?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pier11
Re: TheCallange GF case
Your GF's loads can potentially be on the same time and/or on the same atm as yours ?.. And if such, gc between you two can be from the same batch...
Nope, now that I've thought about it those two $200 gcs came from Safeway. Everything loaded on to my personal GB card came from OM and Chase gcs. She bought the Safeway gcs and loaded them herself to see if the promotion worked with fuel points, I wasn't even with her at the time. Otherwise I likely would have dumped half of my OM gcs on to her GB account haha.

The only correlation I can see between our two accounts is she used an authorized user card from one of my credit cards to purchase the gift cards at Vons. Besides that I'm coming up with nothing.

*Edit*She does have an authorized user card but the card for both myself and her is actually attached to an address out of state. That address isn't associated with either of our GB accounts.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
*Edit*She does have an authorized user card but the card for both myself and her is actually attached to an address out of state. That address isn't associated with either of our GB accounts.
I guess how they verify 'identities' is important...and how far. That seems like a suspect. Not only she's AU, but out of state address. Is this how all of your CCs set up or this one only?

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 30, 2013 at 8:09 am
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
A hypothetical question: Based on the evidence to date, if one had a large amount of GCs to liquidate, would there be any reason NOT to load the max ($2.5K) daily until the inevitable shutdown occurs? What would be the point of hanging on to this card?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by kjgco
A hypothetical question: Based on the evidence to date, if one had a large amount of GCs to liquidate, would there be any reason NOT to load the max ($2.5K) daily until the inevitable shutdown occurs? What would be the point of hanging on to this card?
I have been asking myself this same question. Still unsure.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I don't think they want ANY savvy customers and are simply trying to make fees off of poor people.
This. I'm willing to bet that all they really want is DD customers and/or MP loaders. Debit swipes, regardless of whether they are GCs don't fit into their business model. They'll probably allow them in order to be competitive, but more than one or two debit swipes a month and you're costing them money. Very, very shady.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
This. I'm willing to bet that all they really want is DD customers and/or MP loaders. Debit swipes, regardless of whether they are GCs don't fit into their business model. They'll probably allow them in order to be competitive, but more than one or two debit swipes a month and you're costing them money. Very, very shady.
We'll find out when PainCorp gets shutdown if WM loading is the problem or not since PainCorp has the lowest # of loads so far...and alive. The $900 issue I'm putting it on outlier category at the time being...

By the way, thanks for the 90 day probation info, PainCorp.

TheChallenger: GoBank is the only product from GreenDot you guys used, correct?

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 30, 2013 at 8:48 am
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by kjgco
I was thinking the same way. Seriously thinking going full blast once next shipment of Chase cards arrives.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:51 am

I guess how they verify 'identities' is important...and how far. That seems like a suspect. Not only she's AU, but out of state address. Is this how all of your CCs set up or this one only?
It could be, but I doubt it. It's a business card attached to a real business I own, I have multiple people on that account, and none of them look like they have any relationship to me other than a professional one. I have multiple credit cards like that since I do business in multiple states, but am only actually incorporated in one state. On paper she looks like she is an employee of a company I own. Even if Green Dot went that deep, she looks like an employee. It'd be a little nuts to shut down someone's personal account because their boss had their bank account closed.

I plan on calling on her account at least, but she's asleep right now so it might be a couple hours.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Artemk
I was thinking the same way. Seriously thinking going full blast once next shipment of Chase cards arrives.
It depends upon how you want to play the game. Quick gratification (like a sign-up bonus) or long-term milking (like dealing with Chase Freedom). And, it's too early to say long-term milking is impossible. And, for now, quick gratification is the best choice since we don't know the probable causes of shutdowns.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:56 am

TheChallenger: GoBank is the only product from GreenDot you guys used, correct?
Correct. I've steered clear of them so far because of the reputation, I only tried this one because I thought things would be different. I've never so much as bought even a MP. Same for her.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
I plan on calling on her account at least
Keep us posted. I'll be checking the thread regularly throuout the day then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.