Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by ChurnCzar
Wish I had done a search earlier. Go Bank just rejected an ACH pull from C1 for a CC payment. Took 4 days to post back.
i can confirm ach pull worked for chase, citi and barclays ^
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL
Originally Posted by oohaahouch
HUGE question, how do you do a pull from Barclays? I tried to make the payment yesterday from Barclays side but my SallieMae card doesn't even recognize GoBank routing number.

Also, this morning I received an email from another GoBank account saying that my scheduled bill pay was declined. But when I log into the account, the balance was reduced by the amount of the bill pay and the bill pay transaction was correctly posted. Has anyone encountered this same problem? Don't want to call CS with all the cash load transactions on the account.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by lad2
Up to $500 daily. No published monthly limit. You should try to read the agreement here for more details https://www.gobank.com/legal/deposit-account-agreement.
Thanks for posting that link! I've been searching for that, but hadn't found yet.

Definitely required reading... ^
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by myndreamland

Also, this morning I received an email from another GoBank account saying that my scheduled bill pay was declined. But when I log into the account, the balance was reduced by the amount of the bill pay and the bill pay transaction was correctly posted. Has anyone encountered this same problem? Don't want to call CS with all the cash load transactions on the account.
Yes. I called CS because it was my very first bill pay and they wouldn't see anything suspicious. They said they would look into it and email me. Turns out it was just a glitch and the payment went through just fine.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I had my first issue today. I tried to load 1500 bucks on GB and have them do it as one transaction with 3 separate payments. I'm pretty sure I've done it with 2 before. It couldn't work and 2 folks had to be called over. The people behind me were pissed. I walked out of there. I'm going to the WalMart closer to me and will do it with 3 separate transactions next time.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I had my first issue today. I tried to load 1500 bucks on GB and have them do it as one transaction with 3 separate payments. I'm pretty sure I've done it with 2 before. It couldn't work and 2 folks had to be called over. The people behind me were pissed. I walked out of there. I'm going to the WalMart closer to me and will do it with 3 separate transactions next time.
Isn't the daily limit $1100.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by SGJazz
Isn't the daily limit $1100.
Walmart's limit of loading to GB is $1,100 - at least this is what kiosks say
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Artemk
Walmart's limit of loading to GB is $1,100 - at least this is what kiosks say
I didn't know that. Oops.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
https://www.gobank.com/faq/
Deposit Cash for Free You can deposit cash for free at more than 3,900 Walmart locations with Rapid Reload nationwide (not available in VT or WY). The cashier will swipe your GoBank card and add cash directly to your account. There's no charge for this, and the money will be available instantly. We allow between $20 (minimum) and $1,100 (maximum) per transaction. The maximum you can deposit in cash in one day is $2,500. Keep a look-out here for new cash deposit locations, which we'll be adding soon.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:54 pm

https://www.gobank.com/faq/
Deposit Cash for Free You can deposit cash for free at more than 3,900 Walmart locations with Rapid Reload nationwide (not available in VT or WY). The cashier will swipe your GoBank card and add cash directly to your account. There's no charge for this, and the money will be available instantly. We allow between $20 (minimum) and $1,100 (maximum) per transaction. The maximum you can deposit in cash in one day is $2,500. Keep a look-out here for new cash deposit locations, which we'll be adding soon.
I'm that guy that didn't pay attention and read all of the fine print.

*hangs head in shame* *prepares for flogging by FTers*
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
I'm that guy that didn't pay attention and read all of the fine print.

*hangs head in shame* *prepares for flogging by FTers*
LoL, which one is worse? flogging by FTers or being stared down at Wally world?

Last edited by lad2; Jun 25, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:23 pm

LoL, which one is worst? flogging by FTers or being stared down at Wally world?
I HATE it when I hold other people up with this stuff. Just because I know how mad I would be.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
I HATE it when I hold other people up with this stuff. Just because I know how mad I would be.
This lady behind me was muttering obscenities. I couldn't hear for sure, but I'm sure of it. There were cops in line with their donuts. I think they were going to take their baton upside my head. Holding up the line is definitely worse than the flogging. It's worse because it was my error.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
LoL, which one is worse? flogging by FTers or being stared down at Wally world?
I'll pick "C", neither!!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
But based on the 500 dollars a day - you ACH a payment for 500 a day - to pay off your CC bill - would take quite a few days! I am sure your are spending more than 500 manufactured dollars a month - no? Either way, love the larger capacity - but HATE GB for not allowing me to pay multiple CC from a single payee at once! AHH! I have to pay my Chase cards in order and wait for them to clear and then pay the next card and so on...

It makes for a headache, and I am afraid of tracking once the "old payee" becomes the new payee, which are all just Chase Cards - anyone have this concern and does it work fine?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.