Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by rambo
I applied for this on 3/9 and finally got the accepted yesterday.

After I tried to register, I got this error after the last step:
"Thanks so much for your interest in GoBank. We appreciate the love, but unfortunately, we can't approve you at this time. "
The tile of the window was 'Validation failed'

Has anyone experienced this?
Originally Posted by aegt123
Yes, same thing happened to me. Two reasons this could have happened

1. The info that you provided them does't match with the info they got on your from third party verification sites
2. You have been banned by Greendot
Got the same message, and I am very much certain in my case it's #2...

I was hoping that perhaps they didn't maintain information from the GreenDot card side of things, obviously I was wrong.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by jk2
Got a call today from GoBank - nice lady was interested how I'm going to use my account in the future. I was loading 1-2K/week and then pay bills. No ATM. Couple of small purchases. I hope it does not mean "soon-to-be-shutdown".

EDIT: this month I loaded $12K. No wonder they called.
Just got the same call, wrote it up: http://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/2...ee-quent-flyer
Old May 30, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jk2
Got a call today from GoBank - nice lady was interested how I'm going to use my account in the future. I was loading 1-2K/week and then pay bills. No ATM. Couple of small purchases. I hope it does not mean "soon-to-be-shutdown".

EDIT: this month I loaded $12K. No wonder they called.
This is a good early data point. I guess they want to see us do some swiping so they can charge some fees.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jk2
I said yes. Now I'm wondering if it was a correct answer.
That coudl be someone from the marketing department doing research. It could be innocent. All of the banks offer bill pay and want folks to use it, so I don't know that they will get too upset. I wonder if the swipe fees are more lucrative.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
the initial load up from debit card is flaky, i had no luck in 3 days, ended up doing a mp
Thanks for this data point.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by sgideons
Just got the same call, wrote it up: http://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/2...ee-quent-flyer
were you also in same ball park of loading 10-12k?
Old May 30, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by oohaahouch
were you also in same ball park of loading 10-12k?
Closer to 15k.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by sgideons
Closer to 15k.
ok, may be 5 figure triggers it or something. thanks
Old May 30, 2013, 4:54 pm

I load enough to pay all of my bills and get a bit extra. I'm going to churn much more with this product since I have great access to GCs.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:51 pm

Recieved my Gobank card today.

I guess I can only load with Chase GC or other Cards with a PIN and going to Walmart. Moneypak is ONLY for the initial load. I didn't realize this. If I had known, I would not have gotten myself a GoBank Card.

Last edited by metoo; May 30, 2013 at 6:33 pm
Old May 30, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Got the same message, and I am very much certain in my case it's #2...

I was hoping that perhaps they didn't maintain information from the GreenDot card side of things, obviously I was wrong.
I just tried to apply for my elderly mother using all the correct info and got the same message and she has never had GD.

Why are we getting these messages and is there anything we can do about it.

Would someone post the answer if you want but PM please the answer.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by metoo

I guess I can only load with Chase GC or other Cards with a PIN and going to Walmart. Moneypak is ONLY for the initial load. I didn't realize this. If I had known, I would not have gotten myself a GoBank Card.
I just loaded an MP into it today.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH

Correction: MP is only for initial load via GoBank site. You can still load MP once you have the GoBank debit card at moneypak.com.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
How long for card to arrive?

I loaded my account a week ago, but still no card. How long is taking for them to arrive? Thanks.

xlax
Old May 30, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
I'm NOT having a good experience with this "bank".

Cannot get website to accept my debit card (GC), and now they are refusing my check deposit via phone app (which SUCKS!!!).

So I guess until I have made an initial deposit (somehow), I will not get a permanent card?

Last edited by Bender464; May 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm Reason: to ask question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.