Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 9:31 pm

Ive never tried loading my GB at the register. I figured theyd give you the deer in the headlights stare until you say never mind.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:42 am
jk2

Originally Posted by cashback
Ive never tried loading my GB at the register. I figured theyd give you the deer in the headlights stare until you say never mind.
I don't see a problem here. I also saw a look from cashiers when they saw GB card. Just tell them that this is a GreenDot card, new design. Usually, when they swipe it, the system immediately recognize it - gives 3 options: 1-Load, 2-withdraw cash,...
Old May 27, 2013, 12:40 pm

I am new to GoBank. Just opened the account with initial deposit from by debit card.

Can you load GoBank using Gift cards with PIN?

I donot think, I was aware of this option.
Please advise.

Thanks
Old May 27, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by BenH
So - the weirdest part about all of this is the fact that the kiosk prevented my from loading my GB card - requesting a login, even though my BB card loaded fine, and then $500 on my wife's GB card loaded fine. It would seem to me that the security message that came up on the kiosk was not targeted to any particular card, but rather the fact that several $500 transactions had taken place in succession. How/why else would it have blocked a card that it had never seen before?
@BenH, I had the same thing happed today, except it was for the same GB card. I loaded two MettaBank cards, got denied for the OneVanilla card, then tried to add 1K with my PP debit and it required store login.

I wasnt sure if it was the multiple attempts or the amount that triggered it. It doesnt make much sense in your situation where you were loading multiple cards.
Originally Posted by Happy
Have this occurred to anyone of you that if you prefer Kiosks, then take a break between loads, say 10 min to walk around the store, then come back to finish the business? Try that and may be you then find the workaround.
Happened to me as well. I load BB for self and hubby. Now I go to customer service and load $500 on each, then i go to kiosk and load $500 on each. No biggie! ^
Old May 28, 2013, 10:04 am

Someone over on FW said a GB CSR told him they were no longer going to be accepting MoneyPaks except for initial load.

That doesnt make sense to me. A company wont accept their own product?
Old May 28, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by Nishant1
I am new to GoBank. Just opened the account with initial deposit from by debit card.

Can you load GoBank using Gift cards with PIN?

I donot think, I was aware of this option.
Please advise.

Thanks
I also am new to GB. I have not made my initial deposit yet as I've only tried GCs w/PIN and it hasn't worked.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
I also am new to GB. I have not made my initial deposit yet as I've only tried GCs w/PIN and it hasn't worked.
oh darn. i was going to try that. will be going to WM this week to try out my options and will report on which one i succeed with.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by phantasmic
oh darn. i was going to try that. will be going to WM this week to try out my options and will report on which one i succeed with.
I haven't tried loading GB @ WM yet with GCs since I don't yet have GB perm card. But I'm sure it works FINE. ^
Old May 28, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm still waiting for my invite. I've been checking my spam folder, but no dice. I need another way to liquidate GCs, so I hope this is it.
Old May 28, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
I haven't tried loading GB @ WM yet with GCs since I don't yet have GB perm card. But I'm sure it works FINE. ^
ohhhh, ok, of course, that makes sense. thanks for the clarification. yeah actually i forgot i don't have the perm card either. so i guess i can try a money pak.
Old May 28, 2013, 4:56 pm

Anyone been able to get OneVanilla or VanillaVisa GC's to work loading your GB?
Old May 28, 2013, 9:34 pm

Anyone been able to get OneVanilla or VanillaVisa GC's to work loading your GB?
Yes, loaded a MetaBank and a Vanilla Visa gift card Sunday at the WM kiosk, no hitches.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko
Yes, loaded a MetaBank and a Vanilla Visa gift card Sunday at the WM kiosk, no hitches.
You just made up a PIN for the vanilla visa?
Old May 28, 2013, 9:48 pm

You just made up a PIN for the vanilla visa?
Yes. And I used the default last 4 digits for the MetaBank card. Both worked fine.

Edit: I just checked and it was a OneVanilla, not a Vanilla gift card... probably makes no difference... but just in case.

Last edited by Wonko; May 28, 2013 at 9:55 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Wonko
Yes. And I used the default last 4 digits for the MetaBank card. Both worked fine.

Edit: I just checked and it was a OneVanilla, not a Vanilla gift card... probably makes no difference... but just in case.
I got denied at the kiosk with a OneVanilla. Idk why they wont let you pre set a PIN online and make it easy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.