Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by jk2
I saw at my WM a WM Moneycard Preferred prepaid card from GreenDot. What is interesting about this card is no fee rapid reload (usually $3/reload) and online bill payment. Looks very attractive, but my GB card was closed a month ago and I do remember that GB closing message contained some wording like "no more GreenDOt products for you". Is this true? I don't want to buy this card if I couldn't get a personalized card.
Yeah, all the same with me.
Saw that card too - a black one, Preferred. No reload fee, bill pay. Monthly fees waived on 500 relod.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:22 am
jk2

Originally Posted by pier11
Saw that card too - a black one, Preferred. No reload fee, bill pay. Monthly fees waived on 500 relod.
Did you try to sign up for this card?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by jk2
No. I believe I'm blacklisted for GoBank...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:52 am

Can you load this card with a CC or a debit/GC pin enabled at WM?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by oracles4444
Can you load this card with a CC or a debit/GC pin enabled at WM?
Physical WM store, free reload with debit card. Same as GoBank card.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I just bought the black Walmart Preferred today. Not many details yet, but I hope to use it like GoBank and also hope to load it via MP.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Workers at the Walmart told police they received a call from a man who said there were bombs inside the store and that if the workers notified police he would detonate the bombs, police said.

The man told workers that if they gave him money through Green Dot Money Packs he would not detonate the bombs, police said.

link
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch
Workers at the Walmart told police they received a call from a man who said there were bombs inside the store and that if the workers notified police he would detonate the bombs, police said.

The man told workers that if they gave him money through Green Dot Money Packs he would not detonate the bombs, police said.

link
Thats the second time I've heard that one. I believe the last one was at a K Mart. Sad the things people will do for a little bit of cash...
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2Sav12
I just bought the black Walmart Preferred today. Not many details yet, but I hope to use it like GoBank and also hope to load it via MP.
Keep us posted.

There were two versions of the black Preferred card - Visa and Mastercard.
In distant theory Mastercard could support rePower and be loaded via VR... Doubtful GD will enable it though.

But point of course in free reloads at WM. This is quite unique, while there tons MP compatible cards around.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:49 pm

Keep us posted.

There were two versions of the black Preferred card - Visa and Mastercard.
In distant theory Mastercard could support rePower and be loaded via VR... Doubtful GD will enable it though.

But point of course in free reloads at WM. This is quite unique, while there tons MP compatible cards around.
Whats the difference between debit/gc reloads we do to GB/BB and wm rapid reload?
Thats the only benefit I can see to the Preferred vs the Plus, free rapid reloads for the Pref.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by BBPlaya13
Whats the difference between debit/gc reloads we do to GB/BB and wm rapid reload?
Thats the only benefit I can see to the Preferred vs the Plus, free rapid reloads for the Pref.
My understanding that Rapid Reload is WM's system that loads prepaid cards - many different cards (HR Block, Account Now, MyVanilla, etc. etc.) for 3.74 fee. My guessing that GB is also gets loaded via that system, but fees are 0.

So again beauty of the Preferred card is that load fees are 0. Compared to any other version - about $3+ for reload.

Last edited by pier11; Oct 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:16 pm

My understanding that Rapid Reload is WM's system that loads prepaid cards - many different cards (HR Block, Account Now, MyVanilla, etc. etc.) for 3.74 fee. My guessing that GB is also gets loaded via that system, but fees are 0.

So again beauty of the Preferred card is that load fees are 0. Compared to any other version - about $3+ for reload.
But you still have to pay a monthly fee with this card, might as well stay with BB. Free to have the BB card.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by oracles4444
But you still have to pay a monthly fee with this card, might as well stay with BB. Free to have the BB card.
waived if load 500/mo.

It's not the question either/or, it's in addition to.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:48 pm

waived if load 500/mo.

It's not the question either/or, it's in addition to.
Ahhhhhhh, i miss that part of being waived. Thanks

I guess it is good then.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by jk2
I saw at my WM a WM Moneycard Preferred prepaid card from GreenDot. What is interesting about this card is no fee rapid reload (usually $3/reload) and online bill payment. Looks very attractive, but my GB card was closed a month ago and I do remember that GB closing message contained some wording like "no more GreenDOt products for you". Is this true? I don't want to buy this card if I couldn't get a personalized card.
I was also prev shutdown by GD and tried but was not able to get a WM Moneycard Preferred personalized card.
I bought it at WM. When tried to register online it said it could not verify my personal info and no personalized card would be sent. Called in , got automated message saying my personal info could not be verified so my card can only be used for purchases and cannot be reloaded, and that a CSR will have no further info on why this is the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.