Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by Corridor!
Do you think it's the amount of transactions or the amount being loaded in multiple transactions? I know I did 5 kiosk transactions in a short time frame. (Each load was $50) I just can't remember how many I did in a row without a pause. I paused due to the balances not showing correctly, so I can't remember the exact sequence.
I am pretty sure it's the amount. I loaded 2 $500 GCs onto BB at kiosk today. Paused for about 3-4 minuts, then when I tried to load $1,000 onto Green Dot - I got 'call for manager' message. I had this happen to me once before - also at $2,000 mark.

No charge to load at Walmart. You can use either the kiosk or the money center. Your choice.
Thanks. It looks like since I have regular prepaid card, not the bank account - it wants to charge me.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by Artemk
An hour later went to Money Center - load $996.26, charged me $3.74 fee. Total due - $1,000. Asked cashier to charge $500 first, swiped the first card - enter PIN, approved. Total due - $500. Swiped the second card - enter PIN, flashes 'approved' for a second, spits out a small 'debit not approved call authorizer' receipt.
Do you guys think these problems could be due to the fact that this is my first load? Should I try to do it with GD money pack?
Old May 17, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Originally Posted by Corridor!
I was able to load today at Walmart. I also spoke with them and they said that they will still allow debit loads after May 30th at Walmart. Obviously we can no longer do it online.
If enough people call up Gobank to request for debit loads online to be reinstated, they may change their minds.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by bensim
If enough people call up Gobank to request for debit loads online to be reinstated, they may change their minds.
Highly doubt it
Old May 18, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL
Finally got my account opened after less than 2 days wait. The big question is whether GoBank will allow ACH pulls from, say a BoA account. I think I read somewhere that it is possible but I haven't tried yet for fear of an NSF fee. Has anyone actually tried this? Do you think this will raise the risk of getting shut down by GoBank?
Old May 18, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Haven't tried from BoA, but Gobank allows ACH pulls from Chase/Citi/Barclays/US Bank so i'd say your chances are excellent.
Old May 19, 2013, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by sgideons
Haven't tried from BoA, but Gobank allows ACH pulls from Chase/Citi/Barclays/US Bank so i'd say your chances are excellent.
How did you link Chase? I wasn't able to. And, I know another person who is reliable couldn't link.
Old May 19, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
Originally Posted by sgideons
How did you link Chase? I wasn't able to. And, I know another person who is reliable couldn't link.
My mistake, I didn't realize you meant an ACH pull to a checking account, I haven't tried that, I do ACH pulls to pay off my credit cards.

I do believe it will work, though, using whatever Chase's equivalent of Bank of America's "outside the bank transfer" is, although I don't know if Chase's is also free. Or you could hack together something with Chase KwikPay.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
I just deposited $200 to my gobank account using debit card. So deposit online using debit card is still working.
Old May 19, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Originally Posted by karenfly
I just deposited $200 to my gobank account using debit card. So deposit online using debit card is still working.
Was this your first deposit? If yes, then this is apparently allowed. After this, this option may not be available. Check again and see how it goes.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
No, I deposited 5*$200 last month. it was over 30 days since my last debit deposit, so I deposited $200 yesterday. The option is still available for me.

Originally Posted by bensim
Was this your first deposit? If yes, then this is apparently allowed. After this, this option may not be available. Check again and see how it goes.
Old May 21, 2013, 5:26 pm

mms just posted today
Old May 21, 2013, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by therabbit
mms just posted today
What can I say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

http://freequentflyerbook.com/?tag=gobank
Old May 21, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
It's one thing to repost info from other sources. But it's crossing the line when he's passing it as his own.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:22 pm

Returned Payments

I would watch out with ACH pulls. I've had GoBank return several w/ no explanation why and my bank charges $25 for each one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.