Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:44 am
Original Member

GoBank reload

Thanks for the help jake66. Got my GoBank reloaded at a cashier and one time at a kiosk. Now to go at it slow, but sure. A few purchases and some small cashbacks just to get started.

Are any of you afraid your credit cards will shut you down AND take back all the points you've earned for doing manufactured spend? I would hate to lose all the points/miles that I already have!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by cmwdjw

Are any of you afraid your credit cards will shut you down AND take back all the points you've earned for doing manufactured spend? I would hate to lose all the points/miles that I already have!
That is always a risk in the MS game.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by jake66
gobank will shut you down without warning
My GoBank account was killed after less than ten MP loads.

Originally Posted by cashback
That is always a risk in the MS game.
Which is why we cash out and/or deposit miles in our favorite program(s) ASAP.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by cmwdjw
Thanks for the help jake66. Got my GoBank reloaded at a cashier and one time at a kiosk. Now to go at it slow, but sure. A few purchases and some small cashbacks just to get started.

Shut down? Rare but it happens, usually after a big run-up or other odd activity. Take away points? Only if they are bank points such as UR or TYP. Reports: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...employees.html http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...0-000-urs.html http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...disclosed.html
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:46 am

Anyone have any luck with 7-11 loads?

I went to my local 7-11 today and showed the guy my GoBank card and asked if they load those here. He looked at it with furrowed brow and said "No, I don't think we do."

I said that the card's website said that they loaded them at 7-11s, so he said we can go ahead and try it.

He took the card and swiped it and asked me how much I wanted to load. I said "$100" and then on the customer keypad a line item showed up that said something like:

GDB Universal $100

So, I was giddy for a minute because it recognized the card. It then had buttons for CREDIT/DEBIT. Strangely enough, he didn't say anything about how I wanted to pay...I wasn't even given an option for cash (although I suppose I could have asked him if I wanted to...).

I pressed DEBIT, then was asked for my PIN...put that in and then in a few seconds it simply said "DECLINED" at the bottom of my screen and the cashier said again "No, it doesn't look like it works here."

Anyway, there could be many issues:
1) GoBank hasn't really rolled this out yet to 7-11
2) Not all 7-11s participate
3) It didn't like debit loads
4) It didn't like my particular GC (same one I use at WM kiosks all the time).

Hoping that some others still using GB with some 7-11s nearby want to continue testing and figure out what is going on.

I considered calling GB to ask about the issues, but didn't want to draw attention to my account.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:13 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Closed!

Mobile app says account closed; phone rep says "under review".

I'm shocked that I'm closed because I used this as a pretty straight up account with very puny MS:
- 5 total reloads over 2 1/2 months (3x$500, 2<$500)
- regular debit purchases (at Aldi, debit only)
- 3 bill pay (tuition)
- 12-15 deposits of misc. checks (mostly daughter's babysitting checks)
- Four ATM withdrawals

What apparently raised their eyebrows was an approximately $400 credit I received from a retailer from whom I'd not made a purchase with the card. I had purchased Lands' End items with a Sears gift card. They ended up being wrong size, so I returned them and swiped the GoBank for the credit since I didn't want another Sears gift card.

The return was last monday; the credit posted to GoBank Thursday. Account either closed or under review as of today (monday).

Horrible customer service to freeze / close my account with no attempt to communicate to me, especially given the usage on the account being very normal.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by BenH
It then had buttons for CREDIT/DEBIT.
I'd not hesitate to give a try to CREDIT

Unrelated, tried credit at DG to load via Vanilla network - no luck for me. Either the system or less likely cashier nullified attempt, seen as negative amount of load on display...
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by akp

I'm shocked that I'm closed because I used this as a pretty straight up account with very puny MS:
- 3 bill pay (tuition)
- Four ATM withdrawals

What apparently raised their eyebrows was an approximately $400 credit I received from a retailer from whom I'd not made a purchase with the card. I had purchased Lands' End items with a Sears gift card. They ended up being wrong size, so I returned them and swiped the GoBank for the credit since I didn't want another Sears gift card.

The return was last monday; the credit posted to GoBank Thursday. Account either closed or under review as of today (monday).

Horrible customer service to freeze / close my account with no attempt to communicate to me, especially given the usage on the account being very normal.
What did they earn on you? Nothing.
What did they loose on you - 5 reload fees at WM at least.
Do they what to continue this way - no

Other loading methods (not for GB) are more sustainable as you at least cover reload fee - 3.95 in VR case.

Regular WM reload fee - 3.74
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:55 pm
akp

Originally Posted by akp

- 3 bill pay (tuition)
- Four ATM withdrawals

Update: GoBank has re-opened/unfrozen my account and apologized repeatedly for the inconvenience caused by their error.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by akp
Update: GoBank has re-opened/unfrozen my account and apologized repeatedly for the inconvenience caused by their error.
That would be the first case of GoBank re-opening the account...
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Shall we all call?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by pier11
Shall we all call?
Feel free to try. His was closed based on a fraud alert. All the rest of ours were closed by 'compliance'.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:36 pm
akp

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
I'm not sure if it was ever really closed; probably more accurate to say it was unfrozen.

My iPhone app said "this account has been closed" but the web-based account only showed that I needed to call in. When I called, the CSRs never said it was closed, just that the credit transaction required investigation.

Anita
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:38 am

i got shutdown this week with the standard email seen in this thread about fraud/ML.

my history:
initial deposit funded w/$50 GC
no use for ~2 mo
2 mo of $7.5k deposits WM swipe reloads (2.5k each time)
shutdown occurred mid-cycle, NOT right around the statement date

never used the debit card for purchases. only used billpay service for legit bills (and some to CCs, but not much)

i sent them testy emails/tweets. not expecting fruitful responses, but why not try
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:33 pm
jk2

I saw at my WM a WM Moneycard Preferred prepaid card from GreenDot. What is interesting about this card is no fee rapid reload (usually $3/reload) and online bill payment. Looks very attractive, but my GB card was closed a month ago and I do remember that GB closing message contained some wording like "no more GreenDOt products for you". Is this true? I don't want to buy this card if I couldn't get a personalized card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.