FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1428935-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card.html)

mozart23 Sep 4, 2013 11:38 am

Just logged onto my account and it still seems to be in working order. Opened the account in late May but have only pushed a little under $10k. All billpay, no swipes. We'll see if I get swept up in the current wave.

Slickw Sep 4, 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains (Post 21387920)
The major difference between GoBank and other products that you've mentioned is that GoBank can and will shut you down. It is just a matter of time.
Small amounts won't help.

Neither will direct deposit.

LoveMountains Sep 4, 2013 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 21388111)
If you drain the funds before reloading, you are ok with small amounts. If you continually load small amounts without spending, they think we are money laundering.

It simply not true.

pier11 Sep 4, 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains (Post 21388546)
It simply not true.

+1

ChurnCzar Sep 4, 2013 1:34 pm

Just added mine up - $43k over 4 months. All billpay and ATM. Walmart will miss seeing me...

TheDapperDon Sep 4, 2013 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains (Post 21388546)
It simply not true.

Well, I'm still open. That's what's worked for me. I'm going to swipe, load up to 1k at a time, BP, and go slow. It's a small MS play.

We don't know what's true, because we don't have info directly from the company. We can only go by anecdotal evidence.

smitty06 Sep 4, 2013 2:34 pm

Closed today. Only loaded a few hundred dollars in the past 2 months. Had previously loaded about 2k. I had lots of swipes and only 2 bill pay. I thought I was taking it slow. Oh well. Good luck to those still open.

TheDapperDon Sep 4, 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06 (Post 21389149)
Closed today. Only loaded a few hundred dollars in the past 2 months. Had previously loaded about 2k. I had lots of swipes and only 2 bill pay. I thought I was taking it slow. Oh well. Good luck to those still open.

Were you loading multiple times before bill paying or swiping? How high was your balance before they shut you down?

dogbyte Sep 4, 2013 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06 (Post 21389149)

I was a proponent of the theory of loading under 5k and most likely your account will stay open. However, this does not seem to be the case as more than one person has reported being shutdown even after loading less than 5k. I think the more you load, there is greater chance of being shutdown, but there does not seem to be a floor for avoiding a shutdown. While others have suggested going all in within the first month, there is a chance they will shut you down mid cycle.

My account is still active. I'm midcycle of the 3rd month of having the account. I've loaded between 4.5k-5k each month. I loaded 5k this month. I've always had my balance at 0 before reloading again. I usually load 1-2k each time and then just do an ACH pull.

TheDapperDon Sep 4, 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by dogbyte (Post 21389206)
I was a proponent of the theory of loading under 5k and most likely your account will stay open. However, this does not seem to be the case as more than one person has reported being shutdown even after loading less than 5k. I think the more you load, there is greater chance of being shutdown, but there does not seem to be a floor for avoiding a shutdown. While others have suggested going all in within the first month, there is a chance they will shut you down mid cycle.

My account is still active. I'm midcycle of the 3rd month of having the account. I've loaded between 4.5k-5k each month. I loaded 5k this month. I've always had my balance at 0 before reloading again. I usually load 1-2k each time and then just do an ACH pull.

I think this is sustainable, but we'll see.

BenH Sep 4, 2013 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by dogbyte (Post 21389206)

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 21389260)
I think this is sustainable, but we'll see.

This is similar to my history and patterns, except I do bill pays and not ACH and my balance is not always at 0, but under $500.

smitty06 Sep 4, 2013 5:43 pm

I was loading 100-200 dollars at a time. I was never loading days in a row. I swiped my card many (>30 times). I did 2 large bill pays (1K). I have no idea what triggered the shutdown.

pier11 Sep 4, 2013 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06 (Post 21390110)
I have no idea what triggered the shutdown.

Low profit/revenue ratio?.. We are not as profitable for them as they dreamed.

Stiga9 Sep 4, 2013 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by pier11 (Post 21390954)
Low profit/revenue ratio?.. We are not as profitable for them as they dreamed.

Yeah but he's probably many times more profitable than most of us. He actually has swipes.

Nishant1 Sep 4, 2013 9:56 pm

GoBank is unpredictable compared to Bluebird which has clear rules and their system will not allow to deviate. Therefore most prefer Bluebird and only after those monthly limits are met, MVD & GB are considered as second available alternatives.

With fuel points now stopped and VR availability improved and limits increased, VR to MVD may appear more attractive for limited activity over VGC to GB.