Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 10, 16, 11:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...rd-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Old May 16, 13, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants View Post
Yes, I see it. That's sad... Cash load @ WM is free, they say...I wonder if the GC PIN trick works or not (like in the BB case)...I think I'll give it a shot today. If they are going to accept MO with the Mobile App, they still can be useful...

What's the word on loading GC Pin cards at WM?
Old May 16, 13, 9:02 pm

I was able to load today at Walmart. I also spoke with them and they said that they will still allow debit loads after May 30th at Walmart. Obviously we can no longer do it online.
Old May 16, 13, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by Corridor! View Post
I was able to load today at Walmart. I also spoke with them and they said that they will still allow debit loads after May 30th at Walmart. Obviously we can no longer do it online.
Was there a charge to load it? Did yoг do kiosk or Money Center?

Thanks.
Old May 17, 13, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Corridor! View Post
Nice! You beat me to it! I'm having unforeseen problems accessing cash, so I couldn't do as I planned. Can't churn until I get my problems fixed.

Thanks for the info!
Old May 17, 13, 12:07 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vagrants; May 17, 13 at 12:26 pm
Old May 17, 13, 12:24 pm

Debit GC (US Bank VISA) load @ WM confirmed both @MoneyCenter and @kiosk. @Kiosk pick "GreenDot" and navigate. My test transaction in both cases were <$100. And, it's free.
Quick heart attach warning: I loaded multiple $500 gcs this way (at the kiosk), but on the third gc load the receipt showed my GoBank balance as exactly the same as in the prior receipt. Like this:

Started with $50
Load 1: receipt showed $50 + $500 = $550 balance
Load 2: receipt showed $550 + $500 = $1050 balance
(so far so good)
Load 3: receipt showed $550 + $500 = $1050 balance
um, not so good.

I logged onto GoBank and only saw $1050. I called the gc company to find out the balance on each of my $500 gift cards. All were $0.

An hour later, I logged into GoBank and the balance was now $1550 and it correctly showed 3 $500 loads. Whew!
Old May 17, 13, 12:59 pm

Just tried to load Chase GC on Green Dot. First of all, both Money Center and kiosk want $3.74 for every load.

I tried to split the load of $996.26 between two $500 GC. Did not work - wanted to subtract $1,000 from the first card swiped (I was hoping for something similar to Charlie Victor Sierra registers - where it would subtract $500 off $1,007.90 charge). For some strange reason transaction was declined

An hour later went to Money Center - load $996.26, charged me $3.74 fee. Total due - $1,000. Asked cashier to charge $500 first, swiped the first card - enter PIN, approved. Total due - $500. Swiped the second card - enter PIN, flashes 'approved' for a second, spits out a small 'debit not approved call authorizer' receipt.

GCs show correct balance - $500 each, $0 on Green Dot.

Am I doing something wrong? Something with their system? My Green Dot is not working properly?

Last edited by Artemk; May 17, 13 at 6:00 pm
Old May 17, 13, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk View Post
Just tried to load Chase GC on Green Dot. First of all, both Money Center and kiosk want $3.74 for every load.

I tried to split the load of $996.26 between two $500 GC. Did not work - wanted to subtract $1,000 from the first card swiped (I was hoping for something similar to Charlie Victor Sierra registers - where it would subtract $500 off $1,007.90 charge). For some strange reason transaction was declined

An hour later went to Money Center - load $996.26, charged me $3.74 fee. Total due - $1,000. Asked cashier to charge $500 first, swiped the first card - enter PIN, approved. Total due - $500. Swiped the second card - enter PIN, flashes 'approved' for a second, spits out a small 'debit not approved call authorizer' receipt.

Фь I doin something wrong? Something with their system? My Green Dot is not working properly?
That's very strange. At the Kiosk, I just selected reload Greendot and there was no fee.
Old May 17, 13, 1:38 pm

Фь I doin something wrong? Something with their system? My Green Dot is not working properly?
It sounds like you are sending the fund to PrePaid rather than GoBank. If not, treating this GoBank like the BB may not be a good idea since people may encounter problems...with BB, all I heard was problems with MC GCs and Vanilla GCs (if charge was reversed or something like that for Vanilla).
Old May 17, 13, 1:42 pm

It sounds like you are sending the fund to PrePaid rather than GoBank.
Crap, I am a bit behind on Green Dot/ Go Bank thing... It is in fact Green Dot prepaid card.

Back to reading/ googling.
Old May 17, 13, 2:04 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler View Post
Quick heart attach warning: I loaded multiple $500 gcs this way (at the kiosk), but on the third gc load the receipt showed my GoBank balance as exactly the same as in the prior receipt. Like this:

Started with $50
(so far so good)
um, not so good.

I logged onto GoBank and only saw $1050. I called the gc company to find out the balance on each of my $500 gift cards. All were $0.

An hour later, I logged into GoBank and the balance was now $1550 and it correctly showed 3 $500 loads. Whew!
Don't overdo, FM. First, for some reasons, a kiosk does not like (and will suspend your activity), if you start to load #4. A manager would be required.

Second, I believe, that soon a GB would start to pay attention, why people load everyday around $1K+.
Old May 17, 13, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by jk2 View Post
Don't overdo, FM. First, for some reasons, a kiosk does not like (and will suspend your activity), if you start to load #4. A manager would be required.

Second, I believe, that soon a GB would start to pay attention, why people load everyday around $1K+.
I agree...I heard that GreenDot is like PP. Lots of unwritten rules and tyranny. I abuse them so very gently, so I haven't had a problem...but easy to get shutdown...
Old May 17, 13, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go

Started with $50
(so far so good)
um, not so good.

It actually only takes a few minutes for your balance to update correctly. I had the same reaction the first time this happened at a register, lurked around for 5 minutes and the balance had already updated. Keep your receipts!
Old May 17, 13, 7:52 pm

Was there a charge to load it? Did yoг do kiosk or Money Center?

Thanks.
No charge to load at Walmart. You can use either the kiosk or the money center. Your choice.
Old May 17, 13, 8:08 pm

Started with $50
(so far so good)
um, not so good.

A similar situation happened to me. I made two loads with in minutes of each other. When I checked the second load, the receipt still showed the same balance. I went to my truck and called the number on the back of the card. When I called the automated system it had the correct balance. WM's system must not be quick enough with fast loading.

When I made my last load that day the balance wasn't correct on the receipt. I then called and the balance wasn't correct via the phone. When I called back a couple minutes later the balance was correct.

Originally Posted by jk2 View Post

Do you think it's the amount of transactions or the amount being loaded in multiple transactions? I know I did 5 kiosk transactions in a short time frame. (Each load was $50) I just can't remember how many I did in a row without a pause. I paused due to the balances not showing correctly, so I can't remember the exact sequence.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: