Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

All things PAYPAL [2013-2014 Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sechs
Paypal MyCash $500 daily load limit resets after 12:00am EST
Paypal MyCash $4000 per calendar month load limit resets after 3:00am EST

An additional $4000 per month can be loaded using Greendot Moneypaks. See the Moneypak thread for issues with these. Limit purchases to no more than 2 x $500 at a time.

To get a live PayPal MyCash representative, call 1-855-721-5035, press 1 to all the voice prompts until it asks you for your PIN, and then press 0#, 0#, and 0#.

If you are getting error code 26 when loading MyCash to your account:
  1. Login to Paypal on a computer, not phone
  2. Go to settings (it is the gear)
  3. Choose selling tools on the left
  4. Scroll down to: Block payments -- Limit payments, add instructions, and more -- and choose update
  5. On the page "Payment Receiving Preferences" select the first radio button, "For the items not sold on eBay, Only allow payments from the users with confirmed address."
  6. Be sure that NO is chosen
  7. Save and you are done
Print Wikipost

All things PAYPAL [2013-2014 Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:53 pm

it is not money laundering because it is legit money but it is a very similar practice.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by shopper711
According to Merriam Webster dictionary, the definition of laundering is
"to transfer (as illegally obtained money or investments) through an outside party to conceal the true source."

Cite the evidence(s) to support your observation.
I don't think he is saying this is laundering but from paypal's perspective it would look like and I would agree! These things are supposed to be bought with cash (it's a different story that we buy with CC ) and who in the right mind would buy these with cash / load it to paypal /transfer to bank, instead of putting cash right in the bank !
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
So transfer from the PP account balance as "gift" are free? But if I want to pay a "gift" to someone via credit card, that gets charged 3%? I guess that makes sense.
Right, as long as you transfer a "gift" from your existing paypal balance or checking account it's free, since there's very little cost to PayPal. Credit Card transactions cost them dearly, so they charge you for it. Not sure why they charge for "purchases" using an existing PP balance... that's just greed.

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Where? The CVS stores I've visited treat all PP cards like GreenDot - only cash or debit w. pin.
My local Rite Aid lets me buy GreenDot reload cards on CC. And those load right into PayPal.

Last edited by julp; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:57 pm Reason: consolidation
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HY Diamod, MR Gold, PCR Plat
Will paypal issue 1099 for paypal cash load?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by flyfire
Will paypal issue 1099 for paypal cash load?
No (if it's a personal PP account.)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by julp
Right, as long as you transfer a "gift" from your existing paypal balance or checking account it's free, since there's very little cost to PayPal. Credit Card transactions cost them dearly, so they charge you for it. Not sure why they charge for "purchases" using an existing PP balance... that's just greed. :
Could it be because with purchases, i.e. Ebay etc. you get the purchase protection? If something goes wrong, PP refunds the buyers' money and goes after the seller? Kind of like insurance on the transaction and they are charging for that insurance as someone has to manually deal with disputes. Just a thought.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I know you are all talking about churning here, which is why PP is shutting you down (you're using prepaid cards to deposit the cash) but does the same apply for just transfers to yourself? I have Canadian and US accounts, 2 different emails, one linked to a bank in Canada, one to a bank in the US. My name is the same on both but different addresses. My last name is not a common one, like a Mary Smith type name that might not get noticed. I did it to be able to transfer money from Canada to my US bank without wire fees. I pay the US PP account from my Canadian PP account (funded by my Canadian bank account) then transfer the money out to my US bank. Are they going to shut me down for this? How many times can I get away with it? I am not talking huge amounts here, maybe around $2,000 or so at a time. If I leave the money in US PP for a period of time before transfering out, does that help?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:47 pm

i'm surprized they didn't shut you down the first time you transfered 2k via paypal. holding the money in PP will help slightly. but then again, if you made a mistake that doesn't trigger your account to get frozen right away, you could end up with money stuck there...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by killercut
i'm surprized they didn't shut you down the first time you transfered 2k via paypal. holding the money in PP will help slightly. but then again, if you made a mistake that doesn't trigger your account to get frozen right away, you could end up with money stuck there...
I've only done it once so far with a small amount ($250), as a test to see if there were any fees as that was my cunning plan to get around wire fees. I was planning to start transfering in lots of $2,000 or so maybe every 6 months and searched for this thread to see if there would be any problems. Seems like it's not going to be the answer from everything I have read here and I don't want my account shut down as I need it for other things.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:16 am

PP to lighten up

There is supposed to be a policy change at PayPal. They say they want to loosen up the reins on holding money when they con not verify accounts. I am not sure if this will also work when an account is frozen for not using per T&Cs?

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/21/tech...source=cnn_bin
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:41 am

Sounds like they are just trying to address some recent bad publicity. The scenarios described in the article show why it is a good idea to keep your paypal balance low. Don't keep anymore money there than you wouldn't mind not having access to for 180 days anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:01 am

That's for sure. PP is the low and slow manufacturer. You do not want to get caught up in one of their FRs. I have been using them for about 2 mths now and I only due about $1,000/mth and always leave a small balance. I use them for other buys on the net when I know I will get little to no points. I have been thin king about getting their debt card. I need to do a little more research though.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I don't think that PP is a world recognized abbreviation. If you can't even use Paypal as the thread topic, why bother?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
By mistake I got the prepaid paypal debit from cvs thinking I can load up on paypal. So the fee charged at purchase was 4.95 then they charged another 4.95 monthly plan fee next day. I immediately asked for a refund as it's crazy for them to charge $9.90 before I even start using the card.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Finkface
I've only done it once so far with a small amount ($250), as a test to see if there were any fees as that was my cunning plan to get around wire fees. I was planning to start transfering in lots of $2,000 or so maybe every 6 months and searched for this thread to see if there would be any problems. Seems like it's not going to be the answer from everything I have read here and I don't want my account shut down as I need it for other things.
From everything I've read I'd rather do more smaller transactions than a single big one. I have no hard data points for PayPal, but I do know with Greendot having less money in your account your less likely to trigger an account review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.