Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uncommonsensical
“My Vanilla Personal Reloadable Prepaid Debit Visa card”
https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com

FAQs: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/myvanilla/faq.html
T&C: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...Policy_ENG.pdf
Fees: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...RhFOmbp3hiKogJ

There isn't a bill pay function with MVD.

How do I load funds onto MVD? There are two primary ways to load funds onto your MyVanilla Card: 1) Direct Deposit (direct deposit all or part of your paycheck, social security, even your tax return refund right onto your MyVanilla Card); 2) At any Vanilla Reload Network retailer; just bring your Card and the amount you want to load onto your Card - Note: This can be either purchasing a Vanilla Reload card or possibly using a retailer with loading function on the cash register such as CVS. $3.95 fee applies to both methods.

CVS Credit Card Load Data Points:
Credit Cards used treated as a purchase:
FIA Fidelity Amex

Credit Cards used treated as a cash advance:
??

What is the load limit? You can load a maximum of $500.00 per day onto your Card, and there is a $2,500.00 total maximum deposit limit per day from all deposit sources (loads and ACH direct deposits). The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $400.00. The daily Cash Advance or "Over the Counter" limit at a bank is reported as $2,500.00/day. Some reports that this is actually / month. Maximum loaded amount on MVD card is $9,999.

If you can find Vanilla Reload cards that you can purchase with a credit card, max out by getting up to 3 registered MyVanilla Debit cards and you can load up to $2500 x 3 per day. And if you have a bank near you that will give you cash advances, you can take the full balance off each card for a $1.95 cent fee.
If you do not have Vanilla Reloads available near you, you want to find a bank that will allow you to cash out temporary cards. These are the ones you buy at CVS for $500 plus $3.95 fee and then cash them out en masse for a 50 cash advance fee apiece.
In Essence
Get new cards, spend some random amount and then get put in shutdown mode to spend off what is left, unless you utilize one old weird trick that prevents shutdown mode.

Liquidating a shut down account as of 3.31.2014
Various reports, and I can also confirm- If you receive the "invalid username or password" message when trying to access your account online, that's the indicator that you have been shut down. Check again for a day or so (just to make sure it wasn't an issue with their website). If still unable to access- you've been shut down.

If you don't want to call and talk to them, you can confirm yourself whether your account is still alive to liquidate by calling 855.686.9513. If you are able to hear your balance, you can liquidate- and you can liquidate quickly without any problem. I liquidated $8,200 over the weekend: 5k Saturday, the remainder Sunday (Walmart BillPay and MO).
Print Wikipost

My Vanilla debit

Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl
You shouldn't upload more than $8K/week and $10K/month per card. If you exceeded the monthly limit of $10K/month in December they will decline the transaction and you'll have to wait until January 1, 2014.
The yearly limit is $45K per card which is 4.5 month of fully loading and uploading, then cancel the card and get a new MVD.
Isn't it limited to 3 MVD cards per lifetime?
I thought that after you had 3 MVD cards you will never get a new one?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, WN CP, Marriott Gold
So another datapoint...

One of my 3 and both of my wife's cards (that I run for her) were shutdown sometime last week between Wednesday and Thursday. Noticed this late Thursday night when I tried logging into our accounts. Of course, this happened after loading around 6k on to my wife's cards Wed/Thursday.

Called MVD late Thursday night on my card, and was told it was in Spend Down mode and I wouldn't get access to my online account. I could use the card to spend the money, but I wouldn't be able to use it as debit or get cash back on it. I was able to access my account balance info over the phone though, so I tried a BP at WM on Friday AM and it went thru, then loaded additional 2k Friday night/Sat AM and CA'd it at bank.

My wife's cards on the other hand, no access online and no account info could be obtained via phone automation. Had her call Friday around Noon, and was told both accounts had been frozen to load/unload (all done via BP @ WM). Was told to fax DL and SSN card to them. Of course they haven't "received it yet" and after multiple follow up calls was told to fax to a different # for "department that can decide immediately instead of 10-14 business days" that hasn't accepted an incoming fax all night tonight (5 attempts). So have filed a complaint with CFPB and FDIC. Will post any updates.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Translation:
Your cards are in this new mysterious spend down mode where you can use the card as before but no online access.

Your wife are in the "know your customer' phase where you need to prove you are not a crook.

Originally Posted by AlloverMidAtlantictoNewEngland
So another datapoint...

One of my 3 and both of my wife's cards (that I run for her) were shutdown sometime last week between Wednesday and Thursday. Noticed this late Thursday night when I tried logging into our accounts. Of course, this happened after loading around 6k on to my wife's cards Wed/Thursday.

Called MVD late Thursday night on my card, and was told it was in Spend Down mode and I wouldn't get access to my online account. I could use the card to spend the money, but I wouldn't be able to use it as debit or get cash back on it. I was able to access my account balance info over the phone though, so I tried a BP at WM on Friday AM and it went thru, then loaded additional 2k Friday night/Sat AM and CA'd it at bank.

My wife's cards on the other hand, no access online and no account info could be obtained via phone automation. Had her call Friday around Noon, and was told both accounts had been frozen to load/unload (all done via BP @ WM). Was told to fax DL and SSN card to them. Of course they haven't "received it yet" and after multiple follow up calls was told to fax to a different # for "department that can decide immediately instead of 10-14 business days" that hasn't accepted an incoming fax all night tonight (5 attempts). So have filed a complaint with CFPB and FDIC. Will post any updates.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So another datapoint...

So even if they freeze your account like that you can still put it through as a cash advance??

Will probably do this today then, and just to make sure, just tell the bank teller to do $2 less than whatever the amount on the card is? Or does the $.50 also get included?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by healthnut
So even if they freeze your account like that you can still put it through as a cash advance??

Will probably do this today then, and just to make sure, just tell the bank teller to do $2 less than whatever the amount on the card is? Or does the $.50 also get included?
Just do CA minus $1.95 fee
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
So all of sudden I couldn't access my MVD card online anymore since yesterday morning. After numerous calls still no definite answer. The odd thing is that I was able to load one of the cards via vanillareload.com, and that was purely by accident. I usually leave the card alone when online access is blocked, until the situation was sorted out with Incomm.

I haven't tried CA or debit spend yet. From reading this thread, my card might be in that "mysterious phase".

If I am able to load to the card, it stands to reason I should be able to unload the card by CA or spend at WM, right?

Thanks
@ORD
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by @ORD
So all of sudden I couldn't access my MVD card online anymore since yesterday morning. After numerous calls still no definite answer. The odd thing is that I was able to load one of the cards via vanillareload.com, and that was purely by accident. I usually leave the card alone when online access is blocked, until the situation was sorted out with Incomm.

I haven't tried CA or debit spend yet. From reading this thread, my card might be in that "mysterious phase".

If I am able to load to the card, it stands to reason I should be able to unload the card by CA or spend at WM, right?

Thanks
@ORD
That has been my personal experience since last week. Loaded last time yesterday, will try WM this evening after work.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:40 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:11 pm
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:54 am

So another datapoint...

In a situation similar to your your wife's. No online access, no automated phone information. CS told me my card was flagged last week. However I loaded several VRs today a few minutes before walking into WM to get MOs. Transaction was declined. I now have >$2k in holding. I wouldn't be surprised to later have them request my SSN and drag out this process. Will update when progress is made.

Need to email or fax: Front and back of VR, entire receipt showing purchase and "a valid ID." No mention of SSN card. I was told 3-5 days for "compliance" to determine if they can release my account due to the "suspicious activity."

Datapoints:
Card was opened many months ago and I think I drained it via AP and never loaded any VRs. Loaded $1k earlier this month and successfully CA'd same day. Loaded $1k about a week ago and sucessfully CA'd a few days later. The hold was apparently put on the account after the 2nd CA.

So only 2 CA transactions triggered the hold.
Interesting to note that my other 2 MVDs are active. One of them has seen 1 CA (<$600) and 1 MO (around $2k) and the other has seen 1 CA (>$2k) and several MOs (total >$2k).
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by @ORD

Thanks
@ORD
My experience does not reflect this. I couldn't access acct online, I was able to load, but my transactions were declined. I wouldn't expect you to be able to unload.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kaw753
I received a letter yesterday from the FDIC. MVD provided them with the T&C sheet and a big highlight of what I had violated. The portion highlighted was something like "the company reserves the right to shutdown any account at anytime for any reason."

All I had done was load $4000 to the card and left it there for a few weeks. It took me 4 phone calls and a month's time to get anyone in the compliance department to look at why I was inactive. Apparently, the statement above in the T&C gives them the right to take your money at anytime, ignore constant phone calls, and hope that they let you unload at some future date.
They aren't taking your money - you are giving it to them to hold. And they have every right to close accounts or decline business from anyone for any reason... any business can do this. The problem would be only if they hold onto your funds for an unreasonable amount of time and refuse to give them back via any method. Putting accounts into "spend down" or other statuses while allowing you to CA or draw down otherwise is perfectly reasonable, as is requiring some documentation when activity patterns follow something that could indicate fraud (again, as long as the steps they're taking are reasonable).
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
My recommendation would be to also include your SSN and a copy of a utility bill (proof of current address). Otherwise you may end up with another round of doc submission, with it being not received / lost etc. Best just to lump it all and over submit. Remember to call them shortly after you submit to get them to confirm receipt. Don't simply trust them to have received it and to start processing.

Originally Posted by met152

Need to email or fax: Front and back of VR, entire receipt showing purchase and "a valid ID." No mention of SSN card. I was told 3-5 days for "compliance" to determine if they can release my account due to the "suspicious activity."
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:31 pm

FYI - I was able to log-in to my account today by going to MVD's homepage and hitting "forgot password". After resetting my password, I was able to log-in and see my available balance.

Yesterday was the first time that I was not able to log-in to my MVD account online.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by adadakis
FYI - I was able to log-in to my account today by going to MVD's homepage and hitting "forgot password". After resetting my password, I was able to log-in and see my available balance.

Yesterday was the first time that I was not able to log-in to my MVD account online.
They updated their database yesterday, which may be why you could not log in
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:58 pm

Although I was able to load my 'spend down' cards in the past, as of this afternoon I can't - the VR site now gives an error that the MVD card(s) being loaded are invalid (and say to check if it is a card partner, etc etc). Cards still show in spend down though and can check balance. Exactly what I'd expect to see if they had fixed the glitch to prevent these from being loaded, just a heads up...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.