Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uncommonsensical
“My Vanilla Personal Reloadable Prepaid Debit Visa card”
https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com

FAQs: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/myvanilla/faq.html
T&C: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...Policy_ENG.pdf
Fees: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...RhFOmbp3hiKogJ

There isn't a bill pay function with MVD.

How do I load funds onto MVD? There are two primary ways to load funds onto your MyVanilla Card: 1) Direct Deposit (direct deposit all or part of your paycheck, social security, even your tax return refund right onto your MyVanilla Card); 2) At any Vanilla Reload Network retailer; just bring your Card and the amount you want to load onto your Card - Note: This can be either purchasing a Vanilla Reload card or possibly using a retailer with loading function on the cash register such as CVS. $3.95 fee applies to both methods.

CVS Credit Card Load Data Points:
Credit Cards used treated as a purchase:
FIA Fidelity Amex

Credit Cards used treated as a cash advance:
??

What is the load limit? You can load a maximum of $500.00 per day onto your Card, and there is a $2,500.00 total maximum deposit limit per day from all deposit sources (loads and ACH direct deposits). The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $400.00. The daily Cash Advance or "Over the Counter" limit at a bank is reported as $2,500.00/day. Some reports that this is actually / month. Maximum loaded amount on MVD card is $9,999.

If you can find Vanilla Reload cards that you can purchase with a credit card, max out by getting up to 3 registered MyVanilla Debit cards and you can load up to $2500 x 3 per day. And if you have a bank near you that will give you cash advances, you can take the full balance off each card for a $1.95 cent fee.
If you do not have Vanilla Reloads available near you, you want to find a bank that will allow you to cash out temporary cards. These are the ones you buy at CVS for $500 plus $3.95 fee and then cash them out en masse for a 50 cash advance fee apiece.
In Essence
Get new cards, spend some random amount and then get put in shutdown mode to spend off what is left, unless you utilize one old weird trick that prevents shutdown mode.

Liquidating a shut down account as of 3.31.2014
Various reports, and I can also confirm- If you receive the "invalid username or password" message when trying to access your account online, that's the indicator that you have been shut down. Check again for a day or so (just to make sure it wasn't an issue with their website). If still unable to access- you've been shut down.

If you don't want to call and talk to them, you can confirm yourself whether your account is still alive to liquidate by calling 855.686.9513. If you are able to hear your balance, you can liquidate- and you can liquidate quickly without any problem. I liquidated $8,200 over the weekend: 5k Saturday, the remainder Sunday (Walmart BillPay and MO).
Print Wikipost

My Vanilla debit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYBanker
ATM-only can be a flag, but it would be far secondary to the sheer volume and type of this transaction. Frankly, teller activity might have gotten this flagged sooner (if the same tellers work regularly).
Generally speaking, yes. But It also very much depends how well your branches and the tellers know about you.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: Several dozen
That is a big 10-4 with BoA and me-to-me MOs. Risk closure sees risk there. Too bad risk closure didn't see risk when BoA bought countrywide and got nailed with all the millions in mortgage fraud settlement costs!

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
I hear what you are saying but I know a couple of others who ran into similar issues based on a teller thinking their activity was 'unusual'. They ended up in the same boat. I know one was with BoA, not sure on the other. In both cases it was the 'me to me' Money Orders that the bank took issue with. There must be some real risk to the banks to make them close these down so abruptly.

On a side note, I opened a business account at another bank. I consider this bank disposable as they are small and have very few branches. I got a call after a couple of weeks from one of their guys asking about the MOs. I gave him some vague (but not inaccurate) answer. He asked if I would be upset if they occasionally put a 3-5 day hold on my deposits. I told him it didn't matter to me as I plan to maintain a relatively high balance and he said we should be good. I've been depositing with tellers for them as their ATMs are very old school, they are inside my grocery store and there is never a line for a teller.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
Me to me MOs - how do they know who ordered the MO? No names are on them other than the recipients name, correct? About the only way I can see them discovering who the purchaser is, is if you bought the MO at the same bank you deposit them with. I don't think me to me makes much difference - it's simply the fact you are depositing MOs in the first place that raises red flags - at least if you do it in any quantity...
If you properly fill out the MO is has the buyers info on the front. I guessnyou could not fill that out but then the blank might be a red flag.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you properly fill out the MO is has the buyers info on the front. I guessnyou could not fill that out but then the blank might be a red flag.
I filled out all 3 spaces and they are all me to me. It really depends on how well the branches / tellers know about you and feel comfortable with your activities. That is the number 1 thing since the Mint day and it continues.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
.... After all, we are just laundering our own money! But they have to be able to come to such conclusion....
Not sure what you are doing but I am definitely not "laundering" anything. That term is used to signify a criminal activity. Not doing anything remotely close to illegal. All above board and completely legal from MileageUpdate.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:22 am

My vanilla debit

I think of it as churning my money. Laundering is a dirty word.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Good word. Laundering involves disguising the flow of new (dirty) money. What most posters here are doing is simply recycling their own money, not disguising income.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
So far no problems depositing at Chase, where I do not have a miles earning debit card, and then doing an ACH over to my other bank.

JudyJFLA
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
Oh brother

i need to get on the phone with someone so i can understand this all better (or take a class). Does the point guy have a video on it?

i so got my amex blue card, my ink bold card but can not (as you've all found to some extent) find a vanilla reload card. At first thought i had one but it was just a gift card. I wonder if i got the 5x points for that at the office depot where i bought it with my ink card??? who knows.

this is advanced stuff. i'm hanging in there by my finger tips.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by shadabing
i need to get on the phone with someone so i can understand this all better (or take a class). Does the point guy have a video on it?

i so got my amex blue card, my ink bold card but can not (as you've all found to some extent) find a vanilla reload card. At first thought i had one but it was just a gift card. I wonder if i got the 5x points for that at the office depot where i bought it with my ink card??? who knows.

this is advanced stuff. i'm hanging in there by my finger tips.
What is so hard? All purchases at OD with your Ink get 5%-is that hard?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
Not sure what you are doing but I am definitely not "laundering" anything. That term is used to signify a criminal activity. Not doing anything remotely close to illegal. All above board and completely legal from MileageUpdate.
Chill out.

The "laundering" being used here meaning it is the SAME money going in and out without any outside source - that is basically the essence of me to me.

Originally Posted by andyandy
Good word. Laundering involves disguising the flow of new (dirty) money. What most posters here are doing is simply recycling their own money, not disguising income.
You are not being dragged to the court to defend yourself on what you do.... regardless which word is being used.

Bottom line is, the bank has to be comfortable about your depositing the MOs and better yet, being able to see where the funding of MOs is coming from. The me to me essentially gives exactly just such info if they can easily paired with the purchases. I have found that depositing them to other banks that never sees the purchase side actually prove to be more problem-prone from own experiences and some others' (who experienced account closure for just depositing), not to mention the inconvenience of doing large amount of ACHs which tends to trigger some fraud alerts in my experiences.

Again, how well your branches know you seems to be the key. That goes right back to the comfort level the bank has when they see the me to me deposits.

All it takes is one branch / teller feels uncomfortable with you then the table would turn over you quicker than you could react.

Hence it is a treacherous water one must be very careful when wading in!

Last edited by Happy; Jan 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by member7777
What is so hard? All purchases at OD with your Ink get 5%-is that hard?
Eh... lot of details to this one. Not as easy as getting a BA visa and get 100K points.

If i can ask...

1)can i just use the ink bold to get gift cards at Office Depot and get 5X on buying that card alone. It's at least getting a like 5000 points for buy $1000 card. No?
2) vanilla re-load card (if i can find one) i put as much as i can up to the daily limit and then pay for mortgage or something. Only time i get points (meaning using am ex blue, ink bold, vanilla reload) is the 5x points for buying the re-load card?

thanks for helping us slower folks. Some of this IS rocket science. thank you.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:34 pm

I like vanilla ice cream

Last edited by compddd; Jan 9, 2013 at 7:01 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:46 pm

It tastes so good

Last edited by compddd; Jan 9, 2013 at 7:01 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:59 pm
Suspended

I was wondering if common sense would return to this thread.
Please take your questions and questionable comments to pm if you need further information.
A public service announcement made in the hope that we can communicate what is necessary in private, where it belongs.
edit
thank you

Last edited by member7777; Jan 9, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.