My Vanilla debit

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 14, 8:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: uncommonsensical
Wiki Link
“My Vanilla Personal Reloadable Prepaid Debit Visa card”
https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com

FAQs: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/myvanilla/faq.html
T&C: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...Policy_ENG.pdf
Fees: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...RhFOmbp3hiKogJ

There isn't a bill pay function with MVD.

How do I load funds onto MVD? There are two primary ways to load funds onto your MyVanilla Card: 1) Direct Deposit (direct deposit all or part of your paycheck, social security, even your tax return refund right onto your MyVanilla Card); 2) At any Vanilla Reload Network retailer; just bring your Card and the amount you want to load onto your Card - Note: This can be either purchasing a Vanilla Reload card or possibly using a retailer with loading function on the cash register such as CVS. $3.95 fee applies to both methods.

CVS Credit Card Load Data Points:
Credit Cards used treated as a purchase:
FIA Fidelity Amex

Credit Cards used treated as a cash advance:
??

What is the load limit? You can load a maximum of $500.00 per day onto your Card, and there is a $2,500.00 total maximum deposit limit per day from all deposit sources (loads and ACH direct deposits). The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $400.00. The daily Cash Advance or "Over the Counter" limit at a bank is reported as $2,500.00/day. Some reports that this is actually / month. Maximum loaded amount on MVD card is $9,999.

If you can find Vanilla Reload cards that you can purchase with a credit card, max out by getting up to 3 registered MyVanilla Debit cards and you can load up to $2500 x 3 per day. And if you have a bank near you that will give you cash advances, you can take the full balance off each card for a $1.95 cent fee.
If you do not have Vanilla Reloads available near you, you want to find a bank that will allow you to cash out temporary cards. These are the ones you buy at CVS for $500 plus $3.95 fee and then cash them out en masse for a 50 cash advance fee apiece.
In Essence
Get new cards, spend some random amount and then get put in shutdown mode to spend off what is left, unless you utilize one old weird trick that prevents shutdown mode.

Liquidating a shut down account as of 3.31.2014
Various reports, and I can also confirm- If you receive the "invalid username or password" message when trying to access your account online, that's the indicator that you have been shut down. Check again for a day or so (just to make sure it wasn't an issue with their website). If still unable to access- you've been shut down.

If you don't want to call and talk to them, you can confirm yourself whether your account is still alive to liquidate by calling 855.686.9513. If you are able to hear your balance, you can liquidate- and you can liquidate quickly without any problem. I liquidated $8,200 over the weekend: 5k Saturday, the remainder Sunday (Walmart BillPay and MO).
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 6, 13, 7:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
[reserved]

Last edited by NYBanker; Jan 6, 13 at 5:44 pm
Old Jan 6, 13, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker View Post
These cards only work up to $600 for pin-based transactions, so it really isn't worth it to use for a tax pmt. The $3.95 pmt fee plus the vr fee plus the MVD fee make the cost the about 1.4cpm, barring any purchase bonuses.
The tax payment services I'm familiar with don't ask for a PIN (web-based), so presumably the $3K daily limit applies, rather than the $600 per transaction limit, no? I have not tried this yet, but I'm mulling it over.
Old Jan 6, 13, 9:55 am

Just want to mention: there is no hard/fast rule as to when a bank can flag you for a SAR (suspicious activity report). Everyone throws around the $10k number; it really should be a $5k number, and the amount is not the only thing that applies. People who are legitimately laundering know about this limit, and do things like deposit $4000 at a time at 20 different banks to get $80,000 into the system.

Some interesting reads about true laundering start on page 26, but the whole document is a good quick read:

http://www.occ.treas.gov/topics/bank...ering-2002.pdf

Basic advice, what any/all of us are doing can look bad to a teller. Can't fault them for that if you get shut down--just make sure to keep your real banking separate from the shenanigans. ADK got shut down at one of his local branches because a new teller thought something smelled funny.
Old Jan 6, 13, 10:56 am

The pos limit on these cards is $600. So, the biggest MO you can buy is $599.30.

MOs work too for those who would rather avoid bank teller withdrawals.
the limit is $800. I have been buying MO around $7xx.xx. no problem so far.
Old Jan 6, 13, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool View Post
The tax payment services I'm familiar with don't ask for a PIN (web-based), so presumably the $3K daily limit applies, rather than the $600 per transaction limit, no? I have not tried this yet, but I'm mulling it over.
If a pin isn't required, then I think the $3k would apply.

Whereas there seems to be a small reliability issue with Bluebird billpay (who knows how much of the chatter is attributable to user error), I see very little risk using a MVD for a tax payment. Once the payment processing company has their approval code, unless you as cardholder were to subsequently object via MVD, the payment would be good.
Old Jan 6, 13, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by liw5215 View Post
the limit is $800. I have been buying MO around $7xx.xx. no problem so far.
Whoops. Yes, that is it. I was thinking of another leading ppd card.
Old Jan 6, 13, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Stubtify View Post
Just want to mention: there is no hard/fast rule as to when a bank can flag you for a SAR (suspicious activity report). Everyone throws around the $10k number; it really should be a $5k number, and the amount is not the only thing that applies. People who are legitimately laundering know about this limit, and do things like deposit $4000 at a time at 20 different banks to get $80,000 into the system.

Some interesting reads about true laundering start on page 26, but the whole document is a good quick read:

Basic advice, what any/all of us are doing can look bad to a teller. Can't fault them for that if you get shut down--just make sure to keep your real banking separate from the shenanigans. ADK got shut down at one of his local branches because a new teller thought something smelled funny.
May I ask what this means? Did the branch say not to come back again? What are the broader facts...Was he a depositor there? Was he going in daily for four-digit amounts?

It would be easy to trip a bank's flagging system if you wanted to.
Old Jan 6, 13, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May I ask what this means? Did the branch say not to come back again? What are the broader facts...Was he a depositor there? Was he going in daily for four-digit amounts?

It would be easy to trip a bank's flagging system if you wanted to.
Closure of all accounts?
Old Jan 6, 13, 11:40 am

Whoops. Yes, that is it. I was thinking of another leading ppd card.

too many PP cards. haha
Old Jan 6, 13, 12:09 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
$2,500.

You should read the full T&C before beginning to make sure you understand all the rules.

It says the fee for a teller advance is $1.95; they've been charging me $0.50. Presumably a system error.
I guess even if it costs $1.95 for the $2,500 cash advance, to me it would be worth it. Being able to drive 1 mile and get a cash advance vs. driving 15+ miles to Wal mart is a no brainer. I'm guessing everyone has their own opinions on what they want out of their miles and how they get them. Plus I'll be able to rotate between 3 different bank branches within a mile radius.
Old Jan 6, 13, 12:33 pm

My vanilla debit

I had a Wells Fargo account closed for depositing to many money orders. They didn't care too much when I explained to them there was no risk otheir part. Pretty much just told me it was against their rules and they don't want me as a customer.
Old Jan 6, 13, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas View Post
What is the limit for a cash advance on the MVD? Can you not do $9999?
$2,500.

You should read the full T&C before beginning to make sure you understand all the rules.

It says the fee for a teller advance is $1.95; they've been charging me $0.50. Presumably a system error.
Someone at Dan's reported cycling "large amounts" for months on these cards. I have personally cash advanced 3,000 at chase and then 2,500 at the local credit union the next day. Both showed up as PENDING for about three days on MVD site before going through with $0.50 fee each. I bought the card at CVS, registered it, signed and did both cash advances with temporary card (without my name on it). Teller at Chase just asked for my driver license. Teller at the CU first went to check with the manager saying she thought the card had to have the name on it, came back in a minute and said it will work fine.

Thanks for the heads up on Incomm freezing the accounts. I will plan on only loading these up just before I do the cash advance.
Old Jan 6, 13, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta:19987620
I had a Wells Fargo account closed for depositing to many money orders. They didn't care too much when I explained to them there was no risk otheir part. Pretty much just told me it was against their rules and they don't want me as a customer.
Care to give data points? Just saying "to (sic) many" isn't very helpful. How about dollar amount and frequency? Did you deposit more than 1 at a time etc etc?
Old Jan 6, 13, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta View Post
This is an important lesson. MOs, particularly non-bank MOs, are treated with suspicion by banks. No legitimate business in scale is conducted with these instruments. I'd far prefer to deposit $4,000 in cash than $4,000 in random money orders between $500 and $1,000 each.

Could you elaborate on how much (amount, quantity per deposit, frequency of deposits) you were doing?
Old Jan 6, 13, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Closure of all accounts?
Is that the answer...or a question?

Search this Thread