My Vanilla debit

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 14, 8:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: uncommonsensical
Wiki Link
“My Vanilla Personal Reloadable Prepaid Debit Visa card”
https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com

FAQs: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/myvanilla/faq.html
T&C: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...Policy_ENG.pdf
Fees: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...RhFOmbp3hiKogJ

There isn't a bill pay function with MVD.

How do I load funds onto MVD? There are two primary ways to load funds onto your MyVanilla Card: 1) Direct Deposit (direct deposit all or part of your paycheck, social security, even your tax return refund right onto your MyVanilla Card); 2) At any Vanilla Reload Network retailer; just bring your Card and the amount you want to load onto your Card - Note: This can be either purchasing a Vanilla Reload card or possibly using a retailer with loading function on the cash register such as CVS. $3.95 fee applies to both methods.

CVS Credit Card Load Data Points:
Credit Cards used treated as a purchase:
FIA Fidelity Amex

Credit Cards used treated as a cash advance:
??

What is the load limit? You can load a maximum of $500.00 per day onto your Card, and there is a $2,500.00 total maximum deposit limit per day from all deposit sources (loads and ACH direct deposits). The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $400.00. The daily Cash Advance or "Over the Counter" limit at a bank is reported as $2,500.00/day. Some reports that this is actually / month. Maximum loaded amount on MVD card is $9,999.

If you can find Vanilla Reload cards that you can purchase with a credit card, max out by getting up to 3 registered MyVanilla Debit cards and you can load up to $2500 x 3 per day. And if you have a bank near you that will give you cash advances, you can take the full balance off each card for a $1.95 cent fee.
If you do not have Vanilla Reloads available near you, you want to find a bank that will allow you to cash out temporary cards. These are the ones you buy at CVS for $500 plus $3.95 fee and then cash them out en masse for a 50 cash advance fee apiece.
In Essence
Get new cards, spend some random amount and then get put in shutdown mode to spend off what is left, unless you utilize one old weird trick that prevents shutdown mode.

Liquidating a shut down account as of 3.31.2014
Various reports, and I can also confirm- If you receive the "invalid username or password" message when trying to access your account online, that's the indicator that you have been shut down. Check again for a day or so (just to make sure it wasn't an issue with their website). If still unable to access- you've been shut down.

If you don't want to call and talk to them, you can confirm yourself whether your account is still alive to liquidate by calling 855.686.9513. If you are able to hear your balance, you can liquidate- and you can liquidate quickly without any problem. I liquidated $8,200 over the weekend: 5k Saturday, the remainder Sunday (Walmart BillPay and MO).
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 13, 4:04 pm

Programs: JGC,SFC, BestWestern DS, Choice D, HH G, Hyatt Dis, IHG S, Marriott G, Radisson G, Wyndham D, Sixt P
pay property tax with My vanilla Debit Card

Originally Posted by skizz View Post
I have the permanent version of this card and successfully used it to pay my county property taxes about a month ago.

It looks like this functions as a true debit card; I was charged only $3.95 by the county to use it to pay. However, MVD charged me 2 separate $0.50 debit transaction fees -- one for the actual tax payment and one for the convenience fee . So the total cost was $4.95, plus the cost of the VRs.

I've also used this card to buy money orders at Walmart. It costs $0.70 for the money order, plus another $0.50 transaction fee. In comparison, the ATM withdrawal fee is $1.95, plus whatever the ATM charges. It seems rather costly to liquidate funds from this card, compared to some other cards. IMO, the only advantage for this card is paying the $3.95 debit fee vs. a 2-3% credit card fee for certain transactions. For my purposes, Bluebird is better for just about everything else.
I tried to pay property tax with My vanilla Debit Card, but online tax realized My vanilla Debit Card as credit card and tried to charge me 2.1% + $5.95, so I did not proceed.

Do you have any tip as debit card transaction?
Old Jan 5, 13, 8:46 pm

Programs: Several dozen
AHEM "largely due to the stupidity of our Congress" is a politically incorrect statement. The thought police remind you that Congress is not stupid - it is just sanity challenged.

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
...Now we have a very hard time to get this back to our account due to the fraudulent tax return AND IRS astonishing weakness in Tax Refund process, paying out refunds in Prepaid Debit Cards (largely due to the stupidity of our Congress) and the super incompetence in handling the aftermath. ....
Old Jan 5, 13, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Global1Flyer View Post
I tried to pay property tax with My vanilla Debit Card, but online tax realized My vanilla Debit Card as credit card and tried to charge me 2.1% + $5.95, so I did not proceed.

Do you have any tip as debit card transaction?
I'm not sure if I can help much here. I do have the permanent version of the card with my name on it, as well as a PIN and all of my cardholder info filled out in the MyVanilla website. Perhaps it depends on the payment processor that their website is using

I've also received a few PMs asking about money orders. Personally, I've never bought large money orders, only around $350 or so to send actual payments. Other posters have reported being unable to buy above $500, to being up to buy up to ~$800. Maybe it depends on the location selling the MO.

as a PS, please also be aware that this card has a DORMANCY FEE of $3.95/month after no activity for 90 days. So yeah, definitely don't leave funds lying around on this card.
Old Jan 6, 13, 3:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DL172 View Post
This is a great way to get on the money-laundering watchlist. Cash-advances on prepaid cards, come on?

What a stupid idea.
What specific list are you referring to? Or, is this some general list?

Last edited by NYBanker; Jan 6, 13 at 4:38 am
Old Jan 6, 13, 4:36 am

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
[reserved]

Last edited by NYBanker; Jan 6, 13 at 5:42 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 6, 13, 4:38 am

The pos limit on these cards is $600. So, the biggest MO you can buy is $599.30.

MOs work too for those who would rather avoid bank teller withdrawals.
Old Jan 6, 13, 4:52 am

[reserved]

Last edited by NYBanker; Jan 6, 13 at 5:42 pm
Old Jan 6, 13, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
This would be enough to stop messing with IRS with a not-so-fool-proof payment method.

Let me tell you, dealing with IRS is absolutely a night mare. Someone filed a fraudulent tax return on DH's SSN. IRS actually caught it because we never ask refund check (all overpayments went to next year's estimate payment) but the frauster asked a few K's refund. It was caught. Yet, DH the victim had to file the affidavit Form 14039 and other documents to show he is he.

We mailed that in July, and again in Sept because IRS did not have any records of receiving it. Finally in Mid Nov IRS showed both packages were scanned in the system on Oct 23, with the July package received 2 days after our mailing and Sept package 3 days after our mailing.

We were given 12/20 as our earliest date to call back should we not hear anything from IRS (which withheld a $xxx refund from 2011 that we had it to apply for 2012 est tax payment.).

We haven't heard a blip still but I forgot the 12/20 date. Now Jan 15 for the last 2012 est payment is coming up, I guess we would have to call about where is our $xxx refund!

The mistake I made was overpaying IRS for 2011's est tax payment, not a lot but still overpayment. Now we have a very hard time to get this back to our account due to the fraudulent tax return AND IRS astonishing weakness in Tax Refund process, paying out refunds in Prepaid Debit Cards (largely due to the stupidity of our Congress) and the super incompetence in handling the aftermath.

I think paying local taxes such as property taxes and such is OK. Paying Federal Income Tax using this mechanism is risky.
Sorry to hear of your challenges with the service.

These cards only work up to $600 for pin-based transactions, so it really isn't worth it to use for a tax pmt. The $3.95 pmt fee plus the vr fee plus the MVD fee make the cost the about 1.4cpm, barring any purchase bonuses.
Old Jan 6, 13, 5:36 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
I just ordered my permanent card and am very interested to get this going. I think for me its more of a convenience thing. The closest walmart is 15 miles away where I have 3 different bank branches (different company's) all within 1 mile of my house. Worth it to pay the .50 cents. I am not planning to do it for every $500 but only once I get $2000 on the card. I can still load BB to pay my mortgage and auto loan using VRs.

Other than the fear of the bank submitting info on you for the cash advance is there another benefit to doing a money order at walmart that is much more point lucrative? I.e. you can do X amount of dollars at one time with a cheaper cost, etc. Interested in others opinions and experiences with both methods.
Old Jan 6, 13, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Dad to GO View Post
... is there another benefit to doing a money order at walmart that is much more point lucrative? I.e. you can do X amount of dollars at one time with a cheaper cost, etc. Interested in others opinions and experiences with both methods.
If pin based transactions with this card are limited to $600 then it sounds like money orders at walmart will actually be more expensive than going to a bank teller and getting one cash advance of $9999 (or whatever) for $0.50.
Old Jan 6, 13, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker View Post
I asked one particularly friendly (and cute) Chase teller what her limit was on cash advances. She said they must be under $10k (presumably to avoid the LCTR requirement). She said "some people will get a $5k or $7k advance" (though this wouldn't be possible on an MVD), adding, "it's no problem at all."
What is the limit for a cash advance on the MVD? Can you not do $9999?
Old Jan 6, 13, 7:20 am
Original Member

You make very good points NYBanker and thanks for the information. This is exactly what we all did with the Charter Bank gift cards before that deal got ended largely as a result of a Wall Street Journal article. The fees were less on the Charter One gift cards, though. I wonder if the risks are less if a person takes that cash and immediately deposits it into the bank that took the money off the card, if the amount of cash is very large. It is hard to know what to do with large piles of cash and it seems like the fees are more manageable if the cash advance is large.
Old Jan 6, 13, 7:40 am

Last edited by NYBanker; Jan 6, 13 at 5:44 pm
Old Jan 6, 13, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Andy2 View Post
You make very good points NYBanker and thanks for the information. This is exactly what we all did with the Charter Bank gift cards before that deal got ended largely as a result of a Wall Street Journal article. The fees were less on the Charter One gift cards, though. I wonder if the risks are less if a person takes that cash and immediately deposits it into the bank that took the money off the card, if the amount of cash is very large. It is hard to know what to do with large piles of cash and it seems like the fees are more manageable if the cash advance is large.
bingo
test

Last edited by member7777; Jan 15, 13 at 8:52 am
Old Jan 6, 13, 7:46 am

[reserved]

Last edited by NYBanker; Jan 6, 13 at 5:43 pm

Search this Thread