Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uncommonsensical
“My Vanilla Personal Reloadable Prepaid Debit Visa card”
https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com

FAQs: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/myvanilla/faq.html
T&C: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...Policy_ENG.pdf
Fees: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...RhFOmbp3hiKogJ

There isn't a bill pay function with MVD.

How do I load funds onto MVD? There are two primary ways to load funds onto your MyVanilla Card: 1) Direct Deposit (direct deposit all or part of your paycheck, social security, even your tax return refund right onto your MyVanilla Card); 2) At any Vanilla Reload Network retailer; just bring your Card and the amount you want to load onto your Card - Note: This can be either purchasing a Vanilla Reload card or possibly using a retailer with loading function on the cash register such as CVS. $3.95 fee applies to both methods.

CVS Credit Card Load Data Points:
Credit Cards used treated as a purchase:
FIA Fidelity Amex

Credit Cards used treated as a cash advance:
??

What is the load limit? You can load a maximum of $500.00 per day onto your Card, and there is a $2,500.00 total maximum deposit limit per day from all deposit sources (loads and ACH direct deposits). The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $400.00. The daily Cash Advance or "Over the Counter" limit at a bank is reported as $2,500.00/day. Some reports that this is actually / month. Maximum loaded amount on MVD card is $9,999.

If you can find Vanilla Reload cards that you can purchase with a credit card, max out by getting up to 3 registered MyVanilla Debit cards and you can load up to $2500 x 3 per day. And if you have a bank near you that will give you cash advances, you can take the full balance off each card for a $1.95 cent fee.
If you do not have Vanilla Reloads available near you, you want to find a bank that will allow you to cash out temporary cards. These are the ones you buy at CVS for $500 plus $3.95 fee and then cash them out en masse for a 50 cash advance fee apiece.
In Essence
Get new cards, spend some random amount and then get put in shutdown mode to spend off what is left, unless you utilize one old weird trick that prevents shutdown mode.

Liquidating a shut down account as of 3.31.2014
Various reports, and I can also confirm- If you receive the "invalid username or password" message when trying to access your account online, that's the indicator that you have been shut down. Check again for a day or so (just to make sure it wasn't an issue with their website). If still unable to access- you've been shut down.

If you don't want to call and talk to them, you can confirm yourself whether your account is still alive to liquidate by calling 855.686.9513. If you are able to hear your balance, you can liquidate- and you can liquidate quickly without any problem. I liquidated $8,200 over the weekend: 5k Saturday, the remainder Sunday (Walmart BillPay and MO).
Print Wikipost

My Vanilla debit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:54 pm

Account got put on hold. Now they're saying my card is getting down graded to an unregistered card and I will only be able to make purchases as a credit card. Am I going to be able to get a cash advance on this?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by nnugnotsle
Account got put on hold. Now they're saying my card is getting down graded to an unregistered card and I will only be able to make purchases as a credit card. Am I going to be able to get a cash advance on this?
Yes
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:07 pm

None of us know how the economics works. There is a separate thread on this where you can get lost in theories:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...who-loses.html
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Saw a similiar situation in the waning days of the mint. The card issuers hate on MS and try to push back on the folks offering MS opportunities. Why can't these greedy banker types just leave MS folk alone and just go back to gaming LIBOR rates, loansharking, money laundering and illegally forcelosing on houses?

Originally Posted by BenH
Thanks.

One other question. I see going through the last 10 or so pages of this thread the talk of a $45K yearly limit. I can't find this mentioned anywhere official. How is this known and what exactly is it a limit on?

Also, let me share a story with you all about my NetSpend card, since InComm issues both of these. I have been using my NS for only about 3 months. I loaded about 7K in VRs over the past couple months. Yesterday I found out that another poster who started at the same time as me had his account shut down. I logged on last night and found that my account was in a locked state.

I called this morning and told them the site instructed me to call in. I was told by the rep that my account was locked due to "credit card rewards program abuse." She was obviously reading off a script or whatever the screen said, and when I played dumb she could not really give me much information (other than their systems detected it).
The point here is - that InComm clearly knows, 100% what we are doing and they actually flag it as "Credit Card Rewards program abuse."

What is more interesting is that how does this affect InComm? Seemingly, they don't lose money with these accounts. In fact, they earn money on any balance in the accounts plus whatever occasional transaction fees we have. In the past, we have thought that they were shutting us down because our patterns looked like money laundering. Well, that is not the case. They know we aren't laundering, they know we are taking advantage of rewards - and they are trying to stop it.

Other than them being a partnership with various CC companies, why would they care what is going on here? Again, the fact that we have thousands of dollars at various times during the month - if even for a few days increases their holdings and balance sheet.

But - the most interesting thing of all was that I got her to unlock the account. I got a warning that my patterns should not continue, but other than that nothing was needed.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:31 pm

Timeline of my hold process.

Day 0 - account put on hold (I was not aware)
Day 4 - loaded multiple VRs consecutively and tried to MO. Transaction declined and then called to find out my account was on hold due to suspicious activity. Same day I faxed VR images, receipt and license and then called to confirm they were received.
Day 7 - called to check status and was told they sent the info to compliance (or was it "complaints" ? I couldn't tell) with a rush and a decision would take 24 hours.
Day 8 - called at about the 22 hour mark and they said to check back in a couple hours. Called back about 5 hours later and the account was unlocked and available for credit or debit purchases, but could not be loaded and online access wouldn't work because the card was unregistered.

Card has already been spent down via MO. Haven't tried to reload yet, but I may.
Interesting thing to note is that when the account was locked, the phone system didn't report my balance. When i called back in just prior to being told my account was unlocked, the automated system reported my balance before I hit "0" to talk to CS.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by BenH
But - the most interesting thing of all was that I got her to unlock the account. I got a warning that my patterns should not continue, but other than that nothing was needed.
I went through similar warnings last month. However, after a few more load/unload transactions, all my accounts were closed. Now waiting for refund checks.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:36 pm
wcj

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Saw a similiar situation in the waning days of the mint. The card issuers hate on MS and try to push back on the folks offering MS opportunities. Why can't these greedy banker types just leave MS folk alone and just go back to gaming LIBOR rates, loansharking, money laundering and illegally forcelosing on houses?
Cuz the house don't like the gamers gaming their game?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:44 pm

Speaking of costs - has anyone considered how much does it cost Incomm to have CSRs talking with us, locking/unlocking accounts, processing submitted documents to unlock and so on?
They are probably losing more on that than if they'd just leave flyertalk alone.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by wcj
Cuz the house don't like the gamers gaming their game?
First they offer and then don't like?

MVD situation today is similar to last days of WF pp

I think there are very few accounts open today, able to load / unload freely

disappear?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:06 am
xp0

Originally Posted by rdover1
Yes
Are you sure about that?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
I had another 'event' with my new MVD. This is my second one, the first one is closely watched.

2 days ago I loaded 2 VRs, no issues, account open. Last night I loaded 3 VRs....no online access but I do have phone axx. From now on I'll stick to $1k/load max.

Edit: My first card has been placed in spend down mode. ($1k loaded 3 days ago, $1k last night, spend down this morning)

Last edited by fjord; Jan 4, 2014 at 9:43 am
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:53 am

If you want proof, try it for yourself.

Originally Posted by xp0
Are you sure about that?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Mine is also in spend down mode, does it mean this card will be closed or is there a chance that it will be normal again?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:22 pm

I think I just heard the last nail get pounded into this coffin.

Loaded 2500 into MVD2 yesterday. Account closed when I tried to login in this morning. Loaded the other 2500 I was going to put into MVD2 today into MVD3 around 11 this morning, account closed by 2 LOL

They both have balance info when I call, so I assuming this is spend down mode?

Gave both of these accounts a break over the holidays, so no activity other than todays loads for the past 10 days.

Fun while it lasted. Seeing this go down and hearing about the new policies at WM making me think 2014 is gonna be a year of repentance lol
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
I think I just heard the last nail get pounded into this coffin.

Loaded 2500 into MVD2 yesterday. Account closed when I tried to login in this morning. Loaded the other 2500 I was going to put into MVD2 today into MVD3 around 11 this morning, account closed by 2 LOL

They both have balance info when I call, so I assuming this is spend down mode?

Gave both of these accounts a break over the holidays, so no activity other than todays loads for the past 10 days.

Fun while it lasted. Seeing this go down and hearing about the new policies at WM making me think 2014 is gonna be a year of repentance lol
Were these fresh cards, or had you done CA on them previously?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.