Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Chase Gift Cards:
GAME OVER

We’re sorry, but we no longer offer Chase Gift Cards.

We will continue to honor current Chase Gift Cards. If you have a Chase Gift Card, you may continue to use it until the funds are depleted or upon card expiration.
If your existing Chase Gift Card has been damaged, lost or stolen, you can redeem the balance or get a replacement Card by calling us at
1-866-466-0079, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Use that number if you have questions about your existing Chase Gift Card.

www.chasewebgiftpurchase.com/index.cfm - [No longer working]

https://www.chase.com/online/Checking/gift-card.htm/ [No longer working as of 9/20/13]

$500 max value per card

Can be used as debit
Call # on card to set pin

There are some limitations to using gift cards as opposed to debit cards, but these are functioning very well as debit cards. So please follow the number one rule of manufactured spend: DON"T CALL THE BANKS.
Print Wikipost

Chase Gift Cards [Ending: 9.22.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Andy2
Everything about Chase's decision to be in the direct gift card business was always bizarre, so I certainly respect their decision to get out of it. A bank makes money from gift cards on the float and on the fees. I bet they ran an analysis and determined that substantially all of the gift cards bought fee free over the Internet we're being cashed out within days or weeks, with almost none of these cards being purchased online by the unbanked masses. And the thought of the unbanked masses going into the Chase branches to buy these cards at a $4.95 fee is thought provoking. Most of them choose not to bank because they distrust banks, so they will simply buy gift cards at the grocery store or gas station. I do not mean this offensively, but a large portion of the unbanked masses are not the types that you really want in your branch standing next to your business customers that are making big cash deposits from the daily cash sales at the store. I realize that US Bank and even AMEX are trying to make money off of the unbanked masses, but they are not trying to do it primarily online or inviting them over to the house.
Of course not. You can only purchase Chase GCs with Chase CC.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:40 am

Everything about Chase's decision to be in the direct gift card business was always bizarre, so I certainly respect their decision to get out of it. A bank makes money from gift cards on the float and on the fees. I bet they ran an analysis and determined that substantially all of the gift cards bought fee free over the Internet we're being cashed out within days or weeks, with almost none of these cards being purchased online by the unbanked masses. And the thought of the unbanked masses going into the Chase branches to buy these cards at a $4.95 fee is thought provoking. Most of them choose not to bank because they distrust banks, so they will simply buy gift cards at the grocery store or gas station. I do not mean this offensively, but a large portion of the unbanked masses are not the types that you really want in your branch standing next to your business customers that are making big cash deposits from the daily cash sales at the store. I realize that US Bank and even AMEX are trying to make money off of the unbanked masses, but they are not trying to do it primarily online or inviting them over to the house.
Not just from the float, banks/gift card issuers/gift certificate issuers usually make money hand over fist off of normally "banked" people because most GCs are not used in full, they're often lost and forgotten. This is also why getting rebates is made to be a difficult process and why they prefer to give rebates now as small gift cards.

It looks like Chase didn't realize that the majority of fee-free cards they sold online would be cashed out in full, a real rarity as far as gift cards go.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Have the same September 22 message on my consolidated business checking and savings account statement that closed on August 30. Didn't even see it until I was catching up on this thread.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: Several dozen
This is sooo elitist. The unbanked masses really need to occupy the bank branches and the first class sections of airplanes where the kings of banking fly. There they could scream where's my bread and offer the kings of banking free haircuts, in the Bourbon style. Seems only fair that those most effected by the great banking meltdown have a chance to raise their pitchforks to salute the bankers. Or did you actually drink the Kool-Aid and buy the premise that bankers are too big to flail?

...And the thought of the unbanked masses going into the Chase branches to buy these cards at a $4.95 fee is thought provoking.... I do not mean this offensively, but a large portion of the unbanked masses are not the types that you really want in your branch standing next to your business customers that are making big cash deposits from the daily cash sales at the store. I realize that US Bank and even AMEX are trying to make money off of the unbanked masses, but they are not trying to do it primarily online or inviting them over to the house.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
There was an article in the WSJ the other day about Chase exiting business segments where it does not have a "dominant" position. The article noted Chase was exiting or did exit its student loan and commodity businesses. Maybe GC's fall into this general bucket of non-dominant segments. Who really knows. A MS loss either way.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:46 pm

I am not sure whether this is a common problem but I attempted to liquidate the accounts at the USPS. Cards were declined. Has anyone been able to purchase MO's from USPS?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
There was an article in the WSJ the other day about Chase exiting business segments where it does not have a "dominant" position. The article noted Chase was exiting or did exit its student loan and commodity businesses. Maybe GC's fall into this general bucket of non-dominant segments. Who really knows. A MS loss either way.
I'm assuming the leader in GCs is Bancorp/InComm?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by brettskyg
I am not sure whether this is a common problem but I attempted to liquidate the accounts at the USPS. Cards were declined. Has anyone been able to purchase MO's from USPS?
USPS codes MO purchases as cash advances. So it won't work. Only debit cards that support cash advances work at USPS and oftentimes any mileage earning capability will be lost due to the coding
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:23 pm

Loaded my GC's at a walmart kiosk for the first time Saturday. Was super easy and I just used a BB check to do a mobile deposit to my checking account using an iphone app. Going to maximize this while there's still time!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CubsGirl
Have the same September 22 message on my consolidated business checking and savings account statement that closed on August 30. Didn't even see it until I was catching up on this thread.
same here I never check any mesage on my statements. Unfortunately for me I didnt do my main purchase on 8/17 since I was away and didnt want them sitting around and someone walking off with them , or if they didnt come then calling up way after I should have to say they never came. So I reordered my main stash on yep, 8/23 so that I would be safe.Oh well it was a great gift from Chase while it lasted and I cant believe it lasted as long as it did
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
I'm assuming the leader in GCs is Bancorp/InComm?
Not sure really. I'm sure they are big. Maybe AMEX as well.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by jy1129
Loaded my GC's at a walmart kiosk for the first time Saturday. Was super easy and I just used a BB check to do a mobile deposit to my checking account using an iphone app. Going to maximize this while there's still time!
Why not save the checks while ACH is free?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by Happy
We will no longer sell gift cards.
Starting September 22, we will no longer sell gift cards. We apologize for any inconvenience.
If you have questions, please call the number on this statement. All terms and Conditions of your account remain the same.
Anybody thought that since this is being put on banking statements, that it's only referring to them not selling gift cards anymore *IN BRANCH*? I only say that, b/c the only reason the fee has been waived online for everyone is b/c they haven't been able to sell in-branch for a non-disclosed reason. So maybe they're just putting that on bank statements so even more people know that they will stop selling them in-branch all together? Here's to wishful thinking and online fee waivers going beyond Sept 22nd! And if not - all my cards are maxed
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Anybody thought that since this is being put on banking statements, that it's only referring to them not selling gift cards anymore *IN BRANCH*? I only say that, b/c the only reason the fee has been waived online for everyone is b/c they haven't been able to sell in-branch for a non-disclosed reason. So maybe they're just putting that on bank statements so even more people know that they will stop selling them in-branch all together? Here's to wishful thinking and online fee waivers going beyond Sept 22nd! And if not - all my cards are maxed
fingers crossed
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:00 pm

Lesson learned: good deals never last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.