Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Please read the wiki before posting a question.

UPDATE 01/17/15

BeFrugal: 1.5%
Big Crumbs: 0.9%
TopCashBack: 1.5%

For other cash back or airline portals, check here: http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/Cashb...erican+express

Public Service Announcement: Do NOT use fee-free codes if you want portal cashback / miles. CB/Miles will post and then be clawed back.

FAQ

Will it post as a cash advance (CA)?

Citi - Yes.

Cards from Chase, BoA, FIA, Barclay, AMEX, CapitalOne, US Bank, Discover, HSBC, etc., have posted as purchase. PNC Visa Cashbuilder - posts as purchase but does not earn CC rewards

Note: Some issuers (Discover, US Bank, etc.) will decline the authorization if it exceeds your CA limit. This does NOT mean it will post as CA. It simply means you need to lower the purchase amount below your CA limit for authorization, but it ultimately posts as a purchase.

How do I set PIN on AMEX Gift Cards and use as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc.
You cannot set PIN or use them as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc. You can only use them as credit where AMEX is accepted.

How do I cash out AMEX Gift Cards?
Use manufactured spend techniques (load RB, buy Visa/MC GCs, VRs, AP, AFT, etc.) or normal spend where AMEX is accepted.

Why buy AMEX Gift Cards then?
To reduce the cost of manufactured spend, to mask your manufactured spend (i.e unusual high spend at Target or CVS), earn additional cash back on spend, or meet minimum spend targets faster.

Next day shipping that isn't?
The next day shipping is from when they ship the cards to UPS, which can be as long as 10 days from the order submission if you order personalized cards (more recently this has been under a week). For next day shipping, you are notified late night (once your card finishes processing, see above) and the package arrive that same morning before 10:30AM in your area.

What is with the charge disappearing from my credit card?
Once the order is placed you will see a pending charge on your CC account. Quite often once the card ships this pending is removed but does not show as a charge. Don't panic (or celebrate) it will show up as a charge within a day or so.

Personalized GCs?
Either Biz or Personal GCs can be personalized with your name. This helps when shaky cashiers who demand to see your card are prevalent. These take approximately 4 biz days to arrive compared to the non personalized which arrives as quickly as the next day.

UPS Tracking?
If you logged in to your AMEX account when placing the order you can get tracking info by logging in to your AMEX account and clicking on cards > gift cards > order history > order details. Unfortunately tracking information may not appear until well after your order has shipped so it's best to sign up for UPS My Choice to get faster tracking info and reroute your package if needed. Since UPS may drop your package off at the door if you're not home, it will be useful to know when your package will arrive.

The portal terms indicate that coupon codes will invalidate cash back. Is this true?
Yes (as of July 2014)

What are the purchase limits? (Updated Dec 2014)
10K personal every 14 days
100K business every 14 days

Do declined orders count toward the purchase limits?
YMMV

Do fees and shipping count toward the purchase limits?
No

Why was my purchase declined by AMEX?
There are several possibilities:
- Your billing address does not match 100% with what the credit card company has on file. This could be anything from apt/suite/condo # on the wrong line to zip code requiring 9 digits instead of 5. If your first purchase does not go through, call your bank or login to your acct to verify that this matches what you used.
- You have gone over the $10k every 14 day limit on personal gift card purchase.
- Even if you are sure the first two are correct as you have ordered before on that card and it's been more than 14 days, you might still get declined. No one has any idea why.
- You placed a business order and you don't really have a business (at some point AMEX does a background check for a valid business) or you have exceeded the 14 day limit for business orders.

My order was declined but my credit card still shows a pending authorization. How long until this falls off and my credit line is freed up?
I typically takes 1 week for the pending authorization to fall off after a declined order.

Can I order from the business side using a personal card? Or does it need to be a business card?
You can use whatever credit card you want to pay for business or personal orders. About the only restriction is you can't use an AMEX GC to buy another AMEX GC.

How long will it take the portal to track my order and confirm the pending cash back or points?
For non-Cartera portals (TCB, BC, Befrugal, etc) your order will usually track within a day or two.
For Cartera portals (Barclay Reward Boost, Lucky Rewards, USAA, Alaska, Delta) it will take 3-4 weeks to track.

My orders are not tracking. How can I maximize the chances the portal will track my order properly?
Use a browser you do not normally use (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), reset all browser settings to defaults, clear all browser cookies, disable all browser add-ons, and close/re-start your browser before navigating to the portal and placing your order. Do NOT use promotional coupon codes. The vast majority of tracking issues result from use of coupon codes, a bad browser cookie, improperly configured browser settings, or add-ons that interfere with cookie tracking.
Print Wikipost

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
Still better off paying the $3.95 and getting 1.5% with no risk of clawback due to code use (yeah, I don't trust that we'll get CB with code use no matter what it says).
I wouldn't worry about clawback. Ebates is a fairly reputable company, still 1.5% comes out better in most cases. It would make sense to use if you have the ebates credit card and got the extra 3% back...
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:18 am

For the umpteenth time, do NOT use codes. Ebates specifically states ANY code will invalidate cash back:

Special Terms: Cash Back is not available when any promotional coupon code is used.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
For the umpteenth time, do NOT use codes. Ebates specifically states ANY code will invalidate cash back:
+1
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:51 pm

While I agree in this particular case; it can be very fruitful to try things despite the T&C. Plenty of times the T&C aren't ever enforced.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:20 pm

I understand this...this particular code was listed on the mobile app and it lists the cash back along side it. I believe that preempts the blanket ban on codes.

Last edited by jayfi1976; Dec 1, 2014 at 6:34 pm Reason: Add Pic
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by skibum3d
While I agree in this particular case; it can be very fruitful to try things despite the T&C. Plenty of times the T&C aren't ever enforced.
Nah, it's more fruitful to get paid. If you want to make an extra $3.95, just MS a little more.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:51 pm

Nah, it's more fruitful to get paid. If you want to make an extra $3.95, just MS a little more.
Err, perhaps you missed "I agree in this particular case"?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:42 pm

I went back several pages and didn't see this addressed:

My latest $5k order arrived yesterday, but UPS wouldn't leave it because it required a signature.

I have never had to provide a signature.

I have a UPS My Choice account but the only two delivery options are "leave with a neighbor" and "return to sender".

UPS suggests I contact the sender to have them relax the requirements.

This is really going to cause problems for me since I typically order once a week (every two weeks on my account, every two weeks on my wife's).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:56 pm

IME orders of 5K+ randomly require signature. If you have premium shipping just break up your 5K orders into 3K and 2K.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
IME orders of 5K+ randomly require signature. If you have premium shipping just break up your 5K orders into 3K and 2K.
I'll add that IME all business orders require a signature.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by skitch23
I'll add that IME all business orders require a signature.
Not true for me. I've had several $6K "business" orders not require signature. YMMV?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by fluffyCat
I went back several pages and didn't see this addressed:

My latest $5k order arrived yesterday, but UPS wouldn't leave it because it required a signature.

I have never had to provide a signature.

I have a UPS My Choice account but the only two delivery options are "leave with a neighbor" and "return to sender".

UPS suggests I contact the sender to have them relax the requirements.

This is really going to cause problems for me since I typically order once a week (every two weeks on my account, every two weeks on my wife's).
Sometimes they require signature on 5k or 6K orders, sometimes they do not.

You also have the option in UPS My Choice of holding the envelopes at the local UPS for up to 10 days, commonly referred to as a "vacation hold" until you want them delivered, or you can go to your local UPS and pick them up.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by worldtravels
Sometimes they require signature on 5k or 6K orders, sometimes they do not.

You also have the option in UPS My Choice of holding the envelopes at the local UPS for up to 10 days, commonly referred to as a "vacation hold" until you want them delivered, or you can go to your local UPS and pick them up.
When I log in to UPS My Choice, there are only two delivery options: Leave with a neighbor, or return sender. The other options such as deliver to a different address, or hold for will call, are not available. I even chatted with their customer support.

It is intersting that they (AMEX) won't let me change the delivery address or use a will call, but they will let me deliver it to a random neighbor.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by fluffyCat
When I log in to UPS My Choice, there are only two delivery options: Leave with a neighbor, or return sender. The other options such as deliver to a different address, or hold for will call, are not available. I even chatted with their customer support.

It is intersting that they (AMEX) won't let me change the delivery address or use a will call, but they will let me deliver it to a random neighbor.
Go to UPS My Choice preferences, then edit vacation settings. You can change the settings at any time.

Have done it both ways, had them deliver at a later date. I also have picked up at my local UPS after having them hold it.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:11 pm

People that MS this way, you guys never have clerks ask to physically see the card you are loading from? I've always dealt with clerks that want to see the card. I kind of feel like it'd be more suspicious looking not letting them see them and reading off the multiple 4-digit security codes to them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.