Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Please read the wiki before posting a question.

UPDATE 01/17/15

BeFrugal: 1.5%
Big Crumbs: 0.9%
TopCashBack: 1.5%

For other cash back or airline portals, check here: http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/Cashb...erican+express

Public Service Announcement: Do NOT use fee-free codes if you want portal cashback / miles. CB/Miles will post and then be clawed back.

FAQ

Will it post as a cash advance (CA)?

Citi - Yes.

Cards from Chase, BoA, FIA, Barclay, AMEX, CapitalOne, US Bank, Discover, HSBC, etc., have posted as purchase. PNC Visa Cashbuilder - posts as purchase but does not earn CC rewards

Note: Some issuers (Discover, US Bank, etc.) will decline the authorization if it exceeds your CA limit. This does NOT mean it will post as CA. It simply means you need to lower the purchase amount below your CA limit for authorization, but it ultimately posts as a purchase.

How do I set PIN on AMEX Gift Cards and use as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc.
You cannot set PIN or use them as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc. You can only use them as credit where AMEX is accepted.

How do I cash out AMEX Gift Cards?
Use manufactured spend techniques (load RB, buy Visa/MC GCs, VRs, AP, AFT, etc.) or normal spend where AMEX is accepted.

Why buy AMEX Gift Cards then?
To reduce the cost of manufactured spend, to mask your manufactured spend (i.e unusual high spend at Target or CVS), earn additional cash back on spend, or meet minimum spend targets faster.

Next day shipping that isn't?
The next day shipping is from when they ship the cards to UPS, which can be as long as 10 days from the order submission if you order personalized cards (more recently this has been under a week). For next day shipping, you are notified late night (once your card finishes processing, see above) and the package arrive that same morning before 10:30AM in your area.

What is with the charge disappearing from my credit card?
Once the order is placed you will see a pending charge on your CC account. Quite often once the card ships this pending is removed but does not show as a charge. Don't panic (or celebrate) it will show up as a charge within a day or so.

Personalized GCs?
Either Biz or Personal GCs can be personalized with your name. This helps when shaky cashiers who demand to see your card are prevalent. These take approximately 4 biz days to arrive compared to the non personalized which arrives as quickly as the next day.

UPS Tracking?
If you logged in to your AMEX account when placing the order you can get tracking info by logging in to your AMEX account and clicking on cards > gift cards > order history > order details. Unfortunately tracking information may not appear until well after your order has shipped so it's best to sign up for UPS My Choice to get faster tracking info and reroute your package if needed. Since UPS may drop your package off at the door if you're not home, it will be useful to know when your package will arrive.

The portal terms indicate that coupon codes will invalidate cash back. Is this true?
Yes (as of July 2014)

What are the purchase limits? (Updated Dec 2014)
10K personal every 14 days
100K business every 14 days

Do declined orders count toward the purchase limits?
YMMV

Do fees and shipping count toward the purchase limits?
No

Why was my purchase declined by AMEX?
There are several possibilities:
- Your billing address does not match 100% with what the credit card company has on file. This could be anything from apt/suite/condo # on the wrong line to zip code requiring 9 digits instead of 5. If your first purchase does not go through, call your bank or login to your acct to verify that this matches what you used.
- You have gone over the $10k every 14 day limit on personal gift card purchase.
- Even if you are sure the first two are correct as you have ordered before on that card and it's been more than 14 days, you might still get declined. No one has any idea why.
- You placed a business order and you don't really have a business (at some point AMEX does a background check for a valid business) or you have exceeded the 14 day limit for business orders.

My order was declined but my credit card still shows a pending authorization. How long until this falls off and my credit line is freed up?
I typically takes 1 week for the pending authorization to fall off after a declined order.

Can I order from the business side using a personal card? Or does it need to be a business card?
You can use whatever credit card you want to pay for business or personal orders. About the only restriction is you can't use an AMEX GC to buy another AMEX GC.

How long will it take the portal to track my order and confirm the pending cash back or points?
For non-Cartera portals (TCB, BC, Befrugal, etc) your order will usually track within a day or two.
For Cartera portals (Barclay Reward Boost, Lucky Rewards, USAA, Alaska, Delta) it will take 3-4 weeks to track.

My orders are not tracking. How can I maximize the chances the portal will track my order properly?
Use a browser you do not normally use (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), reset all browser settings to defaults, clear all browser cookies, disable all browser add-ons, and close/re-start your browser before navigating to the portal and placing your order. Do NOT use promotional coupon codes. The vast majority of tracking issues result from use of coupon codes, a bad browser cookie, improperly configured browser settings, or add-ons that interfere with cookie tracking.
Print Wikipost

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
You're going to need to put on your thinking cap, e.g. buy VGCs > buy MOs for exact amount.
I don't want to buy VGC since they have a fee associated with them along with the county fees which are a hefty 3.5%.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:57 pm

Facepalm. I did most of the thinking for you. If you can figure out the rest you can come out ahead by 1-2% (CC Rewards) + 2.75% (BeFrugal CB) - AMEX GC Fees - Visa GC Fees - MO Fees.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:06 pm

Checks are so last century. Why not just mail them the VGCs?

(Be sure to trim any partial payment down fractionally, i.e. send them 60% of a card if you only owe $300. )
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by mbaker4096
Checks are so last century. Why not just mail them the VGCs?

(Be sure to trim any partial payment down fractionally, i.e. send them 60% of a card if you only owe $300. )
Literally burst out laughing. Thank you.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:50 am

If I close my Amex exec. plat business card, will I still be able to order the Amex GC under my business account? Right now when I order them, I log into my business account online, and that is where the premium protection plan shows up associated with that account. If I close the credit card, how will that work? There won't be an account to log into? Thanks for any insight.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: AA,UA,BA,SPG,IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, UR, MR
Originally Posted by adela77
If I close my Amex exec. plat business card, will I still be able to order the Amex GC under my business account? Right now when I order them, I log into my business account online, and that is where the premium protection plan shows up associated with that account. If I close the credit card, how will that work? There won't be an account to log into? Thanks for any insight.
Do you have another AMEX card? If so, you can register it for online use while logged into your current business account and you will then have two cards associated with that account. When you then cancel your plat. card you will still have the account, but it will now be associated with your other AMEX card. I recently done this on my wife's account when her AMEX Business PRG's annual fee came due. From the home page you go to "more account options" (lower left, I believe) then in the popup box there will be an option to register cards for online access. And, Yes, the free one year premium shipping plan stayed intact after making these changes.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:48 am

Thanks, I have other Amex cards but they are not business, they are personal cards and they are already registered online under a personal login.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Thanks, I have other Amex cards but they are not business, they are personal cards and they are already registered online under a personal login.
This is the same situation many of us have. I too would love to have personal AMEX cards associated with my business login which is tied to my bus. SPG Amex. Has anyone been able to use a Amex biz login to add other non-biz Amex cards to?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
This is the same situation many of us have. I too would love to have personal AMEX cards associated with my business login which is tied to my bus. SPG Amex. Has anyone been able to use a Amex biz login to add other non-biz Amex cards to?
I added a Hilton Personal AMEX to my wife's account, which was an AMEX Business PRG. She has had several different AMEX cards over the last few years, most associated with the same login ID. The first card she had when she established the login id was a personal SPG, so that might be a difference. As she gets new Amex cards, I simply add it to that login id and remove them when and if she cancels. It's been a mix of personal and business cards, so I don't believe it matters. That's been my experience anyway.

Last edited by jhuck; Aug 15, 2014 at 8:55 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:54 am

You can try by logging into a personal acct. and removing card from online access. Then log into business acct. and attempt to add that card to online access. If it won't work, shouldn't be any harm done. Simply log back into personal and add it back to online access.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by jhuck
You can try by logging into a personal acct. and removing card from online access. Then log into business acct. and attempt to add that card to online access. If it won't work, shouldn't be any harm done. Simply log back into personal and add it back to online access.
This worked for me as we had originally registered Hilton pers. AMEX under a different login, then when we realized our year of amex free shipping would go away with the PRG gold, we unregistered Hilton amex from that login and added it to same login as PRG. Then cancelled PRG couple months ago. Free shipping still there
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Registering Amex Gift Cards for Online usage

Does any one know if the amex gift cards can be registered online for online usuage or do we have to call into the 800 number on the back of the gift card to register it?

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 141park
Does any one know if the amex gift cards can be registered online for online usuage or do we have to call into the 800 number on the back of the gift card to register it?

Thanks for the help.
Have to call
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:37 am

Has anyone ever successfully ordered AGC with AFT? I just tried it and got declined.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:49 am

Why would you even want that? I can't imagine that being easy to continuously perform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.