Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Kiva to manufacture spend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by Rinzler
Here's a tip. Don't lend to anyone in Africa. They have the highest default rate. I think a lot of people over there use it as a scam to get free money without the intention of ever paying it back.
It seems irresponsible to make such a broad statement. There are plenty of lenders in Africa with very high Kiva ratings. Also, the purpose of Kiva is to give a chance to people who otherwise wouldnt qualify for traditional credit. There is risk but you can check the lenders rating and decide whether you want to support the borrower. Somethings effect repayments that cannot be helped like the typhoon in the Philipines or the Ebola crisis in Guinea and Sierra Leone. This may not convince you to lend again to any of the many countries that make up the continent of Africa, but I would like to recommend that others do their own research.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mikex163
I keep using it. Used it to MS the entire $1500 on my Discover card 5% 4Q cashback - I do this every year.
Also use it sometimes to complete minimum spendings for new cards (like, I'm missing $60 bucks, just make 3 loans and I'm done with it).
$12k lent over time (5+ years), less than $30 lost in defaults and currency exchange losses in all that time (Discover pays me $75 every year on Kiva loans, so profit overall).
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:20 pm

anyone still does kiva? I can hardly find rent info on it from MS bloggers. Any tips for starter?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by runb4fun
anyone still does kiva? I can hardly find rent info on it from MS bloggers. Any tips for starter?
Blogs only talk about things with affiliate links.
Kiva does not pay bloggers so they dont write about it.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:34 am

Still do it. The strength of the dollar has been making me losing some cash lately though. But overall still at a profit, even without counting the points. It's a shame that Discover stopped having "online purchases" as a category for the 4rd quarter.
810 loans and counting.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: Several dozen
+1^

With all the recent Chase offers to lend me money at 0% for a year with only a 2% cash advance fee, Kiva could yield up to a 4% tax free RoI.

Originally Posted by Ayase
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: Several dozen
BTW, some regions are much better risks than others as are some categories of loans and borrowers. Have found collectives of women to be good risks, generally speaking.

Originally Posted by Ayase

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Sep 21, 2016 at 7:46 am
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by runb4fun
Frequent Miler talks about Kiva on his blog, and he makes loans himself. There is info on his blog.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by onthego15
Frequent Miler talks about Kiva on his blog, and he makes loans himself. There is info on his blog.
And Inside Flyer has a group on Kive... feel free to join them if you want!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:31 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by cysyuen
And Inside Flyer has a group on Kive... feel free to join them if you want!
Or join the FlyerTalk group.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:08 pm

Do FTers Use Microlending for MS.

Just curious: do flyertalkers use any other microlenders for MS? Seems like no, but there are so many. (Here's a partial list meant for small businesses, so scroll down to skip the narrative for people who want to take out the loans.) I know it's a lot of work to figure out of an opportunity is going to be reliable, so before duplicating anything I wanted to ask.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Veiled
Just curious: do flyertalkers use any other microlenders for MS? Seems like no, but there are so many. (Here's a partial list meant for small businesses, so scroll down to skip the narrative for people who want to take out the loans.) I know it's a lot of work to figure out of an opportunity is going to be reliable, so before duplicating anything I wanted to ask.
I've looked into them, but none really seem anywhere as profitable (economically) or as decent (morally) as Kiva. They're either barely used, or really sketchy, or frankly not worth the risk or hassle. With Kiva, at least I know that the organization is upstanding, and they're not gonna run away with a thousand dollars I have deposited. I might lose 1, 2, 10% to lenders -- fingers crossed I don't of course -- but if so, I'll sleep better at night knowing somebody in the Congo was not able to pay back my loan, than knowing some scammer on a website took it for kicks. I see potential losses, and the risk involved, as the (small) "charity" aspect.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Is there any default data on these loans somewhere?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
Is there any default data on these loans somewhere?
Kiva publishes their database, although a lot is aggregated.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:11 pm

Here's my stats:
Started in Dec 2015.
Amount Lent: $9500
Amount Defaulted: $1.98
Amount of Currency Rate Loss: $0.21
Total losses: $2.19
$2.19 / $9500 = 0.0002305263158 or 0.023%.

US inflation for the same time period was 5.51%.

So, I've earned ~33,000 UR points for $2.19.

DO BE CAREFUL when choosing who you lend to. AVOID US loans. As I've posted elsewhere, credit is easier to get in the USA than buying beer. If traditional and even non-traditional lenders aren't willing to fund someone, you shouldn't either if you expect to get repaid. DO look at the lending partner's credentials. In general, I only lend to partners with 3* or better, 0.3% or less defaults.

My one and only default was a loan I kind of knew didn't stand a chance. Very high $ loan being taken out in a very poor country. I bought into it because I wanted to see them succeed whilst knowing they likely weren't going to be able to repay. Even so, $2.19 for 33k UR points. Find me a better deal out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.