Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by DL172
Most important advice. A Manager told me in one of my harvesting locations "Incomm doesn't allow CCs".

Everyone, please resist the urge to bring any attention to yourself or the VRs.
Also: sun, don't rise; tides, don't come in; wind, don't blow.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Happy
It takes at least an hour or two before a newly purchased AMEX GC becomes activated. This is a built in mechanism to prevent fraud.
Interesting. I tried to load my Target Amex right after buying an Amex gc today. Load wouldn't complete and the cashier said "new policy cant use gc to load any more" I was bummed, but now see it might just be activation issue, so will try again tomorrow. Fingers -and toes - crossed...
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
Interesting. I tried to load my Target Amex right after buying an Amex gc today. Load wouldn't complete and the cashier said "new policy cant use gc to load any more" I was bummed, but now see it might just be activation issue, so will try again tomorrow. Fingers -and toes - crossed...
maybe but many people are reporting that Amex GCs don't work for loading the Amex Target card. I can't confirm that since I have another week before I can load again, but Visa & MC GCs as well as any CCs seem to be working for people.

Last edited by michael160; Dec 9, 2012 at 5:07 am
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:58 am

Working now!!

IT IS WORKING NOW!!!^^^

I just loaded my VRs into BB successfully. Bought them yesterday at CVS using prepaid VISA. Less than 24 hrs though.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:07 am

Saturday afternoon I bought 2 at a CVS at the same time. Last night I loaded the first one with no problems at all. The second one came up with the Card is Deactivated (4002) error.

So I called Bluebird, and they told me there is a software glitch effecting 100% of all CVS cards purchased Saturday, and to wait 24 hours. I mentioned the first one I bought worked just fine, but Bluebird couldn't answer why (and I quickly let it go.) I tried again this morning, still deactivated, and plan to try again this afternoon (or later this morning.)
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ngupta
IT IS WORKING NOW!!!^^^

I just loaded my VRs into BB successfully. Bought them yesterday at CVS using prepaid VISA. Less than 24 hrs though.
Thanks. I will try mine shortly.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by ngupta
IT IS WORKING NOW!!!^^^

Did they fail yesterday? (Mine is still failing)
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by JoeJetplane
Did they fail yesterday? (Mine is still failing)
Mine was purchased at 2:00 PM EST and all day yesterday it failed to load into BB. This morning it did work. So, I would guess it is about how many hours do you have WAIT since you bought them is the KEY.

In any normal business, most of these updates happen as nightly batch load but since you still have issues with your VRs, I tend to manipulate X hours from the time it was purchased. Again who knows.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:04 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Still no luck

My VR cards purchased at CVS Saturday afternoon at 1pm are still getting the "card is deactivated" error at 9am Sunday.

guess I need to wait the full 24 hours...

Anita
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: DL, UA, HHonors, SPG
I bought mine at 3pm CDT yesterday, and got the deactivation message yesterday. Since I tried loading it multiple times, and getting the error message, thinking I was inputting the account number or pin number wrong, i was a little worried that the card really would become deactivated, but tried it again this morning and it worked. So glad, as its snowing here, and I wasn't going to brave the slippery roads to go back to the store to try to get it reactivated or replaced if it didn't work today.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by farwest101
Keep us posted.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by akp
My VR cards purchased at CVS Saturday afternoon at 1pm are still getting the "card is deactivated" error at 9am Sunday.

guess I need to wait the full 24 hours...

Anita
I don't think 24 hours of waiting has anything to do with it. "24 hours" was more of a promise that they would work within 24 hours, not that you need to wait 24.

My second batch from yesterday (which got the 24 hour notice) worked this morning in far less than 24 hours from purchase.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by metoo
I am short $100 after my 5k limit for the month. Need to make mortgage payment next month while traveling so need to have money available for Pay Bill.
Gotcha. I've made several split payments on various non-CC bills, with a few hundred coming from BB via check to the payee and the balance via normal bill-pay from my bank.

For just $100, your approach makes sense to me.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Checks slow

So, I live in a small town and there are a few bills I pay each month by check, one of them being my mortgage. Not sure if it is just because I live in a small town or if anyone else is having trouble with this, but the checks are consistently 3-5 business days later than when Bluebird says they should arrive. So, they are getting there and, since this is a new product, I was sending payments way ahead of time - leading to no trouble for me for mortgage, taxes, payment, etc. Anyone else having issues with checks arriving way after arrival date?

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
You can add as much as $10,000 per month to the account, with a limit of $1,000 in deposits in any one day.

Even if you don't go to a office supply store to reload with Vanilla cards, as long as you can find vanilla cards to purchase, this could be lucrative. Just a thought...right now, I do bill pay to pay my mortgage..it always has to come from a check, but being able to load this with a vanilla card, then cut a check for mortgage/rent with hardly any fees (just the vanilla card fee), this could be of awesome use.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:19 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I don't think 24 hours of waiting has anything to do with it. "24 hours" was more of a promise that they would work within 24 hours, not that you need to wait 24.

My second batch from yesterday (which got the 24 hour notice) worked this morning in far less than 24 hours from purchase.
The card I bought from CVS earlier loaded right away. It seems the issue has been fixed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.