Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I think the reloads are on the way. Last night, I spotted the elusive up to $500 Vanilla MC GC at my neighborhood WM. Today at my super WM, I found a bunch of the big dollar Visa GCs. Up till last night, I'd never seen anything loadable past $200 there. So they're starting to trickle in. But the big question is...will they take CC for the reloads, or will they go the Walgreens route: CC for the GC, cash for the reload. Sure hope it's the former!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:03 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by zanzibar
This guy probably has more readers than any of the popular frequent flyer bloggers:

http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/frequ...w-opportunity/

If this thing is shut down before I even get my Ink card (applied almost two weeks ago and still waiting), I might as well buy a bottle of Scotch as my first purchase on the new Ink card and celebrate hours of time wastage.
How much time could you possibly have wasted? I have spent very little time getting the Bluebird card and applying for Chase Ink. Even including my phone call with Chase, well under 1 hour total.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: All main US FF programs basic level
Including learning about this whole concept essentially from scratch two weeks ago, differentiating between vanilla reload and vanilla, business charge card versus business credit card, two Office Depot scouting trips, Amex prepaid versus Bluebird prepaid study, applying for Bluebird prepaid and Amex prepaid online rather than at a store, trying to figure out how to pay my rent with Bluebird, how to load Vanilla into Bluebird and much more.... at least 15-20 hours by now I would guess. Anyway, I was joking about the whiskey of course, and even if the time were wasted, it was entertaining to discover this whole new creative world.

Wish I had known MMS was going to do all of this work for me though. I would have been grateful for the baby step explanations back then.

As it is, I did purchase a few Vanillas in order to meet my minimum spending requirements for two other cards and I doubt I will get rejected for the Chase Ink despite going from pending to approved to pending.

Originally Posted by fti
How much time could you possibly have wasted? I have spent very little time getting the Bluebird card and applying for Chase Ink. Even including my phone call with Chase, well under 1 hour total.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
I think what you are missing here is that OD is NOT making money of the beans. The GM of the store in my town where I am well known and he would not lie to me told me they LOSE money selling them because the CC fee they pay is higher than the fee they get for selling them. Just sayin why some have gone to limit one
You're right. OD's not in the business of making money. Sorry I bothered all you geniuses in your basements.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by liw5215
just loaded some beans into PPC at www.vanillareload.com/, noticed the location dropdown has been expanded, now it includes W-mart. very interesting.
Geez, they want to sell more of their product. That doesn't make any sense. . .
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Called two days after web application, was approved and even given a credit line after 20-30 minute interview with a number of annoying questions. Called 10 days later to see why card was still not here and was told that application was pending! Seems like others have been having such a problem too per one of the threads in the credit card section of these forums, so make sure to call twice if the card is not here 10 days after application. Called a third time yesterday and was told that the delay could be because of the hurricane
Some bloggers are like a bad storm too that benefit only them in the long run factoring in the damage just like a storm.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Called two days after web application, was approved and even given a credit line after 20-30 minute interview with a number of annoying questions. Called 10 days later to see why card was still not here and was told that application was pending! Seems like others have been having such a problem too per one of the threads in the credit card section of these forums, so make sure to call twice if the card is not here 10 days after application. Called a third time yesterday and was told that the delay could be because of the hurricane
Storms like some bloggers that are the only ones to gain personally from the destruction. I would not be surprised if some CC's pay some of them more than referrals
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Over on slickdeals/fatwallet, the spirit is more share/abuse/shutdown quickly and i trust the reports more.
You care to buy a bridge I have for sale? I can post it at FWF if that makes you feel better.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:50 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Including learning about this whole concept essentially from scratch two weeks ago, differentiating between vanilla reload and vanilla, business charge card versus business credit card, two Office Depot scouting trips, Amex prepaid versus Bluebird prepaid study, applying for Bluebird prepaid and Amex prepaid online rather than at a store, trying to figure out how to pay my rent with Bluebird, how to load Vanilla into Bluebird and much more.... at least 15-20 hours by now I would guess. Anyway, I was joking about the whiskey of course, and even if the time were wasted, it was entertaining to discover this whole new creative world.

Wish I had known MMS was going to do all of this work for me though. I would have been grateful for the baby step explanations back then.

As it is, I did purchase a few Vanillas in order to meet my minimum spending requirements for two other cards and I doubt I will get rejected for the Chase Ink despite going from pending to approved to pending.
Well then a lot of that time was spent just getting up to speed in general regarding cards, which will be helpful in the future. I already knew the difference between charge/credit cards, etc. Fortunately I didn't take nearly as long to figure out Bluebird/AmEx prepaid, vanilla reload/vanilla gift card, etc. I won't work on the bill paying until I get money on the Bluebird.

In any case I am glad you are up to speed now.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:52 pm

Are these cards only available at Office Depot and Walmart, or is it just those stores that allow you to use a credit card to purchase and reload?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215
just loaded some beans into PPC at www.vanillareload.com/, noticed the location dropdown has been expanded, now it includes W-mart. very interesting.
Thanks! Checked the list, found some at Valero! Bought just one, pretty good deal with 6 HH points/$... now if only my Bluebird card would come in the mail already.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:13 am

deleted. yeah...i know its been quoted, but I relinquish all responsibility and leave it to the other posters to edit their posts.

Last edited by DrSifu; Nov 2, 2012 at 8:08 am Reason: as requested.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by DrSifu
What is all this talk about Office Depot? Chase bonuses are NOT exclusive to Office Depot. The 5x is for office supply stores. Venture out and explore my friends. Last I saw, you can buy Vanilla ice cream out in the Atlantic and Pacific ocean
Shhhhh :-)
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:02 am

The ice cream list just doubled in size! Do others find it worth it to use a premier gold card at supermarkets? i.e. walmarts that come out as food stores
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by DrSifu
What is all this talk about Office Depot? Chase bonuses are NOT exclusive to Office Depot. The 5x is for office supply stores. Venture out and explore my friends. Last I saw, you can buy Vanilla ice cream out in the Atlantic and Pacific ocean
That's why I asked about the availability and credit card acceptance at other locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.