Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: spg gold
I just got a Citi Thank You card comes with a 2500 spend. I just got 2500 in beans and will use BB to pay my CC bill.Citi's T&C does not tell me what I can buy or how much( only limited by line of credit) and why should Citi care where my payment comes from? And BB has a bill pay feature, and they don't talk about what I can pay or not pay.So what 's the problem? Yes if this is done repeatedly I guess it would look like at least like perk abuse.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: spg gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
At low levels, probably not. Approach the $50K max, I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Chase asking for some more information about the ongoing revenues of your "business." Since many businesses run on a 60% overhead figure (including employee salaries, rent, utilities, equipment replacement costs, etc.), are you prepared to show that your business's annual gross income approaches at least $80K?
Yes, I can
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
Of *course* it is the fault of he who must not be named, but referred to only as "MMS" lest other "deals" be eviscerated.

After all, who else posts a "deal" in the morning only to have it dead by afternoon? [Insert maniacal evil laugh! ]
Just because you treat your readers like a bunch of idiots no need for that here.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by y2chen
Sure, and that's completely valid. But that's also a completely different issue, is it not? If you were to put $50k of OD spending on the card, it wouldn't matter how you were paying off the card, you could get questioned by Chase. My point is a review by Chase or Amex or any card issuer wouldn't be tied to how those bills get paid, which goes back to my original point: why all the concern about paying cc bills using your BB balance?

I'll add that I won't be doing this. I'd rather use what funds I can load to take over other bill payments like rent/mortgage/utilities/etc. If there were a more abundant supply of beans around here, then I'd probably wander further into this direction.
In fact people have been questioned, and even shut down by Chase, for much, much less OD spending than that. There is a recent post either upthread on this or in the "Getting Spending Up..." thread from someone who got a call after a $1K spend, asked for receipts of what he bought, etc. How much and how often OD spend gets flagged varies obviously since many folks get away unnoticed with more than that. But there are other stories posted on FT, about Ink Bold shut-downs for OD spending gone awry.

That side of the equation can get someone in trouble long before you have to worry about if Chase cares that you're circulating the BB funds back to your Chase card.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
In fact people have been questioned, and even shut down by Chase, for much, much less OD spending than that. There is a recent post either upthread on this or in the "Getting Spending Up..." thread from someone who got a call after a $1K spend, asked for receipts of what he bought, etc. How much and how often OD spend gets flagged varies obviously since many folks get away unnoticed with more than that. But there are other stories posted on FT, about Ink Bold shut-downs for OD spending gone awry.

That side of the equation can get someone in trouble long before you have to worry about if Chase cares that you're circulating the BB funds back to your Chase card.
Yup, that was me upstream. Still got the card, but gotta be careful going forward.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by zanzibar
If this thing is shut down before I even get my Ink card (applied almost two weeks ago and still waiting).
Have you called the reconsideration number yet? If not, call now. Be prepared to answer questions about your 'business' and potentially roll credit around if you have other chase cards. But I wouldn't continue to just wait.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold
nm....
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Or...and I know this is crazy....you buy a reload for $496.05
Hey stop thinking outside the box

Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:57 pm

Smile more locations for the beans

just loaded some beans into PPC at www.vanillareload.com/, noticed the location dropdown has been expanded, now it includes W-mart. very interesting.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero

I would never speculate that a story is fabricated; however it is still hearsay. You can believe what you want. I am a skeptic until I see definitive evidence.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215
just loaded some beans into PPC at www.vanillareload.com/, noticed the location dropdown has been expanded, now it includes W-mart. very interesting.
Walmart and many other's were added. Indeed, interesting. Nice Find.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
without any inside insight into how the pricing and mechanics of all these pre-paids work we can only speculate on who is winning and who is losing in these games. however what is for sure is that with the huge spike in volume since this deal got publicized we are going to find out pretty soon who is hurting the most as whoever it is will make some kind of change. office depot, vanilla or amex are going to puke pretty quickly
Isn't BB a brand new product? Meaning, there wouldn't be a huge spike in volume, since the FTers have been on this from the jump. So as far as Amex is concerned, this level of volume is the baseline.

As for Chase, all they hafta do is update the terms of the 5x Ink bonus to exclude giftcards, neatly excising the opportunists from the intended demographic.

Cheers
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by bwelliott
What is the highest number of beans that anyone has harvested in a single purchase? I just want to make sure I don't raise the attention of the cardinals or any other interested parties.
Depends on how much your business spends annually on CC's. If only 100k then figure 10% on office so 2-3 at a time once a month. If 10 times that do whatever but with limit at 50k only use half of it like bloggers say to not get shut down
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by liw5215
Oh my...this game just keeps getting better and better.

Freedom 5x groceries...cha-ching.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by bwelliott
Wallyworld is classified as a a grocery merchant?
No it is not everywhere

Last edited by Nottafatslob; Nov 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.