Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by y2chen
Maybe its just me, but I don't get the concern about "circular" use with Chase. It's not like they administer BB, so they wouldn't know how your card gets funded. They don't know, though they can certainly guess, that all you're buying at OD are reloads. They only know that you spent $X amount at OD, and you're bill paying $X through a bill pay service. I don't see how this action alone would warrant a closer inspection of one's account.. it's what they'd expect from a normal cardholder, isn't it?

Now, say if you were paying off an AMEX card with BB, I could see where that circle could potentially cause some trouble, but not when you're going between two different banking entities.
At low levels, probably not. Approach the $50K max, I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Chase asking for some more information about the ongoing revenues of your "business." Since many businesses run on a 60% overhead figure (including employee salaries, rent, utilities, equipment replacement costs, etc.), are you prepared to show that your business's annual gross income approaches at least $80K?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why does everyone here assume OD pays Incomm face value for loads? Have we seen evidence of that?

Do people think OD pays Apple face value for iTunes cards?

Further, where does the assumption that OD gets the $3.95 come from?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Why does everyone here assume OD pays Incomm face value for loads? Have we seen evidence of that?

Do people think OD pays Apple face value for iTunes cards?

Further, where does the assumption that OD gets the $3.95 come from?
Interesting point. But cash and itunes have different intrinsic values, no? I guess the question is, how does Vanilla make its money?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:57 pm

It's my understanding that all Money Pass ATMs are free (at least for the moment). In that case you don't need direct deposit.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Having money pulled from your account to pay your mortgage or car loan does not work. I thought it could be done, went through everything and it seemed to work, but yesterday the funds still had not gone out of my BB account.
Looks like I'll be doing the same.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by st.exupery
It's my understanding that all Money Pass ATMs are free (at least for the moment). In that case you don't need direct deposit.
This is only good until November 4th, when Amex will start charging $2 for every ATM transaction. Then you'll need DD.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: All main US FF programs basic level
This guy probably has more readers than any of the popular frequent flyer bloggers:

http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/frequ...w-opportunity/

If this thing is shut down before I even get my Ink card (applied almost two weeks ago and still waiting), I might as well buy a bottle of Scotch as my first purchase on the new Ink card and celebrate hours of time wastage.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by zanzibar
This guy probably has more readers than any of the popular frequent flyer bloggers:

http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/frequ...w-opportunity/

If this thing is shut down before I even get my Ink card (applied almost two weeks ago and still waiting), I might as well buy a bottle of Scotch as my first purchase on the new Ink card and celebrate hours of time wastage.
his alexa ranking in the us is 18,933

mms is 11,198 in the us

tpg is 9,443 in the us

alexa rankings are like golf scores, lower are better

either way that's a lot of people reading about the deal
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by frozyn
This is only good until November 4th, when Amex will start charging $2 for every ATM transaction. Then you'll need DD.
In that case I'll ask my brokerage (Fidelity) to direct deposit. Unless people are having luck with Bill Pay or ACH.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: All main US FF programs basic level
I wonder if Alexa can be off by a lot? Alexa, Compete, Google Webmaster Tools/Analytics and my own website host provider's AWStats all give totally different stats for my own site's popularity so I have never trusted any of them fully.

Another reason I doubt Alexa is because CG has 92k Twitter followers, versus less than 3k for MMS (and less than 2k for FM, the most valuable of them all). And CG posts links to his site/blog almost daily on his Twitter feed. The multiplier effect of 92k Tweeters has got to be tremendous.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
his alexa ranking in the us is 18,933

mms is 11,198 in the us

tpg is 9,443 in the us

alexa rankings are like golf scores, lower are better

either way that's a lot of people reading about the deal

Last edited by zanzibar; Nov 1, 2012 at 3:52 pm
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
At low levels, probably not. Approach the $50K max, I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Chase asking for some more information about the ongoing revenues of your "business." Since many businesses run on a 60% overhead figure (including employee salaries, rent, utilities, equipment replacement costs, etc.), are you prepared to show that your business's annual gross income approaches at least $80K?
Sure, and that's completely valid. But that's also a completely different issue, is it not? If you were to put $50k of OD spending on the card, it wouldn't matter how you were paying off the card, you could get questioned by Chase. My point is a review by Chase or Amex or any card issuer wouldn't be tied to how those bills get paid, which goes back to my original point: why all the concern about paying cc bills using your BB balance?

I'll add that I won't be doing this. I'd rather use what funds I can load to take over other bill payments like rent/mortgage/utilities/etc. If there were a more abundant supply of beans around here, then I'd probably wander further into this direction.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Seems to me that the 2 huge weaknesses here are Chase and OD.

The Chase "problem" is obvious. The 5x points at office supply stores is obviously a "come on" offer for their Ink card. It's a loss leader. They probably figure a "typical" small business would be spending 50 bucks/month at stores like OD. Now, suddenly, many folks are spending thousands of dollars every month at OD. There's no way Chase is making money on those transactions by paying out 5x points.

But there could be a similar problem with OD. Does anybody know what profit a merchant gets on gift cards? I assume there's money to be made or the stores wouldn't carry them. But if you pay for the cards by credit card (like Ink), the store has to pay a credit card fee. So I'm wondering if OD actually makes money on this booming business in Vanilla reload cards.
Well, they set a 250,000 point a year limit for $50,000 in spending. That really limits the liability. I've spent hundreds of thousands on Chase cards so I hope they'll not mind.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by ftizzy
My go-to OD is now out of the beans but has been stocked this entire year.

Who should I thank first?
Originally Posted by koolr
MMS.
Of *course* it is the fault of he who must not be named, but referred to only as "MMS" lest other "deals" be eviscerated.

After all, who else posts a "deal" in the morning only to have it dead by afternoon? [Insert maniacal evil laugh! ]
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:58 pm

Sure, and that's completely valid. But that's also a completely different issue, is it not? If you were to put $50k of OD spending on the card, it wouldn't matter how you were paying off the card, you could get questioned by Chase. My point is a review by Chase or Amex or any card issuer wouldn't be tied to how those bills get paid, which goes back to my original point: why all the concern about paying cc bills using your BB balance?

I'll add that I won't be doing this. I'd rather use what funds I can load to take over other bill payments like rent/mortgage/utilities/etc. If there were a more abundant supply of beans around here, then I'd probably wander further into this direction.
If you have a good history with the card company, I don't think they are going to question a whole lot. I have spent a lot of money compared to my annual income on Amex, and they have never called me once to question the charges. I pay them off every month, so maybe that helps. I understand that if you spend $50k at one store on this card, that could raise a flag. But nothing says you can't use the card for other expenses other than your own business. There is a reason they put the 5x spend at certain stores on there...so people use their card there instead of others. People can always say that they are spending a lot there b/c their own person job reimburses them and they get the extra points (you don't have to say what you are buying)...If they say you can't do that and shut you down, that's just bad business (but certainly within their right).

I personally pull out my ink card when I usually use other one...simply to show i'm using it, and not just using it at OD. I think the doom and gloom is a little far fetched, but I do agree, depending on how much chase could be losing, that they limit it like Amex did. But i think getting shut down simply b/c you used the card exactly how they advertised is going to be limited to a very small percentage, and there will be other reasons involved, not just that you were spending money at OD.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

I think that most of the people who will be doing circular use of this wouldn't come anywhere close to putting $50K per year on the card for normal business expenses. So, one of the red flags is likely to be a sudden increase in monthly spending at OD from $50/month to $4000 per month (or even $1000). Not direct evidence that you're laundering funds (buy with Chase, use card to pay Chase, rinse, repeat with the same $4000 every month) but enough smoke that Chase will start looking for fires. And although none of the business credit card issuers normally asks for much verification of business income, they all reserve the right to do so.

Because I'm sure that just like many of the other threads here, there are Chase reps that keep an eye on these threads just to see what the current tricks are so they can determine which ones they want to shut down--and which they don't mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.