Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:07 pm

Has anyone been to an OD that has restocked Vanilla Reloads in the past 2-3 weeks? That is, have you gone to an OD, seen the rack completely empty, gone back again another day, and seen the rack replenished? I don't recall seeing any reports of refreshed stock.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Yeah. The one less than 5 minutes from my house was empty 2 weeks ago, and now has been restocked with a bunch. My wife bought 4K there a week and a half ago and I bought 2.5K there last week. The nice thing about BB is that now we can give a reasonable answer to the OD staff when they ask us what we need all these beans for.

Last edited by Preacher7; Oct 31, 2012 at 9:17 pm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Yeah. The one less than 5 minutes from my house was empty 2 weeks ago, and now has been restocked with a bunch. My wife bought 4K there a week and a half ago and I bought 2.5K there last week.
Thanks for the data point. That's encouraging. What region are you in?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Got this response to my registration:

Thank you for your recent registration for a Bluebird Account.

Unfortunately we are not able to validate your registration information at this time. In order for us to process your registration, please contact us at 1-866-340-2773 during the following business hours: Monday - Saturday, 6:00AM-6:00PM (MST).

Please be sure to call us within 2 weeks to ensure your registration is not cancelled.

Any thoughts on why? I will call when I get back in the country next week, but am just surprised they deny automatic registration like that. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
All purchases from Super Wal-Marts and Neighborhood Wal-Marts are always classed as Grocery by Chase, I know that from previously this year during the Freedom 5X category bonus. Pretty sure Amex will class it as the same. We've done all our grocery shopping at WM for over a decade. Is it unusual for WMs not to sell groceries? I'm serious. I've never seen a WM in the US that doesn't sell groceries. In Canada, yes, but not south of the 49th.
A few but they're more the exception anymore. Smaller, older WMs like the nearest one to me, don't have much in the way of groceries - at least not any fresh foods, and only a paltry selection of other items...though ours is now being expanded into a Super Wal-Mart with a regular grocery included. In the past it wasn't showing up as a grocery store on any of my cards, maybe now it will.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I try to be polite on discussion forums, but if you believe that there are folks that buy 50+ cards at a time on multiple occasions, then I got a bridge I can sell ya in Manhattan. And I accept Vanilla Reload cards for payment.

As for buying bean cards, I thinkiIt depends a lot on the store you go to...or for that matter, what manager is on duty. I got told one day at the OD I frequent that I can only buy one card at a time. I was told this was their "policy". I didn't bother pointing out that I've purchased several at a time on numerous occasions, because I didn't want the b*ttwipe going back to the management team in some meeting and actually changing the store policy. I just went back the next day, a different guy was on duty, and I bought 4.

Ultimately, if you get lucky enough to find a store that is well stocked, and you get to know the regular cashiers...THAT is the golden ticket. They smile when I walk in and never ask for ID any more. They just ring em up.

God I hope this lasts.
OK. My comment of "purchase what you want at OD" was taken to the extreme. The perception I have gotten is that you shouldn't purchase more than 2-3 beans per month. If you do, you will be shut down by Chase. I am not suggesting that purchasing 50 at a time won't get you shut down. It just appears to me that you can purchase more than 2-3 per month and be OK. I realize that people post these types of comments to discourage people from purchasing these beans.

Thanks for your response
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Yeah. The one less than 5 minutes from my house was empty 2 weeks ago, and now has been restocked with a bunch. My wife bought 4K there a week and a half ago and I bought 2.5K there last week. The nice thing about BB is that now we can give a reasonable answer to the OD staff when they ask us what we need all these beans for.
I say I give them out as bonuses/incentives to employees and clients. Of course, all the OD staff now wants employed at my 'business'
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:34 pm

I bet it will. And when it does get converted, do a small, test purchase with your Amex 6X/% cards, and see what it's coded as. If it comes back as groceries, you're in!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:36 pm

Yeah, with Christmas coming up, giving out reloads as bonuses is a plausible reason too.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:44 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I try to be polite on discussion forums, but if you believe that there are folks that buy 50+ cards at a time on multiple occasions, then I got a bridge I can sell ya in Manhattan. And I accept Vanilla Reload cards for payment.

As for buying bean cards, I thinkiIt depends a lot on the store you go to...or for that matter, what manager is on duty. I got told one day at the OD I frequent that I can only buy one card at a time. I was told this was their "policy". I didn't bother pointing out that I've purchased several at a time on numerous occasions, because I didn't want the b*ttwipe going back to the management team in some meeting and actually changing the store policy. I just went back the next day, a different guy was on duty, and I bought 4.

Ultimately, if you get lucky enough to find a store that is well stocked, and you get to know the regular cashiers...THAT is the golden ticket. They smile when I walk in and never ask for ID any more. They just ring em up.

God I hope this lasts.

Actually, n/m. Believe what you want.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by xp0
People can go at whatever pace they want. If I see reloads, I am buying them. All of them.
Hope i'm not in your city, haha.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:30 pm

I bet it will. And when it does get converted, do a small, test purchase with your Amex 6X/% cards, and see what it's coded as. If it comes back as groceries, you're in!
Except that 6% is limited to $6k/yr soon...
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, with Christmas coming up, giving out reloads as bonuses is a plausible reason too.
When I was chatting up my OD manager (ultimately with no luck, she couldn't find any reload cards), I told her that I get bonus points when I put my employees' spending on the cards. That was cool with her. I think it's good to "tell the truth" on this (well, some vague version of the truth) because I think what most managers would be concerned about is that you're involved in some illegal money laundering.

BTW, my whole exposure to this stuff makes me wonder what percentage of Visa/Mastercard/AMEX "gift cards" are actually used for their supposed intention (gifting money so friends/family can buy things).
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
BTW, my whole exposure to this stuff makes me wonder what percentage of Visa/Mastercard/AMEX "gift cards" are actually used for their supposed intention (gifting money so friends/family can buy things).
As long as they make a profit in the end (even after theft, etc...), I don't think they care. And it always amazes me to see people buy someone a $50 amex card at the grocery store with $4-5 fee. REALLY?!?!

So they are getting big percents from those people instantly. And that's if they don't lose the card and take the entire thing as profit (where the BIG money is at!)
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by xp0
Actually, n/m. Believe what you want.
Oh come on, lets hear it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.