Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ftizzy
My go-to OD is now out of the beans but has been stocked this entire year.

Who should I thank first?
MMS.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by koolr
MMS.
+1 ^^^
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
But this isn't aimed at big spenders. The median Walmart customer makes 10% or so less than the median US average (which is around US$45k). Even if the consumer spends $20k annually on things to be put on Bluebird, Amex would make 3% of that at most (likely less at Walmart, I'm assuming Walmart negotiated a new sweetheart deal with Amex on this). $600 annually isn't a lot in truth ($50 a month), and I would argue that this is aimed at people on the lower end of the above spending scale, so it would be even less.
But this is a market that AMEX can enter without cannibalizing any other customers of there own (FTers don't count).

Unlike Visa/MC who may serve these customers via debit products or other prepaid alternatives, this market is virtually untapped via AMEX. It's all stealing from the competitor.

The rest of the card market is quite saturated.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by johndoe123
But this is a market that AMEX can enter without cannibalizing any other customers of there own (FTers don't count).

Unlike Visa/MC who may serve these customers via debit products or other prepaid alternatives, this market is virtually untapped via AMEX. It's all stealing from the competitor.

The rest of the card market is quite saturated.
Right, this is all a fresh, untapped opportunity for Amex. That said, there is a reason they haven't gone after it sooner. Bluebird may simply make enough sense now, in terms of costs to Amex, to deal with the lowish revenue potential per customer. I'm sure Walmart also plays a big role in this, as Walmart has long wanted to have a bank, and Bluebird fills that function for them now.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:42 pm

Hmm, mortgage payment just completed with WF, but I see a $10 "fax fee" on my mortgage statement......
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fangtl
Hmm, mortgage payment just completed with WF, but I see a $10 "fax fee" on my mortgage statement......
Yikes - call up bank. That is interesting! Did it go through with normal ACH and you searched in BB successfully, or did you have to enter payment info manually?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by ftizzy
My go-to OD is now out of the beans but has been stocked this entire year.

Who should I thank first?
MMS.

But I do give the guy credit, he doesn't censor comments on his blog unlike many of the other bloggers.

That said, when it comes to sign up for the Ink Plus in a couple weeks, I'll go through The Frequent Miler whereas before I would always go through MMS. I always appreciated MMS openness however he's completely lost it on all these Bluebird posts recently.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Yikes - call up bank. That is interesting! Did it go through with normal ACH and you searched in BB successfully, or did you have to enter payment info manually?
I located the WF mortgage info using BB. Anyone else with a WF mortgage got hit with this $10 fax fee?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:47 pm

I located the WF mortgage info using BB. Anyone else with a WF mortgage got hit with this $10 fax fee?
Back to MO??????
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
If the subject being discussed doesn't meet what you want from it, start a new thread or stop posting. I've gotten everything I can out of this thread so I will stop posting in it and will unsubscribe, there is no point in any further discussion in the nature we are having. I will keep posting if directly related to Bluebird, nothing else.
Than start a new thread with you daily updates of how many blue birds you fed and how many green stores you drove thru.. None of us care and it has very little to do with Walmart/Bluebird card itself.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not good, since a lot of people do have WF mortgages. It is only 1% of a $1000 mortgage payment but it does reduce the margin on this a bit. Maybe make multiple payments if you can float the money?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:28 pm

Talked to the Asst. Manager at OD today, he said that the gift cards are not stacked by OD corporate, but rather through an indie contractor. Hence there being a phone number on the rack to order more. anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Talked to the Asst. Manager at OD today, he said that the gift cards are not stacked by OD corporate, but rather through an indie contractor. Hence there being a phone number on the rack to order more. anyone else have thoughts on this?
It is more common than many think. When I worked in retail, all of our movies were stocked by an outside company. They ordered everything and would assist during new release day as well. Several other sections in the store functioned similarly.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by leftpinky
My thought is that every time we go to OD's, we should probably be flipping back to that number and calling for them to restock, regardless of how many are on the rack.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by frozyn
My thought is that every time we go to OD's, we should probably be flipping back to that number and calling for them to restock, regardless of how many are on the rack.
Yeah, I think so...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.