Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Found some vanilla at my local OD payed with credit card plus a random $25 amex giftcard I had lying around. Tried a Walgreens but didn't accept credit cards for it.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Sponge9
I went to pick up a couple of reloads this morning at a nearby OD and they rang up with sales tax. This hasn't been an issue at the other OD I've been buying them at. The clerks claimed that they didn't have any control over how the transaction rang up at the counter, and to their knowledge, gift cards are always charged sales tax. I explained to them that that is not true, but they were just indifferent about it. I'm going to plunder my go-to OD this afternoon. Hopefully this is just an isolated issue.
They are not allowed to do that with any gift cards, period. Double taxation.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by ricohitman
That's really weird. I've never been charged sales tax on any gift cards I have bought.
Agreed...when I bought 2 x $500 gift cards + 1 pack of gum, I was only charged sales tax on the gum.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
The clerks claimed that they didn't have any control over how the transaction rang up at the counter
Likely true, it is bad coding by whoever enters the product into the OD POS system. It shouldn't be charged but the clerk can't override that.

and to their knowledge, gift cards are always charged sales tax
Of course, completely false.

I explained to them that that is not true, but they were just indifferent about it. I'm going to plunder my go-to OD this afternoon. Hopefully this is just an isolated issue.
Should be an isolated issue. Should have tried to buy an OD GC and see what happened .
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:21 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
My bird is activated and in full flight. Gotta keep it soaring as long as possible before we all get our wings clipped.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Has anyone else gotten the "you already have a Serve account" message even though you already canceled your Serve account(s) many months ago? None of my email addresses are recognized as valid Serve accounts when I try to log in on Serve.com. Is there any other known way to resolve this problem?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by MidnightLight
Has anyone else gotten the "you already have a Serve account" message even though you already canceled your Serve account(s) many months ago? None of my email addresses are recognized as valid Serve accounts when I try to log in on Serve.com. Is there any other known way to resolve this problem?
If I recall correctly, some posters reported that situation early on. Probably near the front of the thread. I think they resolved it by calling.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:00 am

Payment to US bank credit card denied...

Are credit card paymeents not going through???
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MidnightLight
do you have cellphone or home phone? give them a call
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:27 am

Tried to buy at Family Dollar

Family Dollar was my closest store for a quick try.

cashier tried to accept both an SPG AMEX card and Ink Mastercard.
Both were denied. Perhaps Family Dollar does not accpt creditcards
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by jrreynolds

Some other people reported this a few pages ago.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by jrreynolds

FD only accepts Visa for any purchase, and even then I haven't seen reports of it working for ice cream purchases. Amex and MC definitely won't work as the register won't even process.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
My bird is activated and in full flight. Gotta keep it soaring as long as possible before we all get our wings clipped.
hey how 'bout that...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
so at Family Dollar... you must load the cards on the spot, right? my local one just had fake reload cards with a UPC on the back. I assume that you must have the BB card with you to load directly to it, and then pay with whatever form.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin
so at Family Dollar... you must load the cards on the spot, right? my local one just had fake reload cards with a UPC on the back. I assume that you must have the BB card with you to load directly to it, and then pay with whatever form.
I think one or two people tried this a few posts back...

I believe you have to load on spot and no it did not take CC.

The "fake" reloads are how FD sells the reloads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.