Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by alexlar2007
Every time I go shopping for Vanilla cards, I actually buy real ice cream. Ice cream shop is located right near OD and sells organic vanilla.
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
+1. At least you are buying a Vanilla
I have a huge supply of liquid vanilla that I bought in Mexico last year at $8/L (though I did have to pay cash and no receipt was provided for IVA refund)
The closest US OD is 72 miles from my house so not too bad.
(The closest one in Canada is already 8 miles, so I may as well cross.)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Quick question, why are some many "buying" the card when you can order it for free on-line? Did I miss something? Just so you could play with how to load?
Simple so that I don't have to wait up to 10 days for it to come in the mail and then perhaps have to wait a few days if there are any glitches.
I have already used mine that I Bought to make a payment to my GF which comes in the mail and can take up to 4 business days.

I can load more on it with my debit card but the temp card has a limit of 500that can be on it. So I should be able to do a few deals before cards come in the mail to people. Temp cards can't use the ATM and have limited loading but it is still functional.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by Stoughton
What? And leave all those asking questions that can't possibly be answered yet hanging in suspense?
Yah no reason to go out to the store and do some work and figure it all out hands on. Hopefully many people will wait for months LOL
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:28 pm

to a certain extent, i think that vanilla will last at OD. at the very least, people buying $500 vanilla gift cards will increase their annual revenue.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:33 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
I have no problem finding the Vanilla reload packs but have not been able to find a My Vanilla Visa card. Anybody else have this problem?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid
to a certain extent, i think that vanilla will last at OD. at the very least, people buying $500 vanilla gift cards will increase their annual revenue.
...and lower their profit. Great way to stay in business.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QL_714
...and lower their profit. Great way to stay in business.
OD isn't selling those cards at a loss
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:55 pm

Went to the Walmart Neighborhood grocery to pick some potatoes up and they had a decent size displace near the entrance in the middle of the isle, very hard to miss.

Looks like there are fees on the card. $2 to load via atm and $1 for cash maybe? Not sure what the $1 was for. No other fees listed.

Tried buying with my AMEX and it didn't go through, as reported by others. Decided not to buy it since the real one should come in a week or so.

Will go back later and take a picture.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:57 pm

OD isn't selling those cards at a loss
OD probably makes some, but not a lot off the cards. If you buy with an Amex, they're looking at 2.5%, or $12.50 per card. I would think their margin is maybe 5% on cards, but could be as high as 10%, but that seems highly unlikely, more like 2-3% plus the $3.95, so you're looking at around $12-15, or maybe a little more than break even after fees and all that.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by leftpinky
OD probably makes some, but not a lot off the cards. If you buy with an Amex, they're looking at 2.5%, or $12.50 per card. I would think their margin is maybe 5% on cards, but could be as high as 10%, but that seems highly unlikely, more like 2-3% plus the $3.95, so you're looking at around $12-15, or maybe a little more than break even after fees and all that.
I think you are looking at this wrong. OD makes virtually nothing. This is a loss leader for them. Transaction profits got to AMEX for transaction fee and vanilla for card premium cost. This is why more and mor OD's are nor restocking
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WOXOF
I think you are looking at this wrong. OD makes virtually nothing. This is a loss leader for them. Transaction profits got to AMEX for transaction fee and vanilla for card premium cost. This is why more and mor OD's are nor restocking
Individual OD's don't determine restocking or card distribution of gift card displays. This is per the mgr at my local
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
Individual OD's don't determine restocking or card distribution of gift card displays. This is per the mgr at my local
Well, my 0D,s. all 3 of them have filled the racks that used to hold VN cards with something else. Don't know who makes the decision, but vanilla are not being restocked according to store managers
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Well, my 0D,s. all 3 of them have filled the racks that used to hold VN cards with something else. Don't know who makes the decision, but vanilla are not being restocked according to store managers
When I asked him if he knew when it would be restocked, he said he didn't know, that they don't find out what is going to be on the rack until it shows up.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:29 pm

I am actually interested in knowing the financial arrangements. I mean obviously OD probably pays ~$10 in transaction fees on the CC. They probably get to keep the purchase fee. However, it wouldn't surprise me that Vanilla cuts them another 1-2% service fee to sell the thing and OD really isn't losing money at all. OD also gets you in the door.

I mean, Vanilla probably passes the value on to AMEX for next to nothing (or a very small fee). Vanillas take is simply interest and the value in unredeemed reload cards. It doesn't take more than 2-4% of them to go unredeemed to make this profitable for Vanilla, although I suspect the percentage is very low.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I have a huge supply of liquid vanilla that I bought in Mexico last year at $8/L (though I did have to pay cash and no receipt was provided for IVA refund)
The closest US OD is 72 miles from my house so not too bad.
(The closest one in Canada is already 8 miles, so I may as well cross.)
Do beans bought from a Canadian depot offer the same benefits as one bought from a US store? If so, that would be interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.