Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by QL_714
How about your blog?
You really need to get over the obsession of dissing blogs, it can't be good for your health
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:15 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by Preacher7
An Ink Visa. This. Changes. Things. Merry Christmas to me!
Does it really change many things? Nah...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Next question: What's the most Ink cards someone has had?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:26 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by Preacher7
It does change things where I live, where beans are a-plenty.

Next question: What's the most Ink cards someone has had?
Depending on the person. Normal people I would presume 2-4. Abnormal people I would say 4-8. Extraterrestrial people I would say 8+.

Yes. All of those people do exist.

edit -- I wish I had access to 200+ 'beans'. That sure would make life easy... Not that it is not now, but it would just make the good life even better.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Chase added the 5x after consulting with focus groups about what bonus categories they would like. I doubt they will remove the bonus, just send the Cardinals out to either gently warn or go ahead and shut an account down.
I disagree - I firmly believe that they will reduce the amount of 5x that counts, just as Amex has done with the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Lots of bad PR by closing accounts but lowering $50k limit is the best way to handle this.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Chase added the 5x after consulting with focus groups about what bonus categories they would like. I doubt they will remove the bonus, just send the Cardinals out to either gently warn or go ahead and shut an account down.
I disagree - I firmly believe that they will reduce the amount of 5x that counts, just as Amex has done with the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Lots of bad PR by closing accounts but lowering $50k limit is the best way to handle this.
You misinterpreted what I said. I was referring to a full out removal of the 5x. That won't happen in my opinion. A reduction or limitation is more likely.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:04 pm
xp0

You misinterpreted what I said. I was referring to a full out removal of the 5x. That won't happen in my opinion. A reduction or limitation is more likely.
A reduction or limitation will make it easier to complete. I am not sure I see them lowering or limiting the 5x. How many people do you honestly believe are maxing out the 50k per year multiple times? How many do you think are even doing it once?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Ah k
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by xp0
A reduction or limitation will make it easier to complete. I am not sure I see them lowering or limiting the 5x. How many people do you honestly believe are maxing out the 50k per year multiple times? How many do you think are even doing it once?
Now I worded it poorly, I was referring to a limitation of the amount that qualifies for 5x. That's what I get for typing responses last minute at the gate after a transcon!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
indeed one can get the mastercard and visa versions of both the ink bold and the ink plus...
Really? I'm not so sure about that. I've never heard of a Visa version of either Ink Bold or Ink Plus - I think they're all MasterCards. The google machine doesn't turn up any promising links, either. Got a linky?

Have you ever seen any indication that there's really a Visa version of these - has anyone? - or is it just an urban legend?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by xp0
Not sure why you would get "shut down" mid way through your trip unless you are doing crazy things like adding a ton of AUs or other odd things (And not sure why you would do that while traveling on random wireless networks). Let them know you are traveling and you are fine. "Random" FRs are sprung by oddities. Traveling around and purchasing things like food, hotels, etc are not one of them.

My "random" FR came from adding 15 AUs in one night prep'ing for SBS.
I don't mean FR, I mean amex PRE-PAID randomly deciding to suspend your account (as they did mine). My account was suspended without warning and I still haven't gotten it back open again. I made no transactions, this was solely because I logged in from an overseas computer.

My point is just that this may be a great additional card to take when traveling but I wouldn't rely on it. For starters they don't even have 24/7 customer service (Major inconvenience when I've been trying to get ahold of them for over a week and am overseas - my card still doesn't work).
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
The closest thing AMEX had was the open 5% business discount at officemax. They recently made it so it no longer applies in the retail store, but offers a 10% cash discount on officemax.com instead. I can only guess why.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by joesmoe
I don't mean FR, I mean amex PRE-PAID randomly deciding to suspend your account (as they did mine). My account was suspended without warning and I still haven't gotten it back open again. I made no transactions, this was solely because I logged in from an overseas computer.

My point is just that this may be a great additional card to take when traveling but I wouldn't rely on it. For starters they don't even have 24/7 customer service (Major inconvenience when I've been trying to get ahold of them for over a week and am overseas - my card still doesn't work).
It sucks, but most banks and others do this to.

For banking/finance, always bounce off a US host. Set up logmein.com host or similar and go from there.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:38 am

Doing that much OD spend in one year is quite a challenge.... Let us know if you've been successful

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
indeed one can get the mastercard and visa versions of both the ink bold and the ink plus... that gets you $200k potential spend

then there is the ink cash... which has 5x up to $25k spend... mc and visa gets you to $250k

and ink classic etc....

that's a lot of ultimate rewards

problem is you'd spend so much time chasing the points you'd never actually have time to redeem any
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by joesmoe

I call BS. I log in from my overseas computer to check my AMEX Prepaid account every day. No issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.