Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
Well ... if you have a spouse you can max that 50k out 4 times a year... thats a lot of reloads needed
Why only four times?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Has anybody tried to load the visa gift cards as a debit card like works with Serve? The ones that I'm talking about come from GiftCardMall.com, but others have been buying them at actual brick and mortar stores too.

I just canceled my Serve account to get a Bluebird, but don't have any OD near me. So, I'm hoping to be able to have some options of loading my new BB to earn points on things that I can't normally get points for by using the Bill Pay feature.

I'd kind of assume that they would work since it seems that Bluebird is basically a rebranded Serve with some extra features. Anybody have any experience with it?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by joesmoe
No because don't they charge a foreign transaction fee?
No.

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
The Amex Pre-Paid site says "no transaction fees" - shouldn't the only charge be for use of a foreign ATM?
Correct, and if you call Amex to tell them what country you are going to, they will give you a list of recommended bank atms that work well with the card. Amex provided about 6 for China, 4 of which were easily seen in every city visited.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:17 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by QL_714
Why only four times?
I only have one spouse, no kids, and not roping my parents into anymore CC signups/deals/etc then they already are involved in. 1M UR per year is a decent amount for my wife and me that do not travel *that* much since we both have demanding full time jobs. That is, 1M UR is enough if I can manufacture enough 5x spending a year to accommodate that, which at the moment, I am not doing. Right now I am roughly at ~10k/month without the use of reloads since I am unable to find anymore.

Perhaps I am missing something though? If yes, please hit me up via PM
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Another reason I wouldn't rely on the amex prepaid card for an overseas trip is if you get 'shut down' mid way through your trip you may have some serious financial problems.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:25 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by joesmoe
Another reason I wouldn't rely on the amex prepaid card for an overseas trip is if you get 'shut down' mid way through your trip you may have some serious financial problems.
Not sure why you would get "shut down" mid way through your trip unless you are doing crazy things like adding a ton of AUs or other odd things (And not sure why you would do that while traveling on random wireless networks). Let them know you are traveling and you are fine. "Random" FRs are sprung by oddities. Traveling around and purchasing things like food, hotels, etc are not one of them.

My "random" FR came from adding 15 AUs in one night prep'ing for SBS.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:53 pm

went to OD near by and they were out of vanilla reload cards and manager said they have no plans of restocking anytime soon...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
I only have one spouse, no kids, and not roping my parents into anymore CC signups/deals/etc then they already are involved in. 1M UR per year is a decent amount for my wife and me that do not travel *that* much since we both have demanding full time jobs. That is, 1M UR is enough if I can manufacture enough 5x spending a year to accommodate that, which at the moment, I am not doing. Right now I am roughly at ~10k/month without the use of reloads since I am unable to find anymore.

Perhaps I am missing something though? If yes, please hit me up via PM
5x rewards are capped at $50k per year.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
I think one thing you are also missing is that I believe these need to be bought with cash. It is very hard to find a CVS that takes CC and even ones that were are starting to be cash only now
Thanks. I didn't want to try it since they wouldn't be beneficial with me, so I didn't realize they would get shut down with a CC.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:28 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by brokestudent
Thanks. I didn't want to try it since they wouldn't be beneficial with me, so I didn't realize they would get shut down with a CC.
Buying reloads at CVS would be beneficial. I wish I could....
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
Yes. Why roll the eyes? If I didnt get them they would have been out the next time I went. Also, if I bought all 47 of them or 5 of people bought 10 each (and the unlucky one only got 7) whats the difference? All of them where bought and all would have been bought by a chase ink card. Its not like Chase is "saving" points by having different people at 5x buy them or one person at 5x buying them.

That 47 was just at one store. Other stores I went to had close to that ... and again, when I left, they had 0.
Hey I would have done the same and anybody else would if they can float the 23k at OD...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by snugglening
Hey I would have done the same and anybody else would if they can float the 23k at OD...
Not really, no. I think many of us are taking a more conservative approach because we don't want to get shut down.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by snugglening
Sounds totally insane to me. Plus honestly, how much money can anyone really have tied up at one time like that? And certainly Chase isn't going to allow it.

You're all dreaming.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: spg gold
I think MM ran like 50k in like 3 weeks?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by lbotez
Sounds totally insane to me. Plus honestly, how much money can anyone really have tied up at one time like that? And certainly Chase isn't going to allow it.

You're all dreaming.
You are right. Nothing here, time to move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.