Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Oct 27, 12, 6:40 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
FWIW just saw an ad for Bluebird on ESPN2 during college football.
If we were watching the same Pac12 game, I hope you thoroughly enjoyed it as much as I did...^
Old Oct 27, 12, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
If we were watching the same Pac12 game, I hope you thoroughly enjoyed it as much as I did...^
I believe it was the same game, I have no particular love (nor hate) for the Wildcats of AZ, guess I'm indifferent, but always good to see USC lose, particularly when I'm in San Diego .

I'm actually happy Amex is advertising Bluebird. Hopefully anything we do stays more under the radar that way.
Old Oct 27, 12, 6:53 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by webazoid View Post
lol... those workers are wearing blue..just like bluebird. lol
Someone should let them know their paychecks can be direct deposited onto a Bluebird account. Talk about a vanilla double-dip!
Old Oct 27, 12, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by DL172 View Post
Can gift cards be used to load a bb? What about the AMEX prepaid gift cards?
Nope and nope.
Old Oct 27, 12, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Alaska MVP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
I want to encourage the fearless to keep trying Walgreens. I struck out at 2 Walgreens before having success at a third.
Old Oct 27, 12, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20 View Post
very jealous of all you successful bean harvesters! here in the beautiful garden state beans are nowhere to be found. i went hunting today for the first time while running errands - none at 2 OD or 2 7/11's. 1 walgreens had them but would only take cash. alas i don't think i'l be able to join the fun
If you're anywhere near Central Jersey, send me a PM........got one today and there were a few more left (Walgreens, not OD) - put some water and a $500 refill on my biz PRG.

Gonna try to the OD near me to see if it's worth getting an Ink Bold within the next couple of days.
Old Oct 27, 12, 7:51 pm

I believe it was the same game, I have no particular love (nor hate) for the Wildcats of AZ, guess I'm indifferent, but always good to see USC lose, particularly when I'm in San Diego .

I'm actually happy Amex is advertising Bluebird. Hopefully anything we do stays more under the radar that way.
NOOOO, as an Oregon fan, I was hoping USC was going to be like a virgin on prom night, but they had to go screw it up and lose to Stanford and THEN AZ. I wanted USC to be pristine and then we obliterate them. It's like we went from sloppy seconds, to trashy thirds!!

Then with KSU winning, they will probably be #2 BCS and ND will jump to 3rd if they win, and with USC falling to 13-17 or so and then to 23-25th after next week, they might not even win the Pac12 south and we wont get that SOS bump.
Old Oct 27, 12, 7:51 pm

Can't get any Walgreens or gas stations to accept CC to get vanillas anymore. OD doesn't have any either. My BB and my reloadable Amex debit are effectively useless. Ugh
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I wonder why BB/banks/prepaid cards desperately want people to do direct deposit of their paychecks onto their product. That has to be a 0 profit thing, why does, for example, BB waive the ATM fee, or many bank checking accounts waive checking account fees with $X in direct deposits each month? I'm sure BB makes nothing off me putting direct deposit onto it, why do they waive a fee for me if I do?
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:26 pm

I wonder why BB/banks/prepaid cards desperately want people to do direct deposit of their paychecks onto their product.
Free checking is to gain you as a customer and banks make quite a bit of their money from overdraft and other fees on checking accounts. In this case the BB is aimed at the unbanked and they figure if you deposit your paycheck onto the BB then you will use it for purchases rather than some other card and they will get the transaction money. Also if you use it at Walmart they probably have a sweet deal on low fees with AMEX so it will be cheaper for Walmart than if you use a different banks card for Walmart purchases.
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:27 pm

I wonder why BB/banks/prepaid cards desperately want people to do direct deposit of their paychecks onto their product. That has to be a 0 profit thing, why does, for example, BB waive the ATM fee, or many bank checking accounts waive checking account fees with $X in direct deposits each month? I'm sure BB makes nothing off me putting direct deposit onto it, why do they waive a fee for me if I do?
I would assume they make their money off the other end with the merchant fees and the float. Assuming the card takes off and has millions with float balance and using it at Wally's and all the other places they shop there has to be some profit in it.
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:30 pm

i wonder besides mileage hobbyists, who else is grabbing the vanillas?
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:34 pm

Because most people hate banking and once they get it set up, they're likely to leave it. It's helps retain the customer base.
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
NOBODY lol
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:38 pm

My guess is money launderers they way I'm looked at when I try to buy one...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: